Pier and Surf Forum banner

Berkley Gulp Saltwater Sand Flea

13K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Tracker16 
#1 ·
While shopping for other Gulp stuff...came across the Ripline Mudd Sand Crab Flea in 1/2" size. Bought 1 bag. Around 30 fleas to the bag. They had other sizes and color variations of fleas.
Anyone have any positive experiences with this particular size/variety bait? How should they be hooked? Do they get stolen easily? If so.....should I glue them to the hook?

Thanks

#2 ·
Hey Thrifty, I'm sure some others have more experience with them than I do, but I used them on a couple of trips last year. I got the small ones (1/2") and fished them on two-hook bottom rigs over in South Carolina. I only caught a couple of small whiting on them. After what some folks said here, I put them into the same Alive juice as the peelers and the shrimp before we went to the coast this year, but I was able to get live fleas and didn't use the Gulp ones at all.

#6 ·
Used them last year, and they sucked for me and I caught nothing.

However, I was using a standard two hook bottom rig but the more I think about it, they probably would work best with a small single hook Carolina rig, thrown right in the surf and soup line at the edge of the beach and let them tumble around like live ones do when they waves break and drag them out. Since they stay on the hook one hell of a lot better than live ones, I would say use a small light spinning rig and spike it and leave it alone and see what happens and turn your attention towards your other rigs

Someone give this a shot and give a holler back as I wont make it back out to the surf until Sept.

#7 ·
I'm definitely hoping to get more bang for the buck with the flea bait.
At least better mileage than the gulp swimming minnow. :eek:
And I thought it was more economical to use artificial baits. Guess that applies to the hard baits...provided a strong knot is used.

Thanks guys. I'm gonna try them..possibly this week....if the 7 straight days of forecasted rain proves to be a fluke. :eek:

#8 ·
And I thought it was more economical to use artificial baits. Guess that applies to the hard baits...provided a strong knot is used.

Thanks guys. I'm gonna try them..possibly this week....if the 7 straight days of forecasted rain proves to be a fluke. :eek:
It is more economical to use arties (Gulp) This will come with time and experience ;)
The rain forecast is for isolated and scattered showers and if its any indication to how the weatherman has predicted any weather this year he will be wrong AGAIN :)
Catch em up !

#9 ·
Finally got to use them at Rudee Inlet, VB on August 7.

Something kept hitting my line....cast after cast. Not sure what was attracted to them. I'm thinking I didn't get any hook ups because of the way I had put the fleas on the hook.
In from the underside of the mouth...out thru the back of the neck...then down thru the lower back.....and out thru the underside. Sorta with the curve of the hook. With just the barb showing. They were sorta tough. I had trouble getting the hook thru them. Only tried one flea per hook. Size 2 basic Eagle Claw hooks.

Not enough barb exposed perhaps. Needed to thread it up the shank more. Needed to put on more than 1. :confused:

Any suggestions on how I should hook them the next time around?

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.