Thread: Rigging Gulp Shrimp on a jig head

Columbia, SC Most of the time, Ft Fisher NC any chance I get

Rigging Gulp Shrimp on a jig head

Question:

Do shrimp swim backwards with their backs down towards the bottom or do they swim forward with their backs up toward the surface? For that matter do they swim straight up with their tails towards the bottom and their heads towards the surface?

The reason I ask is what is the best way to rig a Gulp Shrimp on a Lead Jig Head Rig in order to simulate their natural swimming motion? Is it with the hook coming out of the back or out of the stomach?

I believe shrimp generally swim upright ( horizontally with their backs up) and backwards. If so, the hook would be up from the stomach and through the back, with the jighead by the tail...however, looking on Cablea's, DOA and most other soft lures are rigged with the jighead at the shrimp head.
    Last edited by emjay; 04-01-2009 at 04:14 PM. Reason: more info

Backwards:

wdbrand.

Columbia, SC Most of the time, Ft Fisher NC any chance I get
    Quote Originally Posted by wdbrand View Post
    wdbrand.
    I think I am going to pose this same question out on the general forum...probably where it should be anyway

Quote Originally Posted by SpinMeister99 View Post
    Question:

Do shrimp swim backwards with their backs down towards the bottom or do they swim forward with their backs up toward the surface? For that matter do they swim straight up with their tails towards the bottom and their heads towards the surface?

The reason I ask is what is the best way to rig a Gulp Shrimp on a Lead Jig Head Rig in order to simulate their natural swimming motion? Is it with the hook coming out of the back or out of the stomach?
    I've always rigged the Gulp shrimp with the hook coming out of the back. The tail is so flat and wide, I don't know how well it would work if you start the hook into the tail. I have never tried. Good question, especially if you're trying to imitate the natural swimming motion. I've also seen people use jigheads with live shrimp and start through the head, but with live shrim p I usually thread it up the tail and out the back.

I hope this helps.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    “To be is to do - Socrates / To do is to be - Sartre / Do Be Do Be Do - Sinatra” -- Kurt Vonnegut

Ok, i'm gonna throw something out here that will more than likely make me look real dumb, but oh well. I have very little saltwater experience. Just a little surf fishing & bottom fishing trips on the head boats. Anyway if you're talking about fishing gulp shrimp on a jighead, or even a live shrimp or bait shrimp for that matter..... and you want it to look natural..... I'm wondering, has anyone tried, instead of a jighead, just using a hook & crimping on a hook weight (crimps directly on the shank of the hook) like you would use for a swimbait if you were bass fishing? Just wondering if that might not be a good idea or make it look more natural than with a jighead? Of course i guess you would have to rig the hook up like a "weedless" bass rig. Maybe that would mean less hookups, i dunno. Just wondering if anyone does that or has tried it?

Try this: A pictorial how-to on rigging soft plastics. They use the DOA shrimp, but the concept is the same.

http://www.mbcboats.com/fusionbb/sho....php?tid/30498

Evan

wow those are great picures of how to rig DOA's or any soft bait for that matter.
    Last edited by Tadpole1; 04-04-2009 at 12:44 AM.

kingfisherman23 thanks for sharing that information.......

rigging shrimp

Thanks Kingfisherman23, that is exactly what this world wide web thing is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by merleobx View Post
    Thanks Kingfisherman23, that is exactly what this world wide web thing is all about.
    Ditto to this and what Gregg and Tadpole said, Ryan. Great Link! Thanks much!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    “To be is to do - Socrates / To do is to be - Sartre / Do Be Do Be Do - Sinatra” -- Kurt Vonnegut