Pier and Surf Forum banner

Rockfish in the potomac, DC

7K views 40 replies 16 participants last post by  Sturgeon 
#1 ·
When do the rocks start moving up the Potomac river? Can't wait!

#6 ·
uglycroaker,
You didn't ask me but I fish it every year. I use herring AND lures. I usually drop a line with herring and throw lures or even troll. I like renting the rowboats from Fletchers Boathouse. There is a lady there that rents boats before they open and you usually don't have to pay until you get back at the end of the day. At first I'll catch the fresh herring on shad darts or even a worm and a bobber. The catch isn't consistant but one herring usually lasts for a good amount of time. I also use chicken BREAST for catfish I've hooked into some big ones out there it's inevitable. With the chicken breast it stays on the hook better than livers and works even better. If you can leave it in the sun for half a day just to get some good stink on it that'll be great for the big catfsh. This year I'll be adding my fly rod to the mix so it should be interesting. Also, if you want a good day-hike and some fishing mied in hit the MD side of Great Falls and walk down river there's a few good spots after the first mile or so. Just hit the deep holes on the edge of the eddy's and he edge of the riffles about 1mi-3.3mi down stream. You wont be the only one there so you can ask for advice from the large/small mouth anglers there too.

#8 ·
U-Croaker

I'm using fresh cut herring when they are running...

Kanvery..

I've havent rented a boat at fletchers yet...gonna have to give that a try this year though..I usually like just fishin at night..

fellas give me a pm when your goin...we can meet up and share techniques...

#9 ·
The movement of Rocks up the Patomac

When I lived in the area back in the early 90's the Rocks started showing up in mid February and got increasingly more abundant as the Herring began the spawn and migration out towards the Bay in March-April. I also found that as the Rocks became more active the Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass begin to get more aggressive as the spawn gets near. Hope this helps. Tight Lines :fishing:

#11 ·
uglycroaker,
It all depends on how often you can get out and go fishing. As soon as the shad start to clear out a bit I'm immediatly going to start targeting the stripers. This is probably going to be around early mid to late march but there's no way to tell for sure. The more you're out the better feel you'll get for what's moving. My goal is always try to catch the first striper upriver from the key bridge....it'll never happen but dreaming is nice!

#12 ·
you know Mid March The striper are alread up and into the Susquehanna river the should have long been being seeing and catching them in North Va Southerern Md . Dont Know but I think mid to late Feb and Super early march would be your best bet. Soon as you hear bout herring and shad...... Its time!

#14 ·
Just an FYI.......I've talked about this b4 on here,but I'll say it again.
If you park on the VA side of C-bridge,(or DC side probably also)don't leave ANYTHING visible in your car.Day or night.My buddies car (on VA side during the day)had the window shattered and stuff stolen,and none of it was even worth much,I've also talked to the Fuzz that come down there and this is a problem as others have had the same happen to them.
I would also watch your back at night,maybe have a buddy with you or something.None of this stops me from going down there though of course.
I look forward to meeting some of you down there,shad time etc.is soooon.
BTW...I've caught some big stripers down there using herring heads and a small weight casting upstream and letting it come down the river with the flow as it goes towards the bottom,you get snagged this way sometimes often,but the pay-off can be great.Good luck to all.:beer:

#17 ·
gents,

i fish chain bridge usually during the day, weekdays (sneak a day off work when its not crowded, weekends are crowded) i love chainbridge..just dropping a fresh herring a letting it go with the tide...just sometimes the snags are crazy and you need to bring lots of hooks...havent fished chain bridge at night..due to fishin alone...

i fish fletchers at night but thats hit or miss for me...still searching for spots...I'm definitely going to rent a boat this year..

i also fished Haines Point sometimes..I've been lucky on some occasions...

however almost all of my fish have either been caught at fletchers/chain bridge...

u-croaker - an asian brother like myself..nice! however I fish with anyone thats has the same passion as myself...cant wait for just a glimpse of warm weather ;)

#24 ·
no, not that far up. im down towards so. md. i know 2 diff. commercial boats, and they havent caught any yet BUT, 2 days ago they caught about 60lbs of herring near 1 of my local duck hunting creeks. wont be long. as sooon as we get a good 3-4 day/nights about 45 degrees they will start to trickle in. the ice is gone finally so week and half tops. good luck.

#25 ·
Hello all,
Just moved to the area (3 weeks ago)and have been searching and searching for information about stipers on the Potomac and i seem to have found the right place. You guys seem to have the information that i have been looking for and am excited that they do come this far north and are on their way.
Question, does one need a lic. to fish for stripers? I was told that you do need one if you are fishing the DC waters of the Potomac? Where exactly is that "line". Can someone enlighten me?

#27 ·
Thanks Release, i guess ill just get the lic. as i am new to the area and dont know where exactly the line is and that way ill be safe. I will definatley pick up a rule book..
Anyone know the rules and ability of catching Herring on the river with say a sabiki rig and livelining them as bait for stripers, is that legal and or possible?

#28 ·
Welcome aboard there Capn! ;) You'll do well with a VA license but will need a DC license for the waters above the WW (Woodrow Wilson Bridge) on the MD side. Once you get up around the Airport, you're definitely in DC waters. If you go to Fletchers, you're in DC as well. As for the sabiki, I've never used it for them but some folks do well with it, not sure about DC waters, again. You can definitely use a dip net and fill a bucket with herring if you walk the wall along Hains Point in DC.

Get out there and catch some feeeesh!! :D

#29 ·
I have had a couple of close calls under the Woodrow Wilson Bridge in the past. First one was myself and 2 other fisherman were minding our own business when this group of THUGS walked onto the pier we fishing on and decided we looked like pushovers and pulled a gun on us. Well to there surprise myself (I was a law enforcement officer in the past) and another gent (previous special forces survival instructor) disarmed the gunman, gave him a memory scar which he still has today I am sure, and watched the other three idiots trip over each other in the attempt to get the hell out of there in fear for their lives. The gun was thrown in the river, and the owner of the gun limped off the pier in the arms of Alexandria's Finest.

The second time a drunk Latino threw his ten speed at me and ended up getting thrown off the pier into the river. You just never know what kind of jerks you will run into around that area. Some very dangerous places around the river front in that area, be on guard, bring a friend, and carry if allowed too. That is my advice. Good Luck.:eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.