Pier and Surf Forum banner

Ambassadeur 5500c Removal Of Level Wind

6K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Connman 
#1 ·
Does any know where I get a bar to replace the level wind on this reel?

#5 ·
Ah contraie. You cannot use a right handed ct frame on a left handed reel. The brakeplate would not fit properly. The threads for the left side plate would also be different.

Check with HJ or Tres at HO. I would assume that one or the other will have the conversion bars, if not a left handed ct frame.

#10 ·
Fish Hunter - the threads on both the studs and the tapped sleeves are 'left handed'.

Orest - the black knob past the end tension knob is my mag adjuster. The reel retains the ability to move the spool across the cage.

Seajay - what you see is something that one of my fishing buddies made for me back in 1996/7, he was a computer component engineer - Joe Gibson-Moore. He also had a part in the design of the Penn 525 Mag prototype, Neil Mackellow went on to use one at Baytown Texas in September 1998.
A picture paints a 1000 words.

#16 ·
The "poor man solution" to replace the level wind (if you can live with the top bar still at place) is to remove the idler gear (#5152) from the left side plate and the line carrier from the levelvind (leaving the worm gear and worm guard attached on the frame with the worm gear lock just to secure that the frame keeps it straightness)
Without the idler gear the spool will not be slowed down by the level wind. The idler gear can easily be attached again if one wants to use the level wind again, just get you’re self a c-lock (#4490) to hold it at place if you’re reel didn’t come with it “out of the box”.

#17 ·
Jesse,

We catch fish - not big by your standards, but fish. Cod & Whiting in the winter, Plaice, Flounder in the spring, Bass, Mackerel, Smoothhonds, rays, pollack int he summer/autumn.

We also have terrain that looks like moon-scape too - not very friendly in a raging sea.

You are correct, in that you see a lot of tricked out tackle from the UK - which is often requested by your fellow anglers.

Internet chat rooms are agreat medium for finding out information.

Led.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.