Fletchers Cove

Thread: Fletchers Cove

Fletchers Cove

Took the kids out. Tried the Chain Bridge but not the best spot for kids. Kids toughed it out for an hour but kept getting hung up. Drove down to Fletcher and rented a boat. Hooked at least 60 landed around 50 in a couple of hours. Kids had a blast. Most were Hickory. 2 American which my son caught. He got the biggest fish prize and my daughter got the most fish prize. I got the most fish unhooked and released award. Lol. Now if I can find time to get out to the beach to fish for the Blues or Black Drum.......

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Nice. Get em all on darts?

You might be a lifesaver with this report! My wife informed me yesterday that I'm taking her brother-in-law and his kids fishing tomorrow. I was racking my brain trying to think of a spot that would keep three under 10 kids entertained. I figure even if the fish aren't biting, they can have some fun being out in the boat.

Do I need a DC license to fish at fletchers? I haven't had a chance to look it up yet but I'm assuming yes.

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Yes you need a fishing license for DC. You can get a temp license or a non-residency one if you don't live in DC. The license may run you about $15.

You can get the licenses at
    https://doee.dc.gov/service/get-fishing-license

Did not do as well as SpeedRacer, but on Tuesday the slow/deeper water on the Fletcher’s side seemed best in the afternoon. On the far side the cormorants will drop presents on you. The advice you can get at the shop is always good.

Color did not seem important for a change. Double dart or big dart and mini-spoon. Used fishbites bloodworms for perch, but in the past minnows or small gulp twister tails took the bigger ones.

In the old days they only took cash. I expect this has changed, but you may want to call and ask.

Chain bridge can be very taxing , best way to fish there is bobber cast and retrieve or cast treble hooks and snag you have to find pools behind rocks to drop sinkers , it takes time to learn how to fish there , boat was a great choice , as you can get to some good spots , kids are happy catching fishing not so much ,
    Nice story many of us older guys been there done that I've waded out to spots down there to cat fish have many great memories from that area

Quote Originally Posted by CYT View Post
    Nice. Get em all on darts?
    All on Darts. We fished a variety of sizes and colors and it didn't seem to matter. Water was pretty clear. The Americans were caught on a bigger dart. I think it's more of a small bucktail than a dart. They seemed all over the water column when we first started but when the wind picked up later in the day and we slowed our retrieve down and that did the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by nhunter344 View Post
    You might be a lifesaver with this report! My wife informed me yesterday that I'm taking her brother-in-law and his kids fishing tomorrow. I was racking my brain trying to think of a spot that would keep three under 10 kids entertained. I figure even if the fish aren't biting, they can have some fun being out in the boat.

Do I need a DC license to fish at fletchers? I haven't had a chance to look it up yet but I'm assuming yes.
    Yes for the license. You can get them online or at Fletchers Cove. Fletchers opens at 7am to last boat rental is at 5pm I believe. $16 an hour or $30 a day. There are places to fish from shore to but they might be taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Openboat View Post
    You can get the licenses at
    https://doee.dc.gov/service/get-fishing-license

Did not do as well as SpeedRacer, but on Tuesday the slow/deeper water on the Fletcher’s side seemed best in the afternoon. On the far side the cormorants will drop presents on you. The advice you can get at the shop is always good.

Color did not seem important for a change. Double dart or big dart and mini-spoon. Used fishbites bloodworms for perch, but in the past minnows or small gulp twister tails took the bigger ones.

In the old days they only took cash. I expect this has changed, but you may want to call and ask.
    Should have scrolled down before I replied to another post. Lol.

We were not far out. There were way too many people out further but it was too crowded especially with kids. Lots of fly fisherman out there and didn't want to mess them up. Fish seemed to be everywhere though.

Most were caught on tandem rigged darts. I even had 2 straighten my hook. Granted these are shad darts we are taking about. Lol

Fletcher do take CC's now.

Excellent report SR!
    Straightened hook probably from the larger Americans?
    Need to get my butt down there but will probably be targeting Blues and Rock this week.
    Caught my share of Hickories last week on the upper Choptank.

Quote Originally Posted by CYT View Post
    Excellent report SR!
    Straightened hook probably from the larger Americans?
    Need to get my butt down there but will probably be targeting Blues and Rock this week.
    Caught my share of Hickories last week on the upper Choptank.
    Don't get too excited about straightening the hooks CYT, they were cheap shad darts with some pretty weak looking hooks. I bought them thinking my kids are going to get hung up a lot near the bridge so it won't break the bank when they lose a bunch. Lol. Can't tell what type they were but my son did catch 2 Americans which were a lot bigger than the Hickory's.