Question: Sting Ray Recipe?

Thread: Sting Ray Recipe?

Sting Ray Recipe?

So, I've caught a few sizeable cownose rays in the past weeks, and I hate to throw them back, but I wouldn't know what to do with them. I've been researching how to fillet them, and I'm not too worried about that. My question is...does anyone have a good recipe on how to cook them? Do they even taste good, or should I just keep throwing them back? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The only edible part is the wings. From what I heard anyway... I havent been that hungry yet! I have heard that the imitation crab meat they sell in the supermarket is made from the wings... stringy meat.

I have a few recipes for Skate that may work for Rays. RuddeDogg has posted a couple for Ray.

BBQ Sting Ray
    2 tbl vegetable oil
    4 large tomatoes peeled and chopped
    1 large onion chopped
    3 garlic cloves minced
    1/4 cup molasses or dark brown sugar
    1 tbl worcestershire sauce
    1 tbl minced or grated ginger
    1 tsp tabasco sauce or dried red pepper flakes
    1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
    2 lbs skinless stingray wings

Heat the oil in a large skillet, add tomatoes, onion, and garlic and cook over medium heat, stirring occassionally until the onions are translucent about 5 mins. Add the molasses, worcestershire sauce, ginger, tabasco sauce and lower the heat to low and cook uncovered until the vegetables are thoroughly softened and the sauce is thick about 30-40 mins. Removed from heat and stir in lemon juice and let cool.

Just before serving, cut away membrane from the stingray wings. Preheat the grill or broiler. Brush the wings on booth sides with the cooled sauce and let sit while grill heats up. Lightly oil the top of the grill and place wings on grill. Cook until lightly browned and somewhat firm 3-4 mins. Brush the top with more sauce and turn over and cook another 4 mins. Serve.

Sting Ray Casserole
    1 lb sting ray wings cut into 1/2 inch pieces
    1 cup sliced mushrooms
    3 celert stalks diced
    1/2 cup chopped green pepper
    1/2 cracker crumbs
    6 tblsp butter
    2 cups milk
    4 tblsp grated cheddar cheese
    4 tblsp flour
    1/8 tsp basil
    1/2 tso salt
    1/4 black pepper
    1 pinch nutmeg

Melt 2 tblsp of the butter in a saucepan. add mushrooms, celery, onion, green pepper and basil. Saute for 10 mins or until celery is tender.While mushrooms are sauteing, make a sauce by melting 4 tblsp of butter in the top of a double boiler. Stirring constantly, gradually add the flour. Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Slowly pour in milk. Cook and stir for about 6 mins until sauce is thick and smooth. Add stingray to mushroom mixture and cook for 5 mins. Combine with white sauce and stir well. Pour mixture into casserole dish. Cover with cracker crumbs and top with grated cheese. bake at 350 for 20 mins or until golden brown.

Stingray with Roasted Pepper
    1 red pepepr
    4 medium sized tomatoes
    1 tblsp olive oil
    slat and pepper
    4 stingray portions
    1/2 oz butter
    1 tsp balsamic vinegar
    1 tbslp fresh or dried basil

Grill red pepper until charred all over. Wrap in a plastic bag until cool. De-seed and slice into strips. Scaled, peel and cie tomatoes. Peel and finely chop the onion. Heat oilive oil in frying pan. Saute onion until soft. Add in tomatoes, red pepper strips, balsamic vinegar, basil, salt and pepper. cook red pepper sauce for 15mins. Meanwhile, pre heat grill. Dot stringray with butter. Season with salt and pepper. Grill until stingray is cooked through, turning over once. Serve with warm pepper sauce.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

My son talked us into trying it. It does have a texture similar to scallops, but the taste is really mild. I like it better than Pompano and now my daughter says it is her favorite fish.

I don't know how cow ray would be. I know the one Bill ate was a regular stingray, not a cow ray.

Quote Originally Posted by emanuel View Post
    I don't know how cow ray would be. I know the one Bill ate was a regular stingray, not a cow ray.
    The cow rays probably taste like steak, right?

I have a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe sharpened up on one end. I punch it through the wings with a dead blow mallet, stacking the nuggets inside the pipe. Take a dowell rod and push them little dudes out, cut the skin off.
    Now you got some fake scallops that look like,, well, fake scallops..

I fry them in a plow disc WOK with butter and cajun seasoning. When they're about half done, I douse them with soy sauce and finish them up in the steam of the soy.
    Its one of my Cajuneze specialties.

Pretty simple, and deeelisheeus.

a cow nose is not an immitation of that crab meat you get in the bags at the stores its a poor mans scallop never had most likely never will imo but people have eatin it and said it was good

Stingray recipe

Becareful when you cut the wings. Don't let the liver juices seep into the flesh on the wings, if not the stingray flesh would smell...

I would normally rub some curry powder or chilly powder, butter and salt on the stingray meat and grill them. Sometimes I do fry them as well.

Cow nose ain't worth the effort. It's tough and generally crappy. Go with the skates.

Bill