Thread: How to Tie the Earl Brinn Pompano Rig

How to Tie the Earl Brinn Pompano Rig

http://www.examiner.com/fishing-in-c...inn-bottom-rig

Let me know what you think! We've been needing a bottom rig post, so here you go. I'll be doing some more later.

Seems needlessly complex.

I think I'll just stick with tying simple dropper loops in flouro leader.

looks good, But what dude said.

I have been tying a variation of this rig since last year. It's more simple than droppers once you see it done a couple times. To attach my snells I form a dbl. overhand knot just as with a slimbeauty knot. Pass the tag end of the snell through the figure eight formed by the dbl overhand and finish with a 3 turn uni. When done with the 2-3 or even 4 snells turn the whole thing over and the hooks will stick straight out from the rig.

Complex to put in words, but stupid easy to tie. All ya do is tie a swivel one one end, a snap on the other, tie two overhand knots, stick a piece of line for your hook through the overhand knot and tie a uni knot. I like it much better than a dropper loop and it's just as easy.

Yep, a little too much going on there. I like the "fish mojo" puppy drum rig with fluoro......pretty simple rig and seems to catch just about anything with yur hook size.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothLures View Post
    Complex to put in words, but stupid easy to tie. All ya do is tie a swivel one one end, a snap on the other, tie two overhand knots, stick a piece of line for your hook through the overhand knot and tie a uni knot. I like it much better than a dropper loop and it's just as easy.
    That's six knots and you don't even have hooks attached yet.

It is still nice to have dropper loops on this rig. I like to be able to replace hooks on fluoro snells when I get bit off by a bluefish or other small toothy beast. I have a bit of a problem with making "100% disposable" rigs. If you are patient, you can back off those double overhand knots a bit to slip in a new leader, but it is more than a bit of a hassle.

I have hand tied hundreds of this type of rig, (and variations thereof) and I just keep coming back to the dropper loops. I am a big believer in fresh hooks every trip out, and this makes it even less sensible to tie with "dedicated" drop leaders.

I tried this rig and while it is a good solid rig I prefer loops myself (double overhand). With the loops I can change hooks and bead colors on the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumintheSuds View Post
    I tried this rig and while it is a good solid rig I prefer loops myself (double overhand). With the loops I can change hooks and bead colors on the fly.
    That depends on the fish. They work better as pompano rigs with an invisible drop leader. That doubled over loop is anything but subtle. Will it catch? Sure. However, on a day when a pompano is finicky, you double your chances with a single strand, invisible leader. (in my experience - around these parts, pompano are my specialty)

However, there are many variations for other species. This "Earl Brinn" is just a version of a "Poor Man's Rig". Been around forever...

The rig was designed for pomps. Keeping this in mind, in a half gal. zip I store 3' leaders with a loop type knot ( I prefer the perfection knot) one end , snap swivel opposite end. In another zip bag I store snelled hooks with one end knotless so they won,t tangle. If you leave them long they can be tied onto the main leader any length you prefer when putting the rig together ( i.e. with overhand or fig. eight and uni ), which is on the beach for me.

And I dunno about you guys, but I'm not making 3-4' rigs out of 100% fluorocarbon.

And I dunno about you guys, but I'm not making 3-4' rigs out of 100% fluorocarbon.
    250yds 20# flouro = $15.00 (.06/yd)

250yds 20# mono = $2.50 (.01/yd)

For an extra nickel per, I'll gladly tie less knots and be able to rehook my rigs.

fluorocarbon is a waste of money IMO.......People caught fish long before fluoro and pink ande works fine and dandy. I know some will argue but like I said it's just my opinion.

I make mine out of 40lb mono, (main leader) with approximately 4" long fluoro drop leaders. Sometimes the drop leaders have beads and floats, sometimes they do not. (All variations thereof seem to work sometimes, and not others)

fluorocarbon is a waste of money IMO.......People caught fish long before fluoro and pink ande works fine and dandy. I know some will argue but like I said it's just my opinion.
    People took a dump before toilet paper, too.

Opinion noted, but fluoro is king for invisibility. And yes, it does make a difference. I discovered this on a snook fishing trip one day. Story for another time, but don't underestimate fluoro. That being said, don't make your entire rig from it, or spool your reel with it.

You can still carry some pre-tied snoods with you and change out. You don't have to back out anything. Just clip the old leader close and tie an overhand above or below the old knot. Just don't pull the old leader all the way out. Leave it in the old knot to keep it from cinching down too far. You can repair it very quickly once you get used to tying it.

Earl didn't have issues with bluefish chewing his fine rigs. He used long shank circle hooks. He also proved to me that a figure 8 knot was not an advantage over the overhand knot.

The key to getting the most out of it comes from proper technique. Like many other things, it depends on the man doing it.

Dropper loops work well, too. But when using certain hooks, it is hard to get the line to pass through. This rig gets you past that obstacle. Also, when using smaller sized beads, a loop may not get through.

If you can get away with casting lighter leaders, as in 15lb test, a dropper loop would be preferable. The Brinn rig is meant to offer 'stand-off' for the snoods. Light line doesn't do that for you. I make mine using a 60lb main line and 25lb flouro snoods. Sometimes heavier. If the snood is too light it can wrap around the main line.

I tie up snelled snoods and add beads, then when I have enough of them, start forming the main rig bodies and attaching. Take your time. Form the Uni first, then slide it towards the overhand, then close the overhand some, then cinch the uni tight and pull it towards the overhand. Finally, once everything is in place, tighten that overhand tight. The overhand must be tight. Oh....don't trim the tag end too close, it might pull through.

