Thread: what kind of bait

what kind of bait

what kind of bait do you guys think i should use for flounder. mostly off piers and surf and inshore. strip bait? bucktails? live minnows? so much to choose from

mud minnows and live shrimp

belly strips on a feather dressed hook,1oz inline sinker about 12-18" above,drift around the piles and under the pier,just plain deadly!!
    the dude abides........ " fish and visitors stink after three days";Ben Franklin.....

Depends on availability and whether you want to catch numbers or size.If it's numbers,then I'd choose mud minnows on #4 Kahle hooks.For size I'd go with finger mullet and bluefish bellies on 1/0 Kahles.I like to fish one rod with bait and jig the pilings with my own handtied double bucktail rigs on another.

how do you go about making you own bucktails? sounds like something id like to try

Bucktails with cut fish is good for Flounder;but I think just a plain Jighead with just a Minnow twiched along the bottom can be just as deadly as anything(and cheaper).If you want to spend a little put a Bass Assaisan(sp),FinSfish,Or more expensive Gulp baits on a Jighead is good too.

Quote Originally Posted by fishin757 View Post
    how do you go about making you own bucktails? sounds like something id like to try
    http://www.pierandsurf.com/fishing-f...of-pictures%29

I'll try to get pictures back up when I'm not so swamped.

sweet thanks guys

All the baits that you mentioned will work. I like to use a mud minnow on a Carolina rig or a Berkley gulp on a jig head fron the surf.

I use a squid and minnow combo. we call it the "Ole Ham and Egg" trick up here.

I used to use the squid and minnow combo on a carolina rig, but I've found that the mud minnows will only get you the smaller ones. I now try to use a little heavier weight on a carolina rig and cut bait. Gonna try some finger mullet this year and see how that works.

The Ham and Egg trick is very nice...last year i was using red jig heads with gulp and jigging them. got most of my keepers that way with a strip of threadfin, squid or bluefish.