Thread: Does Berkley Gulp Worms really work?

Does Berkley Gulp Worms really work?

Good day to all. I'm from a very different part of the world but was wondering if any surf anglers here has positive experience with GULP artificial worms by Berkley. Just need to know if the species you usually target with worms actually eat artificial ones. In my neck of the woods anglers usually buy worms instead of digging for them but at times they might be sold out or we just can't get enough to last the night. I'm thinking of using GULP worms alone or with a small section of real worm for "flavor". Any inputs would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

Welcome to the board. I can't say much about the Gulp worms from my own experience, but have read that they work fine. I usually use Fishbites artificial worms and they work just fine - no need to add real worms to the hook at all. Fish I'm usually targeting here will bite them and you may end up with a suprise fish every once in a while. Be sure to post some fish pics from Singapore.

At least as well as the real things

My days of digging, netting, etc. etc. etc. for bait are over thanks to Berkley. I have used their worms, crabs, shrimp, and swimming shad to catch pin fish, (of course ), blue fish, Spanish mackerel, puppy drum, croaker, Virginia mullet, grouper and flounder, (BIGGGGGGGGGGGG flounder). I would have caught some other species but they weren't around!!!!! All in all, I have to say that its the way to go if you want to catch fish. There wasn't a cast when I didn't get at least a small bite, by the way.

Try it - you'll like it.

Iv'e used the Gulp worms freshwater fishing and they work great. I use other gulp bait for salt with equal results. Gulp works better when you keep it moving, slow reeling or jigging, as opposed to letting it sit and soak.

The little 3 in Berkley Powerbait floating trout worms are the real deal

The little 3 in Berkley Powerbait floating trout worms are the real deal when fishing for rainbows in the mountains and I have read on a Pacific coast forum they are also killer in the surf and they say will out fish fresh shrimp on a dual bottom rig. Haven't tried that yet, but I will definitely attest that they work like a champ on fresh water rainbows.

Welcome to the family and yes they do. I have used the sand worms and blod worms. They work great for weakfish.

I've been outfished with Gulp against finger mullet for flounder before. They work very well.

yeah i'd say worms are probably one of the less popular types of gulp though, i would recommend shrimp, swimming mullet and jerk shad, all can be fished on jig heads. swimming mullet, and jerk shad colors should be chartreuse or pearl white, shrimp new penny or rootbeer if the water is stained and muddy.

Big thanks goes to everyone who responded! I've give GULP a shot tonight and post photos if I catch something! I'll try and get hold of some Fishbites Worms too!

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyfish View Post
    yeah i'd say worms are probably one of the less popular types of gulp though, i would recommend shrimp, swimming mullet and jerk shad, all can be fished on jig heads. swimming mullet, and jerk shad colors should be chartreuse or pearl white, shrimp new penny or rootbeer if the water is stained and muddy.
    What size jig heads do you usually use for these guys?

I use a 1oz buck tail with the mullet.

Cool, thanks. Ill give them a try!

No problem. You could use the buck tail or a 1/4 to 3/8 oz jig head. That's popular up here as well.

I couldn't find saltwater grade gulp worms at the local tackle shops here and ended up using a freshwater "fry" model. Didn't seem to work. Will try and get some saltwater worms and try it out next weekend!