Thread: pro knife sharpeners

pro knife sharpeners

Are there any professional knife sharpening services in Hampton Roads, preferably Southside? I found a S&W folder alongside the road recently, but the edge is all crapped up. If it were just a regular blade I'd take care of it, but it's partially serrated and I don't have the right stuff to put an edge back on the serrated portion.

Also, I've never paid for this type of service before...what can I expect? I'm thinking $5-10, but since from what I can tell it's only about a $35 knife I don't want to dump much more than that into it.

Another option that I just found...I already have a Lansky system (that I dislike). I just found that they also offer a triangular hone that's designed for serrated knives. I could go with this option as well if any of you can convince me that it would be effective. If so...any advice on where I might be able to pick up this hone without having to order online and pay shipping?

I have used the triangular hone with good success on small pocket knives and big hunting knives. Not sure where to buy just that piece though as mine came with the kit.

Chesapeake Knives and Cutler can sharpen your knives for a fee, sorry not sure what it is.

Bass Pro Shops will do it for free

Quote Originally Posted by fish-on
    Bass Pro Shops will do it for free
    The man said professional

Maybe 1 out of every 15-20 people that work there know half a braincell worth of something half useful

Good luck with that.

Oil stone

Best sharpener around. That's what I use.

Quote Originally Posted by RuddeDogg
    Best sharpener around. That's what I use.
    And how do you sharpen a serrated knife on your oil stone? I have a fairly high end set of kitchen knives (messermeister), and for the rare occasions when I can't just steel them to realign the edge, I have a set of norton waterstones (220/1000/4000/8000 grit). They work great on regular edges, but not on anything else. Enlighten me on how a flat stone works for serrated edges please.

Honestly........

I don't use serrated knives.