Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bike tow behind fishing cart

bike tow behind fishing cart

I am trying to get ideas on what type of cart to make to pull behind a bicycle. I will be moving to the keys and around there a bike might be easier to get around, so I can just pull a cart or something behind the bike that can hold a cooler and rods and what not. Any pics or ideas would be cool.

only other thing, is i just found a pieve to hook a cart to then to the bike seat, but forgot to mention I will also be having a baby carrier on the back of the bike to take my 2 year old with me.

Never made a cart. I know the Angler Fish-N-Mate has a "bike caddy" you can buy for pulling their carts behind a bicycle. Don't know how good it is. I've never used one.

Here's a link:

http://www.rodrack.com/product.php?productid=16155

We have a fisherman here in north Fla that says they work great.I think he has the rollez wheels also.I'd buy one but the price seems a little high.

They look well built even though the price in my opinion is high but might be worth it if your going to use it everyday and not to mention safety as something rigged may not hold up.

I have the bike mount for my fishing mate. I can take it 20 or more miles round trip down the colonial parkway. With no problems. I use a road bike, so a mountain bike or a cruiser should work fine.

thanks for the help, yea I found that, but I will have a child seat on the back of the bike, so i wouldn't be able to connect it to the seat like the pics have. keep the ideas coming though. also if I do that, I need to find a cheap cart someone has laying around.

I have the Fish-n-Mate bike caddy and it works great. Much easier than trying to strap rods to the bike and carry everything else in a back pack. just throw it all in the cart and go.

John

To safeguard your precious cargo this might work with the carts mentioned above.
    Another position for a baby seat that'll free up the rear.:
    http://www.ibike.org/education/kanga_3.jpg

Or for your gear this might work. Looks like it won't obstruct the child seat. Looks to hook up on the frame.
    http://www.coconutcoasters.com/image...d-stroller.jpg

Or... for your gear you could use this set-up if ya plan to do a little shocking....oops meant sharking ..... I just had to throw this one in:
    http://www.instablogsimages.com/imag...bike__5784.jpg
    Last edited by Thrifty Angler; 03-26-2009 at 04:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    I have the bike mount for my fishing mate. I can take it 20 or more miles round trip down the colonial parkway. With no problems. I use a road bike, so a mountain bike or a cruiser should work fine.
    That's good to know

Hey Digger didn't I have to make ya a new bike attachment bar for your cart because the old one was so thin it broke? Yea I know I am getting old and my memory is shot but I know I have had to make 1 or 2 due to them bars being so thin they break easy.
    "Very few that demand respect will ever have the ability to earn it and even fewer that have earned respect will ever demand it"

"Yes, everyone should be perfect but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."

Words of wisdom: "When you're up to your eyes in poop, it ain't no time to open your mouth
    "

I made one a few years back from a child carrage that attached to a hitch behind the bike seat. Sorry but never took Pics. But just find a used carrage and a little modifying and you should be Golden. Found mine at a Yard Sale for 20.00$ back then. I have seen were guys have just built an exstended rack on the back using milk crates and PVC and some web straps to secure everything in place.
    You should enjoy your time in the Keys a great place.

Anglers Fishn mate... cheap on ebay, can buy hitch kit for bike also
    [IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

That road looks familiar. On the way to False Cape Channelbass?
    I can see we're going to have to get the Sr. cart

Be carefull what you take. That trip I put a bunch of stuff in the cart and it bogged down as soon I hit the sand. bare essentials to keep the weight down and you can go far as you want in the sand...

P.S....riding a mountain bike hunched over like that makes you look like a tubby bastard...

Quote Originally Posted by channelbass View Post
    P.S....riding a mountain bike hunched over like that makes you look like a tubby bastard...
    Drop the seat and add a set of ape hangers and that will slim the ol figure back out.

CB, keep it up and you won't look chubby for long.

Actually, I have been curious about trying a lower tech way to get on the beach. Did you find any problems with the mountain bike in sand? (Chain, gears, etc.)

Tom

I/we usually drop off the heavy useless stuff(food, tents, cooking equipment, sleeping gear, extra clothes) at the campsite and just take tackle over to the beach when down at Barbor Hill.

Only problem is in loose sand between dunes and tideline. Once on hard pack you can cruise pretty well.

With a little inginuity, you could make one with some PVC (sch 80) and a couple of tires from Harbor Freight.

I've got a great platform for one (pull behind 2 seat kids stroller) that I would let go cheap

Check out Clyde's aka Hat80 ride

He use to pull his cart with a bike and has since moved to battery power.

At the PLO clean up a few years back that cart took a beating.

http://pierandsurf.com/photopost/sho...8/ppuser/11705
    Orest

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Hey Digger didn't I have to make ya a new bike attachment bar for your cart because the old one was so thin it broke? Yea I know I am getting old and my memory is shot but I know I have had to make 1 or 2 due to them bars being so thin they break easy.

No you did not make it. They sent me a upgraded one for free, this sucker has a solid piece in the center. There will be no problem with the slower types with the basic one. 15-20 MPH for 10-12 miles and a loaded cart is allot of strain. Keeping the wheels lubed is a PITA with what I was doing. Got to love the blue stuff.

Last edited by dirtyhandslopez; 04-02-2009 at 11:49 AM. Reason: idjitness

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast