Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: boats close to pier

ive seen it happen somebody throws at a boat. the law comes out and says who did it everyone stands up togather and they have nothing. im not gona throw at a boat but i have dang near pulled rods out of a rod holder on a boat when there planers crrossed my anchor rod pin riggin. its just common sense not to get that close. i know some folks that can cast like theres no tom. and if your so close someone can cast to your boat thats probally to close. and on top of that if i had a boat i for dang sure wouldnt go fish near a pier i can fish on a pier alot cheaper id go were i cant fish off the pier.

What about when, us kayakers, happen to drift close to a pier and it takes a fewminutes for us to clear the area? I've had lead chunked at me before, all the while trying to vacate their zone. If it, the lead, hits our boats,,,whom do we call?

my question is you may make a mistake and drift near the pier but thats a once in a while thing ive kayak fished and put in right up from the pier and never got to close to the pier on accedent. however i have got bait out of jesses bucket before lol

Quote Originally Posted by pogeymoe View Post
    Trust me on this(though I am not advising any attempts to cause injury or damage) you guys could really sling lead at any passing boat you wish to without provable copability................. DONT LET ANYONE HEAR YOU MUTTER ONE WORD OF COMPLAINT AGAINST THE BOAT BEFORE SLINGING THE LEAD OR WHATEVER. THAT COULD COME BACK TO HAUNT YOU. STICK TOGETHER IF AN INCIDENT OCCURS. DENY IT OR APOLOGIZE FOR YOUR LINE SNAPPING WHILE CASTING!
    That is seriously irresponsible. Yes, i think boaters should give the pier a wide berth. But slinging lead @ someone whether it's to hit them with it, hit their boat or other property, or to 'clothesline' a surfer is ridiculous. I've heard folks on the pier talk about that sorta thing when the surfers get close, but thank god I've never seen anyone attempt something so stupid. It's not about whether or not you will get convicted of a crime, it's about the fact that an 8oz lead can be a lethal object. 2 wrongs don't make a right. Just because someone does something rude doesn't make it ok to do something dispicable. If someone cuts you off on the highway, do you follow them home & blow their car up?

I have a real hard time imagining anyone that would cast 8 oz of lead @ somebody really has any more respect for others than the boaters that come too close to the pier.

Quote Originally Posted by wannabeangler View Post
    What about when, us kayakers, happen to drift close to a pier and it takes a fewminutes for us to clear the area? I've had lead chunked at me before, all the while trying to vacate their zone. If it, the lead, hits our boats,,,whom do we call?
    First off you shouldn't put yourself in that position... If you are thrown at,it's like any other asault crime,call the police...

Like was said before,you shouldn't be within 100yds of any pier period.. It is unlawful to throw anything at anyone,or shoot bottle rockets at them.. Clothslining someone if they go into the bow of your line can be passed off as you thinking it was a fish,but that's kinda borderline..

Ain't no lawyer but do look at things with a little common sense, so should those that come within 100yds of any pier with fishing lines all around,as well as those that throw 8oz at em...

Had a guy hang a line with a king on it from the pier watched as the boater had the nerve to gaff the king , unhook the fish, and then wave at us after throwing the rig back in for us to reel up . Turned out he was in a king tournament but since we could see him and the name on the boat we were able to disqualify him later. but that was truly sorry!!

Just wanted to add to this post that this last tuesday i was fishing the T and had just set my anchor and was proceeding to catch bait when a jon boat starts coming directly toward the pier not around it. I was yelling for the guy to go out and around and nothing. The gentlemen actually went under my anchor line to attest how close he was when i noticed it was a very old gentlemen so i screamed are you ok??? the guy said he needed to go to shore and said sorry. So there is always that 1 out of 100 that actally probably had a emergency.

I agree with all of these staements. Its never ok to intentionally try to hurt anyone or cause damage. Not long ago there was a case here inwhich a young girl was hit by a car. A crosswalk was put at the very spot. There had been petitions by area home owners for a cross walk. Sadly, it often takes a tragedy before appropriate laws are passed.

In this case boaters assume all risk and responsibility. Police officers can come out on the pier all they want to but people always have and will cast from piers. Piers are stationary and all "normal" activities are understandable.

Common courtesy is the best solution but obviously boaters and at times surfers seem to be unable to afford any and therefore PUT THEMSELVES AT RISK.

A "pier anglers law" which could relieve pier anglers from any damages to boats or surfers should be put in place.Boaters know that people cast from piers. A state wide distance should be in place. Boaters must stay 500 yds from piers. In my opinion that would take care of even the best casters being able to intentionally or unintentionally hit a boat.

If any boater has problems AND ANNOUNCES IT TO PEOPLE ON THE PIER, I'm fairly certain people on the pier wouldnt have any problems. We know the ones we are talking about. The ones who cut lines and run over king rigs.

If all of you will get as many signatures from pier anglers and operators as you can, I am willing to get it in the hands of those who could possibly have such a law considered.

Pier fisherman should be able to fish from a pier as that pier allows them to fish without interferance or harrasment. Boaters should have regulations that will keep them safe as well. Some boaters may not have a clue that they are too close and yet have a king rig right under their boat. As the number of these incidents increases, the need for a law is more evident.

Intent

Quote Originally Posted by surf rat View Post
    Sounds like jailhouse lawyer talk to me. One could also say the gun went off as he was trying to take it from me. What you said has to be the dumbest advice anyone has given on this board. You my man are the king of all dumba$$es.
    I don't know if an earlier post about ripping the sail on boat was about me or not but, I did exatly that on Kure Pier many years ago. O n the pier that day was the Deputy Sheriff for Kure Beach and he said " if you can reach him with your cast, go for it as he will not have a leg to stand on in court."

I made the cast, hit the sail up high, jerked and ripped the hell out of it. The Deputy said the law in Carolina is if a boat, etc. comes within casting distance of the FRONT of a pier the boater,etc., is in violation of the law and assumes all risk associated with his actions.

PS: boater later came on pier with 2 deputies and after talk with Fred (Deputy Sheriff), he was arrested. I was never summoned to court and Fred told me the next year boater was fined.

I was told point blank by the staff at Frisco pier that 5oz to the back was the best way to get the surfers to move. I never did it, but my wife hooked a big'un on a Gotcha plug, best pullage of the week!

As for the boats, wiping out their trolling spread is the safest, most efficient method of demonstrating your feelings.
    Last edited by brandonmc; 06-01-2010 at 11:01 AM.

All piers are usually posted to keep away a minimum distance...as some others said there are those that make a mistake in coming in too close or have an emergency situation. I doubt I'd take anyone's advice on trying to sling lead at a boater or surfer... I doubt that person will stand with you in court should things get out of hand and you end hitting someone with 5oz of lead in just the right spot and you end up catching a manslaughter charge.

Quote Originally Posted by SPECKS View Post
    All piers are usually posted to keep away a minimum distance...as some others said there are those that make a mistake in coming in too close or have an emergency situation. I doubt I'd take anyone's advice on trying to sling lead at a boater or surfer... I doubt that person will stand with you in court should things get out of hand and you end hitting someone with 5oz of lead in just the right spot and you end up catching a manslaughter charge.
    EXACTLY....

Just so this post doesn't stir the pot anymore than it already has it's locked......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12