Pier and Surf Forum banner

Great White Shark Near Sandy Point ?

86K views 59 replies 47 participants last post by  surfnsam 
#1 ·
Hey guys is this true ? A friend emailed this picture. I,m normally in fresh water.

Chesapeake Bay, near Route 50 Bay Bridge and Sandy Point State Park…at last I have the ultimate excuse not to do the “Polar Bear Plunge” in January. It’s not only crazy to jump into freezing cold water, it could be down right dangerous! Note the expression on the face of the man wearing the Red Baseball cap. He’s still scared half out of his wits and glad to be alive!

Annapolis MD
While the vessel 'Dawn Raider’ out of Marklys Marina in Essex, Md. was fishing for Striped Bass (also locally known as Rock Fish), this Great White was hooked in the mouth but only resisted slightly for 15 minutes before it came up alongside t he boat to have a look; long enough for one of the crew members to slip a rope a round it's tail!!! 'And that's when things heated up!!
.. The Shark took off towing the 42 foot fishing boat backwards through the water at about 7 Knots. Just like in JAWS, the boat was taking on water over the stern and the crew watched in horror as the shark would actually jump completely out of the water at times. This went on for an hour before the shark finally drowned. She weighed in at 1035 LBS. It is suspected she followed a weak El Nino current into local waters in search of food. Although mid 60 degree water is considered ideal for these sharks, the larger ones can tolerate water in the low 50s.
Markley's Marina Essex, MD

NOTE: THE TAIL FIN IS THE SIZE OF A MAN!

See less See more
#7 ·
Fin seen at SPSP

There was a fin seen at least years Polar Bear Plunge...

here is the pic...

except it was attached to a Planer board a little out from the boat. I think it was a pretty funny joke...

#13 ·
It is a mako - and the area code in the phone number on the crane is not Maryland...

#12 ·
Read OREST's post above.

Bull Sharks like brackish waters and they come up to the Bridge. Bulls are very nasty and aggressive.

#14 ·
"On Aug. 26, 1987, The Baltimore Sun reported that a man had caught a 420-pound, 8 1/2-foot bull shark while fishing

around the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. Similar catches have been reported as far north as Aberdeen, up near the mouth of the Susquehanna River.
"

dont kn ow how reliable this is...

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/innews/baysharks2004.html

#15 ·
Great White?

Are you sure it wasn't a thresher? Bayfisher caught this beauty a few years back!!

LMAO Sorry I couldn't help myself!!!:D:D

#16 · (Edited)
Good eye on the phone number on the crane, but the crane could be from out of town, or put there by the manufacturer rather than owner. But the phone numbers are relevant as its the same on the two links (not to mention the same people and photos). Compare the two posts and that says it all...HOAX

See ffemtreed's post of http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/yarmouth.asp and

Compare to my prior post of: http://vbsf.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=Print&client=printer&f=11&t=12861

So it was either Nova Scotia or Chessie.... this one is wrapped up.

#20 ·
that Thresher. What a fight. :D

man I knew PowerPro was tough but WOW.. I

But yeah bull sharks, they chase them Rays up the bay. They get nabbed every now and then up near the bridge... and for anyone who watches the discovery or nat'l geo channels on sharks, those thing will swim up rivers in Asia and Africa and have a field day on the people in the water.

As someone said before. if you go in water knee deep, you are no longer on the top of the food chain.

#24 ·
there are always sharks in the area first of all, the chances of actually encountering one that far up the bay are very slim but it is possible and has happened....and the answer to your question is no the pictures are of a large Mako shark not a great white and a mako is a deep water shark doest frequent beaches and low salinity bays

