Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Launching baits

Launching baits

Last year, I said I was going to try and work up a system to launch baits from the surf. I got a little tied up with other things and never did any testing.

So this year, I plan to come up with a device to launch 8 and a bait up to 200 yards. I will either use a balloon launcher, a modified balloon launcher that uses compressed air (video), or (unlikely) some kind of modified spud gun.

And yes, I realize this is probably the post that will appear in my obituary after this little project wins me the Darwin Award, but it'll be a fun way to go out.

Any engineers on here willing to help out?

little cannons

I have saw guys use little cannons to deploy weightn'bait for sturgeon in the columbia river out west.

Tell me more...

On the Coast...From St. Simons Island to Vilano Beach.
    'Flea, the spud gun thing should work. I used to mess around with them quite a lot. I remember that a coleman lantern ignitor (the filnt type) and Consort Hair Spray for men worked the best of any combo we tried.

All you need is a 2' piece of 4" schedule 40, a screw in plug and adaptor, a 4" to 1-1/2" collector, and about 30" of 1-1/2" schedule 40.

Drill the hole in the 4" about 1/2 way, install the ignitor, with JB weld as a sealant. Also assemble the gun with the JB weld, as pipe glue WON'T hold up.

Cut a wood dowel(broom stick) ram-rod the length of your barrel plus about 4".

Shove the tater in...spray a 4 sec burst of Consort into the big end, screw on the cap, flick the ignitor.....FFFOOOOMP! One tater at least 200 yds. out.....

As for the additional payload, I have no clue how that'll work, but I'd guess that the gun I've described will launch a 2 or 3 oz. plus bait....maybe press a pyramid into the front of the tater.....

Don't forget to open your bail.......

Quote Originally Posted by Railroader
    maybe press a pyramid into the front of the tater.....
    Ah, see? Somebody's already thinking!

From what I can remember the guys worked in a machine shop and built the cannon themselves. I would say it was probably 4 ft. long, 5-6 inch in diameter and fired approx. 2 inch sphere weights.

On the Coast...From St. Simons Island to Vilano Beach.
    I'm guessin that to REALLY launch an 8oz. plus bait, the dimensions of the gun would have to be increased to fire a head of cabbage....should be NO problem to encase the whole weight/bait payload, though. Half the cabbage, press the payload inside, shove down the pipe. Presto, instant sabot round....

You'd need a 6" diameter barrel, and a 12" dia. gas tube, though...and CANS of Consort. Reel Magic aerosol is mostly butane, EXTREMELY flammable and should work well as a propellant, but would be very expensive.

i think the bike pump compressed air job you listed would be the ticket, and down size the pvc size to fit 6nbait or 8nbait.I would even try pvc inside of pvc to reinforce the barrel incase of a to much pressure barrel explosion. then you would need less wadding. if you stick the weight into the potato or the cabbage, whats going to dislodge it in the water? cabbage would make a helluva bobber though.

Matt...

Boubon runnin heavy ,tonite? ....I'm hoping the launcher is lighter than a yak

launcher

Flea, heard about a guy here in NJ made one that fired from the beach. Not a spud gun but a launcher for all weight. It has been a while since I heard of it, but I believe he had it patented. If that is so, you may be able to find out more through the patent office... I know this sounds vague and I apologize for it but I did hear about it from his son....

Well honestly, I think the old fashioned sling is the easiest tool and would probably work the best. Put the lead in the launching pouch and let the bait hang underneath.

But I'm intrigued by the pneumatic guns. Looks like a one man launch. Unfortunately, you need to get a seal around the tube for it to work, and I have no idea how to do that fish a fishfinder rig.

Quote Originally Posted by sand flea
    Well honestly, I think the old fashioned sling is the easiest tool and would probably work the best. Put the lead in the launching pouch and let the bait hang underneath.

But I'm intrigued by the pneumatic guns. Looks like a one man launch. Unfortunately, you need to get a seal around the tube for it to work, and I have no idea how to do that fish a fishfinder rig.
    sling fer launchin baits+ 6oz-8oz sinkers+ 3 dudes (or gf or wifey)+ a few cold ones= someones gonna get whacked

Deffinitely want to be there to tape the inaugural cast...I know I can make the finals of American's funniest home videos

The sling shot looks like someone is going to hurt especially if you add some chillies and 3 guys laughing their azzs off into the equation.
    Railroader was on to something with the spud gun that sounds just like my old set up except we chamfered the end so the tater cut right in with hardly any force, I think if you took the pyrimid and spun it in the tater it would round it out so then it would fall out when it hit the water.
    MATT

bait cannon

flea...i saw this advertised somewhere last year...i also believe they were doing demos...not too sure which beach.

5-n-bait

This is one of our club members newest device to launch a frozen weight and bait pod upwards of 300yards.

heres the link
    http://faroutfishin.com/

yeah...

the system i was reading about also used frozen "pods" which i believed included the bait, hook and sinker being frozen as a unit or something to that effect.

but i do believe the demo was at a "local" beach del/md/va/nc.

i believe that's what i saw...

did these guy do any demos up in the northern coastal states.

Looks like they're using frozen blocks to launch their baits. So apparently I'm not the first nutjob to consider this a legitimate idea...

I'm still partial to the slingshot method, but it could be extremely dangerous and requires 3 people. 3 very stupid people.

Quote Originally Posted by Nserch4Drum
    sling fer launchin baits+ 6oz-8oz sinkers+ 3 dudes (or gf or wifey)+ a few cold ones= someones gonna get whacked

Deffinitely want to be there to tape the inaugural cast...I know I can make the finals of American's funniest home videos
    I'm down for the 4th of July. You know you're gonna be one of the guys holding the sling, right?

And all joking aside, I am dead serious about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nserch4Drum

I was just going to say that..
    I want a video camera, witness for interviews through out, catchy slogan, and dibs on the tape when done. I will put in to AFHV and split it with all subscribers.... This is the best burbon post ever... I have got to drink with you guys...

M-79 or M-203 grenade launcher

Yeah Man

How about belt fed? That would work.

Ok so what about the backlash issues with launching 8 n bait out of a tater gun (spud gun)....or the balloon launcher? whos gonna thumb that one down? might just work with a spinning rod tho....hopefully somebody has thought this one out ahead of me

Quote Originally Posted by TreednNC
    Ok so what about the backlash issues with launching 8 n bait out of a tater gun (spud gun)....or the balloon launcher? whos gonna thumb that one down? might just work with a spinning rod tho....hopefully somebody has thought this one out ahead of me
    Thought it out. Launch from a big spinner or pour the line into a 5-gallon bucket. Otherwise this thing would create the mother of all backlashes.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast