Pier and Surf Forum banner

rappahannock river

8K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  wdbrand 
#1 ·
Quick question for yall VA fisherman! Look, next week I am going to be in Va and we plan to hit the rappahannock river for some fishing and would like to catch a few striped bass for fun! My question, what are some good lures for that river? Green Curly Grubs any good? Crankbaits? I would assume so.

Last summer we used peeler but finding em for bait got tough!

Thanks!

G

#4 ·
Merry point is on the Corrotoman river, leading to the Rapp. There are some good places to fish for stripers in the corrotoman, among other fish. Look for points with ledges and grass beds. Most any soft plastic curly or paddle tail will usually produce some action. Try some 3"-4" storm sassy shads. Topwater baits in the morning and evening. If your stuck on shore, might as well just soak some baits and sit back enjoy the humid air.

#6 ·
Maaaaan............I wanna tell you so BAD where mine and my best friend's honeyhole is in that river where we catch stripers,blues,flounder,spot,croaker,sharks, and NICE reds........BUT I AM SWORN TO SECRECY!!!

IF IT WAS JUST "MY" SPOT.....EVERYONE HERE KNOWS THAT I WOULD TELL YOU!

SORRY MAN:redface:

#12 ·
wdbrand,
Cat Point Creek is up the Rappahannock river past the tappahannock bridge on the right side. It is tidal brackish water, depending on the rain. Spring time is a awesome time to be in there. Big stipers make a run in there with the herring, shad, ring perch, and huge cats. Right now there may be more catfish biting then anything else. Ive caught some nice largemouths and crappie in there too. From the landing at heritage, I usually paddle to the right, up the creek, and fish a lot of the bends. Some holes back there 18'-20' deep. Huge gar in there too.
M

#13 ·
Thanks Marstang.

I'll be after channel cats from 2 to 6 lbs or better. Never fished there but am gynna try it one time. In the "doah"[all fresh water] channels were the most abundant. Understand about a mile up from camp it goes fresh. Any better fishin upstream for channels? wdbrand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.