Pier and Surf Forum banner

good spots in columbia sc

Question: 
18K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  SmoothLures 
#1 ·
Hey guys I'm visitin my brother in south carolina and I'm from baltimore. Do u know any good spots in columbia or nearby? Some mentioned lake murray? Is that any good.thanks

#2 ·
u can fish for sub tropical trout (the water in that stretch comes from the dam and is usually less than 65 degrees) in the lower saluda river behind river banks zoo. Its a stock and fish fishery with practically no spawning trout. some of those trout are rather large though.
along the same area there are also the typical mess of what southerners call bream- bluegill, redear, redbreast sunfish

#4 ·
Re

Fish for Stripers around the damn at Murray. This has a little bit of information...http://www.striperchaser.com/second.htm

If you are not having the luck you think you should with Stripers. I recommend an umbrella rig on a down-rigger somewhere around 50 feet deep.

I'm no expert. But have caught my limit during the summer months quickly with an umbrella rig.

#6 ·
from shore you are looking at blugills and shell crackers and catfish. too hot for crappie close to the bank . i live walking distance from lake murray if i want to fish asn hour or two . i just go to the public boat ramp and fish around the dock with a cup of wigglers and catch a good dozen of bream to fry up. i am also on the upper end where there are a lot less houses too..but i here by the dam at either of the 2 parks is good in the rip rap by the bank..

#7 ·
from shore you are looking at bluegills and shell crackers and catfish. too hot for crappie to be close up to the bank . i live walking distance from lake murray if i want to fish an hour or two i just go to the public boat ramp and fish around the dock with a cup of wigglers and catch a good dozen of bream to fry up. i am also on the upper end where there are a lot less houses too..but i hear by the dam at either of the 2 parks is good in the rip rap by the bank . my brother used to take his boys out there and they did o.k...good luck:fishing:

#8 ·
I'm gonna give it a shot tomorrow. The park guy was sayin u can only fish certain areas. Any chance u could show me where and how to fish there? I tried a boat ramp that the water ran to the dam and caught nothing. Used shad darts glo jigs and a mini mite w not even a nibble

#10 ·
if you go in the middle of the day you probably will not do a whole lot. i would go early or late afternoon. it is hotter than 3 hells right now. so fishing will be kinda slow and try puttin your bait on the bottom. use a pink or bright red jig head.it usually works for me.. any way my work week stars tomorrow and between 12 hour shifts and my farm i won't be able to do nothing till maybe sunday afternoon..:fishing:

#12 ·
I grew up on Wateree, never done a lot on Murray but a lot of the same applies. Red worms or night crawlers under a cork will catch all the bream and white perch you can stand. Cast net the perch and shad.

Best bet this time of the year is start fishing about 6, catch bait til 7 PM, then fish for catfish til you get tired of it. The eater sized fish will move in shallow at night (2-4') to feed. The big boys will usually stay out in 10-25' water. If you can find deep drop offs within casting distance then put out a shad or white perch chunk and you'll likely find some big blues willing to bite.

Crappie are scattered and you might pick up a few but you'll need a boat. They're generally slow though.

Striper are around in decent numbers but it takes a long time to learn how to catch 'em.

#14 ·
if you are able to make it down to west columbia sc I would go to the river walk by Gervais street and walk up river as far as you can under Jarvis Klapman and walk on the bank if possible or if you are brave go rock hopping and try to get to the deep holes up there you can catch the you know what out of the stripers. We were up there two weekends ago and went through 8 dozen herring in one day. Most of the fish were 24-36 inch but we caught some that were 25-30lbs and got broke off by some monsters but we were in a boat but the holes we were fishing you could get there by walking. There is a bait shop on Meeting Street and right besid that there is a place that rents canoes, tubes and kayaks. Im not real sure where you put in at but I think they pick you up at the river walk that I was talking about before. You will need a bait bucket with one of those bubble boxes to keep the herring alive but if you can get up there you can sure have some fun and when you get hot you can just take a dip because the water feels great because it is pretty cold because it is coming out of Lake Murray. The river is considered the Saluda where we are fishing at but right at the river walk it is the Congaree because the Broad and the Saluda meet right at Gervais street to make the Congaree. You could probally walk down behind the zoo and have some luck but with the water being so low it is pretty shallow back there.

#16 ·
We were on r way to lake wateree but took the wrong way or something because everything was private. We found out the entrance was on the complete other side of the lake. So we said forget this and went to saluda shoals park. Fished by the boat ramp and caught nothin. Moved to the walkway and caught one bream on a trout magnet. That was it for the day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.