Rod/Reel Combo: How to Question

Thread: Rod/Reel Combo: How to Question

Rod/Reel Combo: How to Question

I have a 11' Battalion Spinning rod, rated 2-6 oz. to be used in the surf. The reel will be either a Penn Battle II 5000 or a Penn Spinfisher V 5500, the line will be 14# Suffix Tri. Conditions permitting will use 4 oz. weight, fish finder or double drop setup.

I know this is not a heaver setup, not intended to be. Will be drop fishing for whatever comes along.

Question: Which reel would be best used or are they both about the same?

Question: Which would be the better cast, Throw as far as possible or aim for mid-range water?

Question: With 4 oz. should I use a shock leader or will a bite leader work ok?

Thank to all for positive input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

I think the Battle will do just fine for you and save a couple dollars. Its a stout reel. With what you will be doing, you will most likely not notice a difference between it and the SV.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadF350 View Post
    I think the Battle will do just fine for you and save a couple dollars. Its a stout reel. With what you will be doing, you will most likely not notice a difference between it and the SV.
    I already have both reels in hand and thanks for the advice.

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

I have the 12' battalion and I love the battle II paired with it. I use braid so I use a shock leader, but for reg mono throwing only 4 oz I would no. I use a cannon release with mine there are great once you get used to them. The breakaway web site sells them.

Just to reply to your one question about casting far, one year 4 of us were all fishing together, all of us in our 60's, some pushing 70 yrs. old, our one buddy had a bad shoulder, we were all standing in about a foot of water, he could only lob his bait maybe 40' out in the wash, guess who caught all the fish?, yeah ''him''. It's been said that we usually cast over most of the fish, being able to cast far is just another tool, some times necessary, sometimes not, but I have to admit, it's fun to be able to cast way out there if you want to. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by poppop1 View Post
    Just to reply to your one question about casting far, one year 4 of us were all fishing together, all of us in our 60's, some pushing 70 yrs. old, our one buddy had a bad shoulder, we were all standing in about a foot of water, he could only lob his bait maybe 40' out in the wash, guess who caught all the fish?, yeah ''him''. It's been said that we usually cast over most of the fish, being able to cast far is just another tool, some times necessary, sometimes not, but I have to admit, it's fun to be able to cast way out there if you want to. Good luck.
    Well said sir.

Bosco, I have several of the SSV reels and like them a bunch. If you want max distance you may want to consider braid. Power Pro 20 lb test is a good place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatback View Post
    Well said sir.

Bosco, I have several of the SSV reels and like them a bunch. If you want max distance you may want to consider braid. Power Pro 20 lb test is a good place to start.
    As I mentioned this is not to be used as a heaver, just wondering if best throwing as far as I can, which would be short of a heaver or to target mid-range water. my plan, if it makes sense is use 12' for as far as I can chunk it. Use this 11' just short of that, followed by a 9-10' closer in and a 7-8' for playing in the suds.

To answer one of your questions, yes you will want shock for 14lb test and 4 ounces

the breakaway cannon is very helpful
    Last edited by HStew; 04-21-2017 at 08:55 PM. Reason: spelling

For whiting if I want to fill the cooler I usually do a soft lob out. If you sling it out far you have a chance at some big whiting, but just a chance. In close I find lots of whiting, but 1/2 not worth keeping and also plenty of croakers, spots and rays to deal with. The mid ground is where I tend to find the combo of very consistent bites and good keepers, but it always depends on a lot of different things that effect the fish so if I'm not bending a rod every 10-15 minutes I start bringing my casts in or start slinging them farther till I find the depth that they like.

Personally I use a 12' (8nBait heaver w/ heavy tackle for big uns AKA Glory Rod), an 11' mid long to mid cast for for bigger table-fare or brought in closer to add more to the cooler, and a 10' with a Battle II 4000 for filling the cooler. That's the one I slightly lob out short of midway. That rod will keep me very busy, you can do the same with your 11' and 5000. I used to use the 11' with a 6 size on it for that when needed and then move it out for bigger stuff since it's a very versatile combo but I had the chance to add the 10' and size 4 so I did.

I think your 4 rod combo is too much. 3 can be too much to handle and honestly on a good day so can 2. You can always bring them in closer when needed, I've dropped the 10' right in the suds many times since it's a 2-4. If you are looking for fish to eat then keep your 11' and get a 10' to go with it. Depending on where you are planning to fish a 12'er is mostly for sport. Bull Reds aren't legal, shark doesn't taste good, and I don't eat rays or bull Black Drum.

As for reels, I'm a Penn guy and I have a couple reels from both lines and they are both good. Put the SSV on the 11' and the Battle II on either a 10' or another 11' if you want. The SSV is just a stouter reel that can handle big stuff and abuse better.