Old Earl figured these things long long ago, and he did a fine job. Catch me on the sand and I will have at least two of them soaking. They catch fish.

There are many variations of rigs and no one rig does it all. Just experiment some and see what works best for you. Then PRACTICE tying them until you make a perfect rig everytime. This is just another rig to try. Confidence is a wonderful thing when something big eats your little piece of bait.

You should use a swivel at the sinker because when retrieving, a sinker tends to bounce and twirl around.

Quote Originally Posted by FishinMortician View Post
    Dropper loops work well, too. But when using certain hooks, it is hard to get the line to pass through. This rig gets you past that obstacle. Also, when using smaller sized beads, a loop may not get through.
    I tie small dropper loops and tie my leaders directly ONTO them. I don't do the "pass through and over" on the hook shank. This is where my version of the rig differs greatly. It makes it so much easier to tie on new drop leaders. Just gotta keep 'em small. (I use a pencil or other small round object to keep the loop open when I tighten it down)

There are many variations of rigs and no one rig does it all. Just experiment some and see what works best for you. Then PRACTICE tying them until you make a perfect rig everytime. This is just another rig to try. Confidence is a wonderful thing when something big eats your little piece of bait.
    This is a true statement. I spent all season this year trying and testing variations, and even found applications for other species. Without a doubt, this is one of the most versatile rigs I have ever used...

Quote Originally Posted by solid7 View Post
    People took a dump before toilet paper, too.

Opinion noted, but fluoro is king for invisibility. And yes, it does make a difference. I discovered this on a snook fishing trip one day. Story for another time, but don't underestimate fluoro. That being said, don't make your entire rig from it, or spool your reel with it.
    Not trying to argue but how does leader material on a bottom rig make a difference when you have a hook that is clearly visible to a fish at the end of it? A fish doesn't know what fluoro is or even what a hook is. The bait on the hook is the only thing attractive or unattractive to a fish. I always fish with a bead because I think it helps fish looking for fleas and coquinas to find my bait easier. I don't think the leader material is going to keep a fish from hitting fresh shrimp, a sandflea or cut bait.

Complex to put in words, but stupid easy to tie.
    I personally despise loops. Solid7 got me to thinking about being able to tie on replacement droppers. I came up with this idea; tie an overhand knot on the main leader line and cinch it down, then tie the dropper directly to the main line above the overhand knot with a uni knot. The dropper can slide up the line, but the overhand knot acts as a stopper stopping it from sliding down. I tested this with 16# Momoi Hi Catch on to 30# of the same, it seemed strong when pulled to failure. I didn't put a scale on it or test it against any other connections however. Therefore my claims are based on my feel and opinion. If I was working with presnelled droppers, I feel confident in being able to make one of these rigs under a minute.

Not trying to argue but how does leader material on a bottom rig make a difference when you have a hook that is clearly visible to a fish at the end of it? A fish doesn't know what fluoro is or even what a hook is. The bait on the hook is the only thing attractive or unattractive to a fish. I always fish with a bead because I think it helps fish looking for fleas and coquinas to find my bait easier. I don't think the leader material is going to keep a fish from hitting fresh shrimp, a sandflea or cut bait.
    The pompano rig is not a "bottom rig", and pompano, as a species, are notoriously "leader shy". Some will argue that they still catch them, even with highly visible leaders, but as a fisherman, and one who immensely enjoys eating pompano, I aim to compensate for their likes and dislikes, so as to catch as many as possible per outing. We can only guess to a degree why they like or dislike something, but when something works, it just does. (and sometimes that is all that matters - not the science behind it)

I like to fish pompano, and I catch a lot of them. What boggles my mind even more than why fluoro leaders seem to persuade them where mono sometimes doesn't, is why a bronze colored hook works so darn well? (I seem to catch 2-to-1 with bronze Kahle over other types of hooks) Considering that nothing dulls faster than a bronze Kahle hook, and I have to change them out sometimes 2 or 3 times on the same rig, I don't particularly enjoy it, but it works, and I make my rigs according to that fact.

Just for conversation - I learned the merit of fluoro while snook fishing one day. I was next to 2 kids, about 12 years old each. They were catching the snot out of snook. I hadn't caught one all day. I was using EXACTLY the same bait. (live mojarra) One of the kids sees me struggling, and says, "try this." He hands me a 7/0 RED circle hook, and tells me to put it on a fluoro leader. I did it, baited the hook, and FIRST cast out, caught a 3' snook, fishing the same spot that I had been in for a half hour. I proceeded to catch 2 more in a matter of about 20 minutes.
    Last edited by solid7; 04-19-2011 at 09:56 AM.

I've used most everything down to #10/#12 for small spots for bait, and I have yet to find any hook eyes that I can't get 15# dropper loops through. YMMV.

Indeed, I tie most of my table fish rigs out of 20 lb Sufix, it's a pink/peach color.

Quote Originally Posted by dudeondacouch View Post
    I've used most everything down to #10/#12 for small spots for bait, and I have yet to find any hook eyes that I can't get 15# dropper loops through. YMMV.
    Yes, I understand that, but what if someone can't cast 15lb test ?

The Brinn rig is designed so that a caster can use a heavy leader, if he needs to, and still present a bait in a finesse fashion. For 15lb test, the loop knot is better, and it is a very effective rig to fish. I responded partly because I was grateful the man mentioned Earl in the article.....and partly because a few could benefit from my lucky experience with the man.

What works for me may not for you. Some benefit from using different hooks than others, even on the same rig. Weird, this fishing stuff. But anyone interested in learning Earls' rig should try it. When you get good at tying it, you will keep it for life.