Pier and Surf Forum banner

Gar in saltwater??

34K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  JAM 
#1 ·
Anybody ever caught a Gar in saltwater, My friend swears up and down that he caught a 3 ft gar at Factory Point the other day, I dont know.
What do yall think.

#6 ·
They're a hoot when you're bored while cobia fishing. We used to take a short piece of rope about 4 inches long, and undo the braid to make it a bunch of strings at the end with about a 1/2" of still braided rope tape up after running a hook through it. More or less a poor man's skirt on a hook. Usually if the hook didn't get them, which is most of the time, the rope would get tangled in their teeth and they're basically hooked at that point by the rope. Like Tom said, they will peel drag and taildance like crazy for you. Got a couple in the 3.5-4 foot range and it was a BLAST on light tackle.

#9 ·
alligator gar in saltwater...

i have seen them in saltwater around little creek back in the marina dockage, and at lynnhaven pier, usually following a big storm with lower salinity levels in the water. but have researched that they are in fact very tolerant of salty waters, and are not uncommon in the lower bay area especially when you get closer to a freshwater source. same with blue catfish and sturgeon, generally accepted as freshwater fish but may travel quite a way into saltier waters.

#11 ·
HABITAT AND BIOLOGY: Longnose gars inhabit rivers and reservoirs, large streams, and swamps. They seem to prefer flowing water, and during the spring spawning season, we have observed large numbers of gravid adults congregated in tailwater areas below every lock and dam in the Mobile basin. This species also ventures into brackish and even salt water, where it is infrequently landed by anglers.

ctd from nat geo on alligator gar

Gars inhabit lakes, bayous, and bays and are able to tolerate brackish and even salt water. But these toothy giants prefer large, slow-moving rivers, particularly those with wide floodplains, where shallow waters provide hatchlings with some protection from predators

i can assure you i have seen these fish personally in salt water

#13 ·
Ask4fish, I am not debating that long nose gars might be out there somewhere. . . but the fish that we see on Poquoson flats (i.e. just north of Back river), bluefish rock, 9 foot shoals, etc when folks are chumming for cobia is hound fish as shown in the first picture above. As basstardo said it is common practice to "target" them when cobia fishing.

And yes the do staaank and their flesh looks green when you foul hook them. But they are fun to do C&R with light tackle. I have yet to have the nerve to try and eat one.

One of the other really distinctive features is their really big eyes. They definitely feed by sight.

Another way that is really cool to catch them is to use a surface plug. They will scare the beegeebees out of you when they bust that plug and haul butt across the water.

Another hint if you are targeting them. use a 12 to 18 inch steel leader.

Tom

#14 ·
when someone says gar, i assume the freshwater variety, not a needlefish/houndfish which are extremely common, if they asked that it was unheard of that makes the question of a freshwater variety even greater, anyone catching a houndfish would not find that uncommon...

#25 ·
Sight Casted him with my trout rod. He was all over it, got him to the Yak and released him after I got a few shots.. Came home and looked him up on the web.. And there he was Spotted Gar.. He was harassing my Specks in a Trout hole behind Avon.. Bout 10 pounds or so..Never seen one before.. I guess ya can catch anything out there ya never know.. JAM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.