Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cheap alternatives versus a got-cha plug

cheap alternatives versus a got-cha plug

any ideas of lures that catch as well as the got-cha plug?
    that will catch Spanish and blues off piers or other elevated spots

bucktail jigs
    jighead and grub

any other ideas?

As versitile and as many different species as a gotcha catches,I'll stick with the real deal...

Kill Devil Hills - On North Carolina's Outer Banks
    Nothing, absolutely nothing, catches blues and spanish like a Got-Cha. Why mess with perfection?

Clark Spoons work great down here in Florida as well. As a matter of fact many anglers prefer a Clark Spoon over a Gotcha Plug especially from an elevated pier, jetty, bridge.

A good technique is to tie a small egg or barrel sinker above a swivel and have the spoon trailing on about three feet of leader. The weight gets the spoon down in the water column a bit while retrieving from the higher elevation.

However, a Gotcha Plug is still a go to lure down here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by OBX_Nomad View Post
    Nothing, absolutely nothing, catches blues and spanish like a Got-Cha. Why mess with perfection?
    rising cost. they used to be 2 dollars, now its about 3 at cheaper places, and 4 dollars at many tackle shops

Kill Devil Hills - On North Carolina's Outer Banks
    Let me know if you find something cheaper that works better.

You've used tree rigs haven't you? Slow them down a bit and you'll usually find a few small blues.

Quote Originally Posted by bluefish1928 View Post
    rising cost. they used to be 2 dollars, now its about 3 at cheaper places, and 4 dollars at many tackle shops
    Have you tried Walmart ? They used to and still may carry them in 3 packs for around 6 bucks .

Three packs in Southport are about $9.00 but it's still a deal considering the amount of fish it can yield.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothLures View Post
    You've used tree rigs haven't you? Slow them down a bit and you'll usually find a few small blues.
    yeh in fact i did remember one instance when i just left my rod there to get a can of soda and came back with 2 blues hooked without jigging it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by SnookMook View Post
    Clark Spoons work great down here in Florida as well. As a matter of fact many anglers prefer a Clark Spoon over a Gotcha Plug especially from an elevated pier, jetty, bridge.

A good technique is to tie a small egg or barrel sinker above a swivel and have the spoon trailing on about three feet of leader. The weight gets the spoon down in the water column a bit while retrieving from the higher elevation.

However, a Gotcha Plug is still a go to lure down here as well.

i happen to have a clarkspoon lying around(came with a tree rig), thanks for the idea. was never sure how to cast that light thing

Bluefish--Trust me I've caught many a Spanish mackerel, bluefish, and bonito with a Clark Spoon in that fashion. It definitely works and is highly effective. It's a very popular technique down here in Florida on both coasts.

Quote Originally Posted by SnookMook View Post
    Bluefish--Trust me I've caught many a Spanish mackerel, bluefish, and bonito with a Clark Spoon in that fashion. It definitely works and is highly effective. It's a very popular technique down here in Florida on both coasts.
    We've done the same here in NC for yrs,although it seems a higher percentage of fish are caught with gotchas... If fish are feeding on siversides,a clarkspoon is the stuff... Kinda hard to get rid of a gotcha...

find gotchas all day here under three bucks. up til last year when one shop closed near MHC their price was 2.15 for a long time. dunno how much cheaper ya can get.

the remakes like the tsunami gotcha imitations dont work good in the water.

always have a half dozen of the small, and a handful of MAG gotchas in the boat bag...never know..

Clark spoons work really well on the Troll they also work casting.A small 1 oz trolling weight usually makes them even more effective.As soon as the water reaches 72 degrees we start to catch the Spanish.We caught about 2300 Spanish on a Clark spoon this season. Alot of them were caught less than 40 yards away from the Sandbridge and Virginia Beach piers.A cheep alternative would be to pour your own 1 oz trolling weights and smash them in a vise afterwards put a snap ring on one end with a treble hook,spray paint them gold,silver,red,white or chartreuse.

I like Gotchas but I've been catching Spanish and blues with Clarks for as long as I can remember. I always trolled with them but I'm gonna try that trolling lead and casting idea a couple of you mentioned.

Gotchas

I make my own Gotchas from old BIC pen barrels.

Some wire, a couple of treble hooks and a homemade lead head. A swivel on the front end and a dab of paint. C2

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie2 View Post
    I make my own Gotchas from old BIC pen barrels.

Some wire, a couple of treble hooks and a homemade lead head. A swivel on the front end and a dab of paint. C2
    I remeber reading your post about making the lead head before. how do you attach teh lead heads to the body?

any one ever try a straw rig?

Yep we make them out of drinking straws,coffee stir sitcks,heat shrink tubing and other fly making materials.

i hate gotcha plugs..catch plenty fish..but dont like the jiggin part..i use stingsilvers...and catch as many as anyone around me

Quote Originally Posted by chris storrs View Post
    i hate gotcha plugs..catch plenty fish..but dont like the jiggin part..i use stingsilvers...and catch as many as anyone around me
    hater.

Homemade Lead Heads for Gotchas

Quote Originally Posted by Tacpayne View Post
    I remeber reading your post about making the lead head before. how do you attach teh lead heads to the body?
    I make the heads using a two stage hole(s) in a block of wood. They are close to being a friction fit but I do use a dab of two part epoxy to hold it inside the tube. C2

If you already have some Clarkspoons try out the Clarkspoon caster.

Quote Originally Posted by brandonmc View Post
    If you already have some Clarkspoons try out the Clarkspoon caster.
    Is this what you are talking about

http://www.seastriker.com/clarkspoon...larkcaster.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast