Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: rigging berkley gulp shrimp

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Hwy 12 South
    Posts
    89

    rigging berkley gulp shrimp

    Fishing in the surf with berkley gulp shrimp for pups, trout and flounder, how do you hook it, with what size and type hook, and what type of rig do you use? Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Raleigh
    Posts
    1,367
    try a jig head

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    H-ville, NC
    Posts
    560
    THe few time I have done it I hare rigged it with the eye of the jig head facing up (towards the sky) with the legs of the shrimp facing down. Really I have not seen what this looks like in the water, and I dont know if it says that way when I am pulling it in, but it looks good to me...and you know that fishing lures don't catch fish, they catch fisherman!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    2,442
    Shrimp ... With rattles and without

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    248
    Bite the tail off and rig it backwards. Thats what some of the Redfish tourney guys do, and I can verify it works.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lakeland, Fl.
    Posts
    1,163
    I usually just rig them on a jig head like in this flounder photo I took.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    4,652
    Nice pic. That's how I do it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Cape May,NJ Via Hilo HI
    Posts
    17,618
    Quote Originally Posted by Normark View Post
    Shrimp ... With rattles and without
    Yep

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Norfolk Va.
    Posts
    5,568
    Goona try it this year

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Norfolk Va.
    Posts
    5,568
    Going to try it this year

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    South Carolina/ Annapolis, Maryland now
    Posts
    1,619
    with flounder
    do u set the hook immediately
    or give the fish a bit of time to swallow gulp?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    4,652
    A 5 count is usually plenty with a jig. If you miss one then count higher. Of course you don't know when a trout or red will eat it so be ready. I like the smaller 3" shrimp in natural or new penny.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Southport, NC
    Posts
    41

    gulp! shrimp

    when I use them I don't do a count, I "feel" the bite, then set my hook, that way they don't swallow or get gut hooked. the strikes on arties is much harder I think than on live. Have you guys seen the new gulp! shrimp? they have appendages just like real shrimp legs and all.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    2,442
    Quote Originally Posted by troutfishr View Post
    when I use them I don't do a count, I "feel" the bite, then set my hook, that way they don't swallow or get gut hooked. the strikes on arties is much harder I think than on live. Have you guys seen the new gulp! shrimp? they have appendages just like real shrimp legs and all.
    I agree about NOT counting and have never had issues
    Are you talking about the Ghost Shrimp ? I tried the Fluorescent Orange Shrimp and it didnt work .. I caught nothing on them but the smaller fish (Snapper Blues) and Crabs did a number on them .. I'm gonna stick to what I know works but I have that part of me that keeps buying and trying .. LMAO !

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1
    I just hook 'em onto a bottom rig like you would cut bait.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Frisco, NC
    Posts
    8,904
    Quote Originally Posted by hengstthomas View Post
    I agree about NOT counting and have never had issues
    Are you talking about the Ghost Shrimp ? I tried the Fluorescent Orange Shrimp and it didnt work .. I caught nothing on them but the smaller fish (Snapper Blues) and Crabs did a number on them .. I'm gonna stick to what I know works but I have that part of me that keeps buying and trying .. LMAO !
    New penny and pearl white work great on the flounder down here in NC.. I don't like to count down BECAUSE of all the short ones caught here,they suck the thing down past the gills.. Might as well not have a reg on them as to kill a quarter of the small ones to make sure the hook is in them,jmho.. Yes,I have had the hook pop out of plenty of legals right at my feet and it sucks..

    Quote Originally Posted by Phillipcurl View Post
    I just hook 'em onto a bottom rig like you would cut bait.
    Caught plenty of fish that way,works great,especially with triggerfish and seabass.... Just went after some triggers yesterday using cutbait,caught a few,but sure wish I had brought some gulps along... This would be the one case that imo,they work better than cut bait....

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    chesapeake,fentress area
    Posts
    1,984
    Agree with how they are rigged and I too never wait for a "count" when fishing lures. Flounder do ambush their food as much as they nibble and the theory on waiting or using a "count" is generally applied to fishing with strip baits because it takes them a while to eat the whole thing.

    If I miss the first hook up with either a strip bait or a lure I stop cranking, push the rod back at the fish and give it some line because Flounder will follow a bait even after missing it the first time.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    1,555
    Quote Originally Posted by jay b View Post
    Agree with how they are rigged and I too never wait for a "count" when fishing lures. Flounder do ambush their food as much as they nibble and the theory on waiting or using a "count" is generally applied to fishing with strip baits because it takes them a while to eat the whole thing.

    If I miss the first hook up with either a strip bait or a lure I stop cranking, push the rod back at the fish and give it some line because Flounder will follow a bait even after missing it the first time.
    Yep, when using lead-heads, I'd MUCH rather miss the hookup than deep hook them and release 'em with even a 1/8 oz jighead in 'em. I also crimp down the barbs.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •