Auto or Manual Tranny?

Thread: Auto or Manual Tranny?

Auto or Manual Tranny?

I'll be retiring to the OBX here in the next couple years and was thinking about getting another 4x for running around town and local beach cruising .. something small like a
    jeep Wrangler or something like that. I've never had a Jeep and was wondering which transmission would work better for sand driving ? Don't really have to have a jeep but
    it's hard to find a 4x where you can take the top down/off. Got a F150 4x Screw for towing and camping but just want something small and fun for daily driving.
    Thanks,
    aln

Hi aln,
    I would lean towards an automatic. It would allow easier startups in the softer sand. If who are to quick with a clutch you could dig a hole.

Automatic

4. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Alright then .. if DaBig2na says auto then this thread can be closed . Thanks

Automatic, make sure to get any upgraded towing package or the like, to include a HD trans cooler if it is an option. Older jeeps had some trans problems, if you get one and decide to go to an HD trans cooler package, take it to a good shop that can crimp the new lines in instead of double hose clamps

Ain I am certainly not the Gospel.

You're driving a Jeep, with the top off.. with your girl in the right hand seat putting around the beach.....your not pulling a boat or hauling a bunch of crap, doesn't need to be an HD Tranny either, sorry NCK, it's not necessary .. a Standard Auto will be just fine

I have an old 1983 CJ7 I wish it was an automatic..
    Damn Keeping a Clutch Pressed in when your sitting in traffic, or finding the friction point and slowly easing up on it when you're trying to go up a hill. That's the only part I don't like about driving it...Why work harder than you need to? You're retired!

You've heard ,Two greatest inventions in the world were the Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich, and the Automatic Transmission.
    Well I tend to agree..
    Last edited by DaBig2na; 04-22-2017 at 06:35 AM.

That's the plan Mr. 2na .. some type of Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with a fish box/rod carrier on both ends and a wahini in a bikini driving the beach while I pop chillies and look for secret spots. Only other thing I was wondering about while picking my ride was the seats. I'm thinking that tan leather seats would be better than cloth cause them cloth seats might be a bit uncomfortable if ya got caught with the top off and a pop up tstorm rolled through. Seems like one could just wipe the water off of leather but them cloth seats could soak up a bucket full of water and might be a bit uncomfortable to sit on. What ya think ?

I have the Bestop Seat covers in mine, Still has the original nutmeg seats. The Bestop are a Vynil waterproof seat cover. You can spend the extra $ and buy the Wet Okle neoprene seat covers. Which I have in my other vehicles. I never want to have a seat get wet; leather or cloth.

I love the newer four door Wranglers, lifted a bit with slightly oversized tires.

An auto is usually the best choice in any OR situation. The exception that comes to mind is if you drive longer distances in soft sand. My last trip to Davis/South Core Banks included a couple of new pickup rigs with "towing package" that included tranny coolers and what have you. Everyone's auto tranny ran hot on the trip from the cabins to the south end and back, which is several miles one way, even the newer trucks. The trip was at high tide, so we had to drive the whole way thru the soft stuff (often you can go on the hard stuff below the high tide mark for an easier drive).

I ran my 350 in 4 Lo. No overheating whatsoever. So much easier on the powertrain.