YMMV but that's my $0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by MadDawgJ View Post
    For whiting if I want to fill the cooler I usually do a soft lob out. If you sling it out far you have a chance at some big whiting, but just a chance. In close I find lots of whiting, but 1/2 not worth keeping and also plenty of croakers, spots and rays to deal with. The mid ground is where I tend to find the combo of very consistent bites and good keepers, but it always depends on a lot of different things that effect the fish so if I'm not bending a rod every 10-15 minutes I start bringing my casts in or start slinging them farther till I find the depth that they like.

Personally I use a 12' (8nBait heaver w/ heavy tackle for big uns AKA Glory Rod), an 11' mid long to mid cast for for bigger table-fare or brought in closer to add more to the cooler, and a 10' with a Battle II 4000 for filling the cooler. That's the one I slightly lob out short of midway. That rod will keep me very busy, you can do the same with your 11' and 5000. I used to use the 11' with a 6 size on it for that when needed and then move it out for bigger stuff since it's a very versatile combo but I had the chance to add the 10' and size 4 so I did.

I think your 4 rod combo is too much. 3 can be too much to handle and honestly on a good day so can 2. You can always bring them in closer when needed, I've dropped the 10' right in the suds many times since it's a 2-4. If you are looking for fish to eat then keep your 11' and get a 10' to go with it. Depending on where you are planning to fish a 12'er is mostly for sport. Bull Reds aren't legal, shark doesn't taste good, and I don't eat rays or bull Black Drum.

As for reels, I'm a Penn guy and I have a couple reels from both lines and they are both good. Put the SSV on the 11' and the Battle II on either a 10' or another 11' if you want. The SSV is just a stouter reel that can handle big stuff and abuse better.

YMMV but that's my $0.02.
    Thank you for the most useful input. If you are local, I can see using 1-3 rods, but if traveling I see bringing it all and seeing up as you suggest.

Case in point, as it neared low tide today both the 10' and 11' where cast with just a side arm wrist flip to get them out the 20 yards to the hole the whiting where still hanging out in. Filled the cooler with what I wanted and sent many well feed ones back home. The versatility of a longer rod adds potential distance, it doesn't remove the in close ability. Many times I don't ever bring, or like today, don't even rig up the third one it's just there as a spare. But that's mainly because I travel light so I can get out to the good spots not the easy to get to spots.

Good luck and post pics when you get some catches.

This one was about average for the day:
     photo F032D1C8-2653-4520-A3DF-7C10996EAD26_zpsqqbiq3ji.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    I have a 11' Battalion Spinning rod, rated 2-6 oz. to be used in the surf. The reel will be either a Penn Battle II 5000 or a Penn Spinfisher V 5500, the line will be 14# Suffix Tri. Conditions permitting will use 4 oz. weight, fish finder or double drop setup.

I know this is not a heaver setup, not intended to be. Will be drop fishing for whatever comes along.

Question: Which reel would be best used or are they both about the same?

Question: Which would be the better cast, Throw as far as possible or aim for mid-range water?

Question: With 4 oz. should I use a shock leader or will a bite leader work ok?

Thank to all for positive input.
    You have gotten some sound advice, and to be sure you are well on your way.

You did ask though, which reel would be best. Have no idea about what is you are discussing specifically, as I use completely different junk, but there is a way to determine a best reel without me knowing.

When you loose a spinning reel there is a lot of chaos. Not at all like a baitcaster. Extra chaos. The line behaves erratically as it tries to pass through the stripper guide. The easier it does this, the better the match. However, the easier it passes through successive guides matters much more. Any combo that features a mismatched rod and reel will cost you distance and pleasure. Even a superior reel mounted on the wrong rod will not beat an inferior reel that matches just so.

Seems each reel has a different foot angle, and it is that angle that you should focus on. Does the center of the spool actually point straight at that stripper guide.....or does it point inwards or away ? Your best reel will be the one that aligns the best. Braided line actually prefers to be managed well as it passes through the second guide. Performs best when it is directed properly.

To determine a good match, find a long table. On the edge, align your stripper guide centered on the edge. Now bring the reel towards the edge, to where you get a straight line, and look hard. Does the center to the spool align on the angle you just created. Or does it miss the guide ? Changing brands of reels, or even selecting different sizes of same brands, can make an alignment possible.

You also asked if it is better to routinely cast over the fish. I say yes sir it is. If you are spiking multiple rods, park at least one rig on top of that far bar, or gathered onto the side of it. I fish at extreme distance each and every time I go. Much easier for a long caster to cast short, than a short caster to cast long. There are some very fine fish out there, even if some don't believe that.

Good luck

i never realized how big whiting could get until i started fishing with live fleas waaay far out....look like puppy drum. my home beach is very flat so your mileage may vary...