Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Soft Plastics for Flounder

Best Soft Plastics for Flounder

Wanna add a few soft plastics dedicated to flounder... To be used in the surf and inside the inlets and creeks occasionally.

I know I'm gonna get everyone saying Gulp, I have that covered with 2 colors of swimming mullet and shrimp.

What regular soft plastics would you use? 3" twister tails? 3" paddle tail grubs like used for trout? DOA shrimp? What colors?

I will be tipping them with mud minnows, small finger mullet, or strips of some fish or squid.
    Last edited by SmoothLures; 02-18-2010 at 04:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothLures View Post
    Wanna add a few soft plastics dedicated to flounder... To be used in the surf and inside the inlets and creeks occasionally.

I know I'm gonna get everyone saying Gulp, I have that covered with 2 colors of swimming mullet and shrimp.

What regular soft plastics would you use? 3" twister tails? 3" paddle tail grubs like used for trout? DOA shrimp? What colors?

I will be tipping them with mud minnows, small finger mullet, or strips of some fish or squid.
    I catch them on curly tail grubs. Color depends on water color. White, Pumpkinseed, Motor oil.

Gulps,fin-s in the green or chartruese colors,twistertails motor oil to christmas tree color,as well as some of the swimbaits...

Pretty hard to beat a white 3 inch curly tail......I'm not big on gulp at all.....don't think they are worth the $$$$.........

5" Extreme Jerkbait by Fishbites in Chart/Glitter and White , Gulp , Fin"S" , BA's and 3 and 4 inch Swimbaits .

Bass Assassin...

makes a couple of plastic lures that i found work great as the waves swash at the OBX. they are called saltwater shad and shad assassin. a guy i meet several years ago in VA turned me onto them. we found them in the clearance bin at BPS. look for the color called albino.

if you have gulp in your bag then there is no need to have anything else. Some amazing flounder fishermen I know did extensive testing between gulp and regular soft plastics over the course of several days and gulp absolutely destroyed the other baits. For instance 4" white gulp mullet compared to 4" white twister and gulp out fished the twisters over and over again. If you are going to tip soft plastics with live bait why not just fish live bait?

gulp

Quote Originally Posted by fishforever View Post
    if you have gulp in your bag then there is no need to have anything else. Some amazing flounder fishermen I know did extensive testing between gulp and regular soft plastics over the course of several days and gulp absolutely destroyed the other baits. For instance 4" white gulp mullet compared to 4" white twister and gulp out fished the twisters over and over again. If you are going to tip soft plastics with live bait why not just fish live bait?
    Amazing how some folks have great experiences with gulp but others(my self and about fifty guys I can name) can't catch a thing with the stuff

Quote Originally Posted by robc22 View Post
    Amazing how some folks have great experiences with gulp but others(my self and about fifty guys I can name) can't catch a thing with the stuff
    Come see me in May or June .. I'll make you a believer Seriously !

On another note I have fished Gulp from North Carolina to New Jersey and its been a killer bait . You'd be surprised at what will eat Gulp . There are times IMO that Gulp isnt the right choice or perhaps it doesnt make a difference in abnormally cold water or fast currents where the "scent" could be washed out or not strong enough to make a real difference .
    Flounder , Weakfish , Stripers , Tog , Seabass , Blueline Tiles , Spot , Croakers , Bluefish and Grouper just to name a few frequently fall prey to Gulp for me
    In the past 4 years I have landed near or over 1000 Flounder over 18"

Let me know when your ready to believe

Quote Originally Posted by Normark View Post

On another note I have fished Gulp from North Carolina to New Jersey and its been a killer bait . You'd be surprised at what will eat Gulp . There are times IMO that Gulp isnt the right choice or perhaps it doesnt make a difference in abnormally cold water or fast currents where the "scent" could be washed out or not strong enough to make a real difference .
    Flounder , Weakfish , Stripers , Tog , Seabass , Blueline Tiles , Spot , Croakers , Bluefish and Grouper just to name a few frequently fall prey to Gulp for me
    In the past 4 years I have landed near or over 1000 Flounder over 18"

Add Cobes,drum,and triggers for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Al Kai View Post
    I catch them on curly tail grubs. Color depends on water color. White, Pumpkinseed, Motor oil.
    Yep. Up here in Yankee land pink, chartreuse and red/white work grate. I also use the small storm shads. They work as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumdum View Post
    Add Cobes,drum,and triggers for me...
    What no Specks

What no Specks
    Whoops,forgot them,and seabass... They'll probably catch anything that swims,caught a bunch of different species on gulps though..

