Pier and Surf Forum banner

rigging berkley gulp shrimp

31K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  RoryGoggin 
#1 ·
Fishing in the surf with berkley gulp shrimp for pups, trout and flounder, how do you hook it, with what size and type hook, and what type of rig do you use? Thanks

#3 ·
THe few time I have done it I hare rigged it with the eye of the jig head facing up (towards the sky) with the legs of the shrimp facing down. Really I have not seen what this looks like in the water, and I dont know if it says that way when I am pulling it in, but it looks good to me...and you know that fishing lures don't catch fish, they catch fisherman!;)

#13 ·
gulp! shrimp

when I use them I don't do a count, I "feel" the bite, then set my hook, that way they don't swallow or get gut hooked. the strikes on arties is much harder I think than on live. Have you guys seen the new gulp! shrimp? they have appendages just like real shrimp legs and all.

#14 ·
when I use them I don't do a count, I "feel" the bite, then set my hook, that way they don't swallow or get gut hooked. the strikes on arties is much harder I think than on live. Have you guys seen the new gulp! shrimp? they have appendages just like real shrimp legs and all.
I agree about NOT counting and have never had issues ;)
Are you talking about the Ghost Shrimp ? I tried the Fluorescent Orange Shrimp and it didnt work .. I caught nothing on them but the smaller fish (Snapper Blues) and Crabs did a number on them .. I'm gonna stick to what I know works but I have that part of me that keeps buying and trying .. LMAO !

#17 ·
Agree with how they are rigged and I too never wait for a "count" when fishing lures. Flounder do ambush their food as much as they nibble and the theory on waiting or using a "count" is generally applied to fishing with strip baits because it takes them a while to eat the whole thing.

If I miss the first hook up with either a strip bait or a lure I stop cranking, push the rod back at the fish and give it some line because Flounder will follow a bait even after missing it the first time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.