Pier and Surf Forum banner

Making Fishing Leaders

21K views 57 replies 13 participants last post by  surfnsam 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I need your help. I'm tired of store brought crap fishing leaders that tangle after 2 casts. I'm ready to start making my own leaders. Can someone help me make a grocery list of what I'll need?

Type of Fishing:

Freshwater/Saltwater bottom fishing.

I'd like to look at fishing above the bottom as well, but I think that's another thread right?

Thanks in advance for any help you can lend.

TW

#2 ·
Wasup TW haven't seen you in a while! But holla at kmw, when i talked to him at spsp he had some sweet fishfinder rigs that he had made up, in fact he gave me one that im gonna mimic myself. Even though they are ff rigs you can use the same principles for bottom high/low rigs!

tight lines...

#8 ·
I use them all.. I'm going to try and get some pictures up tonight.. Nothing professional but they work for me..

#9 · (Edited)
Ok here is my version of the FF Rig... I use this type of rig when Im fishing with spinning reels (with Braid) and want to use big bait... As you can see this design gives you the option to swap out hook leaders.. Swivels, Rig Material and Coastal snaps are all 80lb test...

then I make hook leaders different types and style hooks to suit any type of fishing i'm doing..

#33 ·
Ok here is my version of the FF Rig... I use this type of rig when Im fishing with spinning reels (with Braid) and want to use big bait... As you can see this design gives you the option to swap out hook leaders.. Swivels, Rig Material and Coastal snaps are all 80lb test...

That clip where your hook leader attaches to the rig...

What is the name of that? It looks like a bobby pin. At first glace I think "can't the swivel slide off somehow?"

But am I right in assuming the pressure on the fish keeps the swivel down at the bottom of that clip?

#10 ·
This is a rig (Single Dropper ) I used on Saturday.. As u can see by the hooked it's been worked pretty good...

#11 ·
This rig (Double Dropper) is made from Sufix Rig material which is very soft so i tie knots and not crimp... it's rated at 50lb test so I only use it when I'm using 4oz of less.

#13 ·
When Distance (130yds plus) is Key then the Pulley Clip Down rig is the Ticket. I use the Gemini Splashdown sinker because it's the best sinker I've found for the OTG cast. Most other bait clips will come undone mid flight.

Gemini Sinker

Here is the Pulley Rig minus the hook leader..

Total Rig

Locked up and ready to go!

#16 · (Edited)
KMW's sinker looks like this thing, the Solar Probe Plus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_Probe_Plus

I am just a small potato among all the scientists and engineers working hard to launch it near the sun (8.5 solar radii) in the year of 2015. We sure can use your help if you can cast that far, but it would not be made of lead since it will melt long before it can get close to the orbit near the sun (1400-1700 Celsius).

#22 ·
for simple t&B rigs jans netcraft has the arms and ive been using AMF red 7 strand nylon coated wire in 40#. some crimps and beads and a duolock or breakaway fast clip for the sinker. i got tired of tangled mono rigs i tied and they always seemed to twist up and tangle when casting their ok on my kayak but when casting in the surf i like the wire arms because they are free spinning. i use 20# fluro for leader to hook

#23 ·
Do you think wire spooks the fish?

KMW inspired me! I've ordered some 60# flouro, barrels, cast locks, sleeves and a crimping tool also a 20# flouro for the hooks and some Owner circles. I should have them by Thursday. I'll be posting my rigs for critiques. How's that sound? I did see some spreaders...hope I can do without them to start.

#26 ·
These are really good for areas where you have lots of rocks. When you have a fish on it pulls the sinker off the ground so it won't get snagged..

#36 ·
Royal Mail...nice.

Thanks for the info guys. Why would you use this over a standard snap swivel? In your FF rig, why would you not use this genie clip for the sinker as well?

I see the dinnerence in form, but the function appears to be the same as the ole snap swivel.

#40 ·
Good question..

The snap swivels are more $$$$, and I get more use with the Genie Clips. I tie the clips to the end of my shockleader (snap swivels dont fit through the guides), as well as make rigs with them.. They make hot swapping your tackle very easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.