Pier and Surf Forum banner

Florida Surf Fishing Licence Requirments

Question: 
14K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Cerberus 
#1 ·
Does Florida have a Surf Fishing Licence requirment?

If so how much is it for non-residents?

#3 ·
The following are exemptions from the Florida Marine Fisheries Web Site.

Fishhttp://www.marinefisheries.org/license.htm#rec

Recreational Saltwater Fishing License

You do not need a license if you are:

Any child under 16 years of age.
Any resident who is a member of the United States Armed Forces and not stationed in this state, when home on leave for 30 days or less, upon submission of orders.
Any person fishing who has been accepted as a client for developmental disabilities services by the Children and Family Services, provided the department furnishes proof thereof.
Any resident fishing in saltwater from land or from a structure fixed to the land.
Any person fishing from a for-hire vessel (guide, charter, party boat) that has a valid vessel license.
Any person fishing from a vessel, the operator of which has a valid vessel license issued in the name of the operator of the vessel.
Any person who holds a valid saltwater products license (SPL).
Any person fishing for recreational purposes from a pier that has been issued a valid pier saltwater fishing license.
Any resident fishing for a saltwater species in fresh water from land or from a structure fixed to land.
Any resident fishing for mullet in fresh water who has a valid Florida freshwater fishing license.
Any resident 65 years of age or older who has in her or his possession proof of age and residency or a no-cost Florida Resident Senior Citizen license. A no-cost license may be obtained from any tax collector's office upon proof of age and residency and must be in the possession of the resident during hunting, freshwater fishing, and saltwater fishing activities.
Any employee of the commission who takes freshwater fish, saltwater fish, or game as part of employment with the commission, or any other person authorized by commission permit to take freshwater fish, saltwater fish, or game for scientific or educational purposes.

#4 ·
Short answer. You (residents or non-residents) do not need any license to fish in salt water as long as you are land bound (beach, surf) or fishing from land bound structure (pier or bridges). You may need a snook stamp if you plan on keeping any snook but I am not 100% on that.

#6 ·
Cerebus,

I have 2 questions.

If I am fishing on a pier that has a pier license (and therefore I didn't get a license), I still need a snook stamp right?

Do you know if Sebastian Inlet State Park has a pier license? I've never seen the game wardens there check for license although they do check the fish.

#7 ·
Uhhhh.....good question. I don;t know Sebastian Pier but I do know a bit about the regs.

Florida law says if you don't need a license you don't need a stamp. But if you are a non resident you need a license but you are covered by the pier license. Unless you want to keep a snook, then you need a stamp. But if you don't have an individual license you can't buy a stamp...Catch 22

I think the pier at Sebastian is just built on the jetty and is not a "managed" pier and probably doesn't have a license, so you are not covered by anything.

The best thing would be to pony up for a license and support the State and the fishery. Even better would be to not keep any snook. You don't need a stamp to catch, only to keep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.