Good size specks just arrived at Rudee- Apr 14 Report

Thread: Good size specks just arrived at Rudee- Apr 14 Report

Good size specks just arrived at Rudee- Apr 14 Report

As expected, good size specks just arrived at Rudee, VA.
    But I didn’t do well as I prepared. I caught about 10 specks. Only one was 22 inch long while some kayakers caught specks at 23-26”. I captured some large specks caught by other yakers on the video.

When specks weren’t biting I fished for puppy drums. I caught about 10 puppy drums at 16-20”. I released three 18 inch puppy drum because they were very skinny. Also caught a 15" grey trout (weakfish) and 4 20" bluefish.

Now specks are in at Rudee in full force.

Fishing Log:

Joe

Liked

Thanks for the report, looking to fish that area soon!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Amen!
    I got the following last Sat in my kayak:
    19 inch speck
    18.5, 18.25, and 19.5 inch keeper red pups
    right at keeper flounder

also released like 6 reds with 2 of them def being 18in+
    I am still learning to effectively target specks, but the red bite has been very reliable- I hit grass lines at high tide with a Z-man Trout Trick twitched on the bottom. I am in a Camo 13' Ocean Kayak Trident- think I ran into you.

Tonight- 3 keeper specks- no monsters, but got to the ramp to see a guy with a 24 and 21 in speck, 1 rat red, and 1 blue around 18-19 inches that got off right at the kayak

Folks, all of these fish swim right past that bulkhead. If you are a shoreline angler, you have a great shot at these fish as well!

Quote Originally Posted by bluefish1928 View Post
    Amen!
    I got the following last Sat in my kayak:
    19 inch speck
    18.5, 18.25, and 19.5 inch keeper red pups
    right at keeper flounder

also released like 6 reds with 2 of them def being 18in+
    I am still learning to effectively target specks, but the red bite has been very reliable- I hit grass lines at high tide with a Z-man Trout Trick twitched on the bottom. I am in a Camo 13' Ocean Kayak Trident- think I ran into you.

Tonight- 3 keeper specks- no monsters, but got to the ramp to see a guy with a 24 and 21 in speck, 1 rat red, and 1 blue around 18-19 inches that got off right at the kayak

Folks, all of these fish swim right past that bulkhead. If you are a shoreline angler, you have a great shot at these fish as well!
    Thanks for the tip. I need to learn that "Z-man Trout Trick twitched on the bottom" techinique.

Joe

Sorry, I'm a bank fisherman, never fished this area. Heard of the bulkhead, and googled that area. Where exactly, should I be looking , to fish this area. Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by BnCFishin View Post
    Sorry, I'm a bank fisherman, never fished this area. Heard of the bulkhead, and googled that area. Where exactly, should I be looking , to fish this area. Thanks in advance!
    The mouth of Rudee Inlet is rather small. However, fish move in and out of the inlet. Knowing this I would probably fish a carolina or fish finder rig with fresh cut mullet whenever the tide is moving. As for lures, cast diagonally with the current and work the lure across the inlet.

As for twitching a Trout Trick, I essentially copied what people on FW do when finese fishing for smallmouth bass, but a bit faster. As with most ambush predators, they seem to hit on the pause or the drop. I have had numerous instances where I get a hit while letting it sit there to readjust my kay positioning. I don't know why they didn't name it the Redfish Trick because I have only landed 2 tiny specks on it but over 20 reds so far.