#29 ·
First of all , there have never been any documented reports of ******'s taken in the bay . Secondly , big bulls are a regular occurence . While fishing out of a Bunky's rental boat about 12 years ago I had a 10 plus footer swim right next to the boat . There were alot of cownose rays around at that time which are favorite prey of many sharks . I screemed at my friend to untie the anchor so we could persue for a pic but by that time the fish was gone . Now for the good part . The following story was posted on another board by Grumpop . He was fishing with man by the name of Bobby Ford of Pricess Anne , MD . Bobby was one of the first people I met upon moving to the ES almost 10 years ago and has forgot more about fishing the Tangier Sound and surrounding waters than I could ever hope to know . Ironically, I ran into him last week while filling up the boat in Princess Anne and we briefly chatted about the following encounter : ...First thing to say on that is that bulls are real real dangerous critters. They thrive in the shallowest waters and even fresh waters. They are incredibly aggressive and in the Bahamas where I bonefish the native population never swims even in the gin clearest and shallowest waters in the middle of the day without a wary eye out at all times for a bull. They don't circle and cautiously approach like in National Geographic. They come fast, straight, and hard to eat you if that is what they decide to do. I have been reading all summer of the sharking adventures on here and I'm amazed that I haven't read of a single bull in all that time. Then again they may be the ones accounting for the descriptions of the sharks easily pulling away from all efforts to hold one.
Anyhow we did this in the summer because we were bored with summer fishing. The trout fihermen off Deal Island were reporting lots of half cut trout coming up. We brought what we thought was a good strong shark rod on board. As soon as we arrived on the scene a guy in another boat offered us a live bluefish of about 4 pounds. I hooked it in the dorsal and my buddy began to drop the anchor. While the anchor was still dropping I was paying out line and there was a thud and then a steady walking off of the line. The blue had not made it 10 yards out of the back of the boat. I remember thinking "Boy these little fish stealers must be thick in here." So he stops dropping the anchor and I flip the lever and stick him two, three, or four times real hard. And off he goes steady but not screaming. Our first task was to clear the flotilla of trout fishing boats which we did. It was 600 pm and hot hot.
So now master angler here is going to set up on this toothy stealer and whip him but quick. And I did to the point that my arms and upper body were quivering. I was exhausted in the heat but I remember announcing "I've got 'em comin' my way now" as I could see that he was coming to the surface about 30 yards from the boat. When he came to the surface our mouths dropped open. He looked like a submarine surfacing and surprisingly brown. He looked much longer than the 13 feet he later measured and 345 lbs. he later weighed as crazy as that sounds. It was right then that I realized that he had been towing around our 23' boat and not the other way around. The only smart thing to have done would have been to cut him off right then and there. But we did everything except make that smart decision. See no one had ever even heard of a shark like that in that area of the bay and we were not going to be stuck for life telling the unbelievable "fish story" of the shark we lost big as a submarine. "Yeah, right. Grab these boys another beer. That's some story." There is much more to tell between 600 pm and 400 am about all this which includes how that shark traveled and clung to the deepest water available to him at all times. How I came to discover how many handguns are on boats in the lower Chesapeake in the middle of a weekday night. See my buddy like adult beverages and became convinced that we needed to shoot the shark. Lots of people out there thought the same thing and they had the weaponry. I was sober and was the only voice saying that if we kill it with a gun it will sink and it obviously weighs far in excess of your line breaking strength and we'll lose it. We only went my way on this one because of bad aim and not because of a good persuasive argument. At one point I thought I was going ot get killed by a bullet glancing off the surface. When we finally landed the shark you could see that at least one bullet entered his head but it seemed to have no impact on him. The reel completely blew up (a big Penn, and I never had one of theirs fail before or since) when the bearings went at about 200 am. We landed this creature in the shallow water near South Marsh Island at about 400 am. by tying a rope to his tail and hauling him into the boat with about 4 or 5 people. We took pictures of us with him hanging from a chain lift in a car garage and during one of those at about dawn he swung his head in my direction. Unbelievable. As we had no gimbel I was black and blue from the butt of the rod for weeks. I slept all that next day and had to take off the day after that. I have the jaws which you can step into up to your waist. I've said many times since that it was like being hooked to the devil himself. And that story ended any interest I had in landing a shark. Swim on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.