Pier and Surf Forum banner

what kind of bait

Question: 
1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  tylerhb 
#1 ·
what kind of bait do you guys think i should use for flounder. mostly off piers and surf and inshore. strip bait? bucktails? live minnows? so much to choose from :confused:

#4 ·
Depends on availability and whether you want to catch numbers or size.If it's numbers,then I'd choose mud minnows on #4 Kahle hooks.For size I'd go with finger mullet and bluefish bellies on 1/0 Kahles.I like to fish one rod with bait and jig the pilings with my own handtied double bucktail rigs on another.

#6 ·
Bucktails with cut fish is good for Flounder;but I think just a plain Jighead with just a Minnow twiched along the bottom can be just as deadly as anything(and cheaper).If you want to spend a little put a Bass Assaisan(sp),FinSfish,Or more expensive Gulp baits on a Jighead is good too.

#11 ·
I used to use the squid and minnow combo on a carolina rig, but I've found that the mud minnows will only get you the smaller ones. I now try to use a little heavier weight on a carolina rig and cut bait. Gonna try some finger mullet this year and see how that works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.