Pier and Surf Forum banner

Does Berkley Gulp Worms really work?

Question: 
3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Stickbom! 
#1 ·
Good day to all. I'm from a very different part of the world but was wondering if any surf anglers here has positive experience with GULP artificial worms by Berkley. Just need to know if the species you usually target with worms actually eat artificial ones. In my neck of the woods anglers usually buy worms instead of digging for them but at times they might be sold out or we just can't get enough to last the night. I'm thinking of using GULP worms alone or with a small section of real worm for "flavor". Any inputs would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

#2 ·
Welcome to the board. I can't say much about the Gulp worms from my own experience, but have read that they work fine. I usually use Fishbites artificial worms and they work just fine - no need to add real worms to the hook at all. Fish I'm usually targeting here will bite them and you may end up with a suprise fish every once in a while. Be sure to post some fish pics from Singapore.

#3 ·
At least as well as the real things

My days of digging, netting, etc. etc. etc. for bait are over thanks to Berkley. I have used their worms, crabs, shrimp, and swimming shad to catch pin fish, (of course :D), blue fish, Spanish mackerel, puppy drum, croaker, Virginia mullet, grouper and flounder, (BIGGGGGGGGGGGG flounder). I would have caught some other species but they weren't around!!!!! All in all, I have to say that its the way to go if you want to catch fish. There wasn't a cast when I didn't get at least a small bite, by the way.

Try it - you'll like it.

:fishing::D

#5 ·
The little 3 in Berkley Powerbait floating trout worms are the real deal

The little 3 in Berkley Powerbait floating trout worms are the real deal when fishing for rainbows in the mountains and I have read on a Pacific coast forum they are also killer in the surf and they say will out fish fresh shrimp on a dual bottom rig. Haven't tried that yet, but I will definitely attest that they work like a champ on fresh water rainbows.:D:fishing:

#8 ·
yeah i'd say worms are probably one of the less popular types of gulp though, i would recommend shrimp, swimming mullet and jerk shad, all can be fished on jig heads. swimming mullet, and jerk shad colors should be chartreuse or pearl white, shrimp new penny or rootbeer if the water is stained and muddy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.