Thread: lead sputnick

lead sputnick

i have been searching the web for lead sputnik molds, sometimes called satellite molds, these are the molds that wire placed into the molds (not claw sinker molds) after the mold is poured the wires are bent to meet the slots in the mold, the sinkers are used in surf fishing when the current is strong. i would appreciate any information. thank you nubietwo

I am going to move your topic to another section to hopefully get you some good responses.

I have a variety of molds all bought from sources in Europe. Right now with the Dollar in the crapper (and sinking further) you will pay a pretty penny for anything bought from over there. Even when the exchange was more favorable I have spent as much as $80 for a mold between actual cost and shipping.

Many of the high quality wired molds are scarce, they were based on the tournament casting molds manufactured by DCA who went belly-up without warning, putting the casting community into a tizzy world-wide searching for sanctioned molds. Some of the quick to fill the void knock-offs leave a lot to be desired but a good secondary maker is Namix; even they can be hard to find though and scarcity means higher prices. The Namix "moulds" on eBayUK right now are 29.95 Buy it Now ($48.86 @ 9/18/09, 10:05:08AM, 1 GBP = 1.63149 USD) . . .

The UK eBay site is a good search engine to discover what is out there but buyer beware, most Euro sellers don't like shipping to the USA and their rates show this. Get a firm quote for the total price before committing to buy. Make sure the European Union Value Added Tax (EU-VAT) which can be between 15% and 17.5% is dropped out (making the above Namix actually $41.53).

Put up a "WTB" post in the Marketplace, that might work too .

Sputnik Molds

Here ya' go! but....

As the good Sgt says; 'hold on to your pocketbook'.

With the exchange rate such as it is, it would probably be cost prohibitive.

https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/Moulds.html

I still have a 5 oz DCA(no longer made) on loan, 'somewhere'. Have to check. C2

what is the problem with someone making these molds stateside, instead of having to go to the foreign mkt. i did buy a wired mold from england, was the worst mold i ever bought. nothing lined up when the wires were inserted,instead of the wires going in at an angle these went straight in and did not line up with the slots. i emailed the co, but will not respond now, i guess i got the shaft. i would really like to buy a DCA

Using a modified trolling sinker mold is an option, even though I have the UK molds I also pour a monster sputtie from a Palmer 601 (IIRC) 6 & 8 oz trolling sinker mold.

DCA 150 gram on right, Palmer trolling sinker on the left.

If I was going to get a trolling sinker mold to drill I would get the Do-It mold model INT-345B, a 3-4-5 oz mold that casts a nice aerodynamic tapered sinker.

I bought mine at K-Mart in the 4 oz size sinkers for less then 2$ not the mold just the sinkeers premade

jerry

Sarg- do you drill the mold or each sinker for wires

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt_Slough View Post
    Using a modified trolling sinker mold is an option, even though I have the UK molds I also pour a monster sputtie from a Palmer 601 (IIRC) 6 & 8 oz trolling sinker mold.

DCA 150 gram on right, Palmer trolling sinker on the left.

If I was going to get a trolling sinker mold to drill I would get the Do-It mold model INT-345B, a 3-4-5 oz mold that casts a nice aerodynamic tapered sinker.
    sarg do you drill each one and then insert your wires, also where is a good place to purchase the stainless wire. newbie