Pier and Surf Forum banner

Easily Catch Sand Fleas

Tags
sand fleas
46K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  HStew 
#1 ·
This should help you find those sand fleas quickly and easily.

At low tide walk down the beach... You should be about 10-20 feet down from where the waves/water ends. As the water recedes you should see round rough patches of sand that smooth out when you approach. Ran at them and scoop a bunch of sand with your hands. You should have a bunch of sand fleas with your sand...

They seem to like sand without much debris such as shell fragments...

Also the little "v's" are antenna like things, sticking out about 1/4" out of the sand. You may see them and then see them disappear when you get close, but just dig, they are just inches below the surface. Need good eyes...

How to Make a Sand Flea Home - Keep them alive longer

This has been posted here, but I figured it would fit nicely in this thread as well: http://amelia-island-fishing.com/fishing/articles/sand flea holder.cfm

#3 ·
cool, I see some black bugs on the pylons where I go fishin'. I dont know if thats sandfleas..prob. not. ya gotta pic. of them things? I dont think ive ever seen them here on tybee..I used to live in myrtle beach as a kid and I remember seein them just dont recall exactly what they look like..thanks.

#5 · (Edited)
Those black bugs you speak of sound like rock crabs or such. Any of those crabs are sheepshead candy down here in Florida.

Mangrove snapper love them as well. They're very similar to the small mangrove crabs and the snapper don't discriminate.

Bighits--Thanks for the link on that sand flea bucket/container. That's looks really easy to make.

#7 ·
My thoughts have always fish were the fleas are so I just cruz the beach with the schools of fleas and reach down at my feet and grab one when I need it I also think sandfleas are prob THE best bait u can get I have caught everything from sea mullet to cobia on fleas plus the price is always right

#11 ·
No one uses a sand flea rake?

I almost bought one of those rakes. Had it in my hand and just as I got to the register I had second thoughts. I don't recall the price, but I figured I could buy sand fleas for the next five years and come out ahead on the $$. Yea, I know the rake will last forever. The other problem I had with it is it is so bulky. Would be a hassle to carry both in the car and on the beach.

I bought a little $10.00 stainless steel colander. Portable, works, low maintenance. Yea, I have to bend over to get the fleas, but such is life.

#13 ·
I use a rake that I picked up at a yardsale at Carolina Beach for $5. I like it personally.

#17 ·
The "sand flea rake" is a wise investment. Timewise you can devote more time than fishing.If you are by any chance carrying around anything like gout,a torn ACL,or anyone of the "ritas" diseases, just to name a few, believe me the "flea rake "will make the end of the day much more pleasant!!!! You know the old saying," I wish I'd thought of this before now!" Well!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.