Thread: South Carolina Surf Fishing License?

South Carolina Surf Fishing License?

Hello All!! Our vacation will take us to Mytle Beach this year. Do I need a South Carolina fishing license if I surf fish? I will do most of my fishing at Springmaid pier!! Thanks for the help!!

You do not need a license to fish from shore in South Carolina. The only time you need one is if you are fishing from a privite boat or if you are castnetting for bait other then shrimp.

also, the pass you but to fish on the pier includes a "temporary" lisence.

License for bait?

I have never spoken to anyone who says that you need a license to throw a cast net for bait.... I have only read that theory here. The SC fishing regulations are vague enough that I still do not know if I should get a license to throw the net for mullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
    I have never spoken to anyone who says that you need a license to throw a cast net for bait.... I have only read that theory here. The SC fishing regulations are vague enough that I still do not know if I should get a license to throw the net for mullet.
    Call the DNR and ask, it's not worth the fine.

I actually had a conversation with the head of the DNR regulations. I was the same way...and still believe that it is BS that I need license to get mullet. I sent about 1 emails to the DNR and forwarded to just as many people until I got an answer. But it is true from the DNR...You do need a license to castnet for anything other then shrimp. I still don't agree with it but it is true.

The reg. is in big bold blue print. I still don't see how people see this as confusing. Its kind of like gambling don't do it if you don't have the money to loose.
    I agree it seems as if it should be the other way around, but thats South Carolina for you.
    Trust me SCDNR will be more than happy to write you a ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
    The reg. is in big bold blue print. I still don't see how people see this as confusing. Its kind of like gambling don't do it if you don't have the money to loose.
    I agree it seems as if it should be the other way around, but thats South Carolina for you.
    Trust me SCDNR will be more than happy to write you a ticket.
    I never thought to look to see if one was needed but now that I do, you're right. It is obvious and not at all questionable. Good thing I have one for 'just in case' purposes!

-=The Prynce

Columbia, SC Most of the time, Ft Fisher NC any chance I get
    Quote Originally Posted by justinfisch01 View Post
    I actually had a conversation with the head of the DNR regulations. I was the same way...and still believe that it is BS that I need license to get mullet. I sent about 1 emails to the DNR and forwarded to just as many people until I got an answer. But it is true from the DNR...You do need a license to castnet for anything other then shrimp. I still don't agree with it but it is true.
    So lets say I am throwing a cast net, who is to say I am throwing for finger mullet, or anything else, hey man I am casting for Shrimp and the little fishies got in my net...seems it ought to be the other way around..you can throw a net for bait but not for shrimp.

I do know this, if you are thowing a cast net AND u are shrimp baiting, you need a licence and it is only good in the fall....

Go figure, takes a lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by Fireline20 View Post
    So lets say I am throwing a cast net, who is to say I am throwing for finger mullet, or anything else, hey man I am casting for Shrimp and the little fishies got in my net...seems it ought to be the other way around..you can throw a net for bait but not for shrimp.

I do know this, if you are thowing a cast net AND u are shrimp baiting, you need a licence and it is only good in the fall....

I agree. I guess you'd have to do what you're supposed to if you catch a gamefish in the net, let 'em go. They like the laws being strange like that, they get to write more tickets.

casting net

Of course the dnr wouldn't know if you were casting for mullet unless you have a bucket with some in it

I was out wally world yesterday and got mine and for 10 bucks(about 2 gallons of gas) you have a piece of mind and it supports a great program.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireline20 View Post

Also remember if you are using a cast net over bait it needs to be a 1/2 " mesh, 3/8" is fine as long as your not shrimping over bait.

That $25.00 licenses is money well spent. I mean if you know what your doing it will pay for itself in one day. You can take 48 qts head on or 29 qts headed per day. I go with a friend we take two boats and two licenses so that doubles our per day limit. Go to Wally World and buy 29 qts of headed shrimp.

Yea I'm still not forgetting, you have to buy fuel to get there, fuel for your boat, a bag of clay, and a bag of fish meal to make your cakes but still.
    Last edited by Southern Man; 07-30-2008 at 05:30 PM.

So what if your fishing with rod and reel from the beach do you need a license?

Quote Originally Posted by jleegill View Post
    So what if your fishing with rod and reel from the beach do you need a license?
    YES you need a license to surf fish

Also DNR was at the bridge at Atlantic Ave (Garden City) writing tickets to fishermen and cast netters

Thanks. Heading down to Hilton Head next week and didn't know about new law. Wouldn't have even thought about it since we have been going there for 30 years on vacation. Will my dad need a license since he is over 65 ?

Any tips on the surf around Hilton Head. We usually do well, lots of rays, whiting, and those little sharp nose sharks. Would like something bigger !