Thread: Eating skates

Eating skates

i saw some boys cleaning a truck hood the other day they said that they were going to eat it never heard of anyone eating 1 i was just wondering i have only been saltwater fishing a few years but i have caught my share of skates and rays if they are good ill start keeping them

stingrays taste like scallops, almost a bit better. ive tried it before at a friends but im not sure about skates

Skates are good to eat, but a bit of a pain to clean.

When cooked, the meat is firm, white, and not very fishy tasting.

Awesome when marinated and grilled or chunked and fried.

I've eaten them for the past 20 years or so despite the puzzled looks, lol.

We've kept them before. The meat was good. Even though they look big, you need a pretty good sized one to get any meat off of it. They are more difficult to clean than most fish. I do not keep them on a regular basis, but it's been a while. Might have to do it here soon

Cut the wings off close to the body. Lay wings on a piece of wood. Place round cookie cutter on wing. Place 2x4 ontop of cookie cutter and hit it with a mallot. Instant "Poor Man's Scallops". Marinate "scallops" and grill. Also good smoked.

SDo a search in the recipe board. I have posted some great recipes for skate and sting ray.