Pier and Surf Forum banner

Homemade Sand Flea Rake

75K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  OBX Jay 
#1 ·
Anyone got a link or care to share how to make a homemade sand flea rake? Wanna try to catch some pomps this week/weekend and I'm a DIYer.

#2 ·
I actually just made one last week, but won't get to try it for another month.

Anyway, there was a piece of mesh metal scrap at work that got my wheels turning. It was probably about 1.5 ft x 1 ft with fairly small holes in it, but seemed to be thick enough to be useful. I bent it to roughly the shape of rakes I've seen online. I then put a piece of sheet metal on each end. I put a strip of sheet metal across the bottom and top on the leading edges, which I riveted to the sheet metal ends, and to the screen. I then put a second strip of sheet metal further back on the top side. I used a piece of electrical conduit (approx. 3.5 ft long) for the handle, flattened about 6 in. of it which I riveted to the rake. Also, prior to attaching the conduit, I bent it to make it easier to handle from a standing position. I'll try to post a couple pics for you.

Oh yeah, I also drilled some larger holes in the screen to hopefully let sand out more easily, but small enough to not lose too many fleas.

Hope that was clear enough to help.

#15 ·
mine is a five-gallon bucket. used to house kikkoman soy sauce. the chinese place here sells them for a buck! cant get cheaper than that!

just get a big scoop of sand as deep as you can get when the waves go out, then carry it up to the firm, half-dry sand, dump it and start grabbin!

then move some sand and grab some more

#17 ·
Mother Nature

The Device You Are Showing Will Catch Enough For For A 100 Anglers, They Will Die Before You Use Them.
42 Years On The Ocean Front, I Use A Quart Plastic Bucket With Two Inches Of Sand And My Hands To Catch No More Than Six Fleas, Cause They Will Die Unless O2 Nated In Fresh Salt Water , On The Beach I Dont Have A Areated Bucket For Sand Fleas. If You Start Using This High Production Capture Equipment There May Be None Left For The Rest Of Us...........................................

#18 ·
My version

Conduit handle, 1/4" regular mesh screen from the hardware store, and a 2" x 1/8" x 4' piece of aluminum strap material. This rake is 18" wide but I only drag it along the surf for a short time so I don't catch too many. ;) The screen has lasted 2 seasons and still looks good. I rinse it off as soon as I get a chance after every use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.