Ron-Z's man those became my go to plastic for everything a couple years ago. Probably the most confident lure in my surf bag

Spot , Croakers
    Which type, size, color, scent, etc.... of Gulp works for spot and croaker?

Thanks

Can I take you up on this also?!?!

BTW I have told this story before but my first drum (a nice slot) was caught on a guld shrimp! Everyone else was jigging pink worms for trout but my red was the only one caught and on Gulp!, Made me a believer!

Quote Originally Posted by spydermn View Post
    Can I take you up on this also?!?!
    Certainly

Quote Originally Posted by Thrifty Angler View Post
    Which type, size, color, scent, etc.... of Gulp works for spot and croaker?

Thanks
    Croakers and Spot will hit the Gulp Mullets 3 and 4 inch .. any color but the best Gulp for Croakers is the Gulp Shrimp in the 2 or 3 inch size . Last year I was cutting them into 1" chunks and ripping lips off them hardheads

If you twitch it right, all you need is bass assasin IMO.

gulp

I'm not trying to stir the pot here but gulp baits work for crap up this way....they are expensive and couldn't catch poop!!!
    Maybe they are great baits in the southern part of the country but they don't seem to work in New England water's.......

I have friends and family that fish in the U.K. and they are not to impressed with gulp baits......

http://www.sea-fishing.org/ftopict-22563.html

http://www.sea-fishing.org/ftopict-21986.html

http://www.sea-fishing.org/ftopict-21559.html

I'm not trying to stir the pot here but gulp baits work for crap up this way....they are expensive and couldn't catch poop!!!
    Maybe they are great baits in the southern part of the country but they don't seem to work in New England water's.......

I have friends and family that fish in the U.K. and they are not to impressed with gulp baits......

http://www.sea-fishing.org/ftopict-22563.html

http://www.sea-fishing.org/ftopict-21986.html

http://www.sea-fishing.org/ftopict-21559.html
    Rob it sounds to me like they want an alternative to bait to use deadsticking . It also sounds like they dont often use lures . What kind of fish are they after ?
    You could be right that Gulp doesnt work "Well" up North but I doubt it .. A Flounder is a Flounder and it will eat GULP .

Rob it sounds to me like they want an alternative to bait to use deadsticking . It also sounds like they dont often use lures . What kind of fish are they after ?
    You could be right that Gulp doesnt work "Well" up North but I doubt it .. A Flounder is a Flounder and it will eat GULP .
    Cod, dabs,european bass,flounder,plaice,mackerel,etc..... gulp does not seem to get the job done......About one month from now there is the remants of an old new england shore fishery that kicks off......beach fishing for atlantic cod.....I will try gulp baits....water is very cold....32 degrees F to 40 degrees F.......guys, lets see if gulp can get the job done......any input is welcome!!!

Cod, dabs,european bass,flounder,plaice,mackerel,etc..... gulp does not seem to get the job done......About one month from now there is the remants of an old new england shore fishery that kicks off......beach fishing for atlantic cod.....I will try gulp baits....water is very cold....32 degrees F to 40 degrees F.......guys, lets see if gulp can get the job done......any input is welcome!!!
    Think of Gulp like a Lure and NOT Bait .

coldwater fishing the gulp bait.....

Think of Gulp like a Lure and NOT Bait .
    The bait will fishing on a droppa rig in a 4-5 knot current......This rig is longcasted.....The rig will bounce along the bottom......35-50 feet of water....cape cod canal.......any input welcome....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast