Pier and Surf Forum banner

Power Pro Superslick 8 vs Suffix 832

Gear: 
10K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  Jerry Norris 
#1 ·
Looking to spool up a freshwater/light saltwater outfit w/ my new Shimano Nasci 2500 spinning reel.

What 10# test braid would be best? ie: wind knots, knot strength, and casting distance.
I know the power pro=2#mono and Suffix 832=4#mono which I thought was quite large for a 10# braid.
Kevin Van Dam swears by power pro for whatever that's worth. Most saltwater guys swear by the 832.

#4 ·
I have tried both and this is my observation.

Power pro 8 superslick.
Four rods rigged for casting hundreds of times a trip. The 8 had a few wind knots that could not be sorted out. After 3 months all four of the reels had lost too much line to use again. Had to cut the wind knots out. Tried my trick with the mashing of the knot with the teeth but it never once worked.

Suffix 832.
Same four rods with a fresh load of braid. After hundreds of casts only one required a cut out and that may have been operator error. I find that the 832 will release the knot by mashing between your teeth the knot and opening up the loops.
In most cases I mash it down nice and flat and just pull the ends and it pops out clean. Ok here is the best part.. the line never degrades performance from the mashing effort.

I have tried over 8 different braids and 832 is most manageable.

Capt Mike

#7 ·
Have you tried this J-braid Capt? It's made by Daiwa and is half the price of 832. See several guys use it and have had no problems.
I've never heard of it til today. Heard of Samurai made by Daiwa which is quite pricey.
Also thanks for the tip on mashing down a wind knot and pulling it out. Never heard of that either. Will have to try that.
I just threw away a 150yd spool of 8# Tuf-line...wind knot after wind knot. Never had that problem w/ 10# power pro regular.

Thanks for everyone's inputs and keep them coming.

G
#6 ·
50 lb + regular power pro for conventional. It's a little more rope like. If packed tight and layed on level there is no dig in.

J- braid on a spinner. 40 lb or less. Nice and limp, round, and no fraying. Hardly any noise. Flies through the guides well. Works very well with Shimano's line lay and spool lip.

I have some 10 lb. Super slick on a bass spinner. The spare spool with 8 lb mono is going on soon. Don't matter what I throw it wind knots with that super slick. Could be the guides on the rod causing it....not sure.

#14 · (Edited)
Just back into town.

Yeah, I'm giving that stuff a serious look at for my fresh/lite saltwater spinning outfit.
Reviews that I read:

Pros: casts way better than anything on the market and flies off the reel
super strong
thin per #test like braid but is not braid, flouro or mono
most importantly: absolutely NO wind knots when throwing lighter lures

Cons: can only be used for spinning reels
polamar and only a couple of other knots can only be used, semi clinch don't work
mostly used for lighter line applications like 2# t0 20# max is all that's available

Fine by me; all I use is Palomar knots and uni to uni to tie to leader material
I gotta give this stuff a try. I've used Berkely products for years and usually doesn't dissapoint

#15 ·
I have been using Nanofil for several years. It will outcast any of the braids, is small diameter and very strong. I very seldom get any wind knots with it. The biggest con is it likes to belly in the wind when casting but that is not too much of a problem. Tie a double Palomar knot directly to lure, snap or swivel and an "ugly Knot" when tying to mono leaders. All that said, some guys don't like it-to each his own.

#17 · (Edited)
Text Line Drawing Diagram Map
An "Ugly Knot" is one that I got from Joe Yack who said he got if from Skip Zink and who knows where Skip got it from! Basically you take the main line and leader and lay them parallel to each other. Then form a loop in both line and leader and pass the tag ends of both line and leader through the loop four or five times, moisten and pull tight. It is about the only knot that I use for line to leader anymore. The only drawback is that it will not pass smoothly through the guides on the rod, but I seldom tie leaders that are long enough to need to be wound through the guides. The illustration shows it being used for tandem lures, for a single lure, place one end of the leader even with the end of the main line and tie the knot. Then trim the mainline and short leg of the leader. I used the tandem set up with flutter jigs and a dropper fly exclusively last summer/fall for numerous doubles on rock up to 24 inches and only had one knot failure when I mistakenly tried to lift a set of large doubles onboard by the 12 lb. Nanofil instead of grabbing the 30# leader.

#18 ·
View attachment 32810 An "Ugly Knot" is one that I got from Joe Yack who said he got if from Skip Zink and who knows where Skip got it from! Basically you take the main line and leader and lay them parallel to each other. Then form a loop in both line and leader and pass the tag ends of both line and leader through the loop four or five times, moisten and pull tight. It is about the only knot that I use for line to leader anymore. The only drawback is that it will not pass smoothly through the guides on the rod, but I seldom tie leaders that are long enough to need to be wound through the guides. The illustration shows it being used for tandem lures, for a single lure, place one end of the leader even with the end of the main line and tie the knot. Then trim the mainline and short leg of the leader. I used the tandem set up with flutter jigs and a dropper fly exclusively last summer/fall for numerous doubles on rock up to 24 inches and only had one knot failure when I mistakenly tried to lift a set of large doubles onboard by the 12 lb. Nanofil instead of grabbing the 30# leader.
Funny, I use that same knot when tying the main line to leader material(mostly flouro).
I only go thru the loop 3 times tho. Seems to work. I've landed 100# Cownose without a break. I typically use a 3' leader.

#22 ·
just spooled up w/ 8# J-braid myself on my new Sahara 1000.
Wacked a bunch of good size Hickories on my ultra lite....what a blast.

got mine on EBAY... this stuff is the bomb! Smooth as silk like PP super slick and casts as well as 832 at half the price...amazing stuff.

Just ordered 330yds of 20# and 50# for my saltwater outfits as well for the low low price of $18.99 ea.

#24 ·
Dang cyt, I'm shopping at the wrong place. Got my 330yd spools for $20-25 at dicks, but I also had a 20% off coupon, it's not my favorite store.

Where have you been catching hickories? I've been checking deer creek/Susquehanna and they're not quite there yet
Check out EBAY...a store up in Jersey...3 day delivery, no tax, free shipping. Dick's is hapless.

Back at the spot today. Caught several of the high flying aerial acrobatic critters. lota fun on ultra lite tackle.....did OK. Unfortunately a ton of dink WP mixed in eating my darts.

Guy upstream wacked em....every cast he was hooked up. I'm still a novice on these fish. Need to find me better darts. Mine kinda suck.
Sorry dude, can't give up the spot...somewhere on the Choptank. Heard the water is all messed up on the lower Susky and Deer Creek.

#25 ·
I had spooled up one of my rods with J-Braid late last summer but did not get a chance to use it all that much. From what little use I had it seemed good. I used it on the flats and for white perch in the river yesterday. I like it very well, no wind knots but time will tell once the coating gets a little age and wear and tear. It casts well but not as good as Nanofil. I am a line watcher and like the chartreuse color because I can see hits that are never felt on the rod.

#26 ·
CYT- thanks for the tip, I usually check the internet when I don't have a good coupon, haven't looked at eBay though. Next time. Didn't want you to burn the spot, just making sure things didn't change tremendously on the susky in the 48 hours since i fished it

Jerry-how'd you do on white perch? I heard people were piling them up near the mouth of deer creek

#28 ·
Good luck jerry. I might give it a try tomorrow. I was planning on going to sandy point but from what I've heard the conditions just aren't right for the rockfish right now. And I'd rather stay local and mess with some white perch than make the drive. I'll wait until it's a little warmer and there's more stuff to catch down there

#30 ·
Good luck if you go. I have not heard of any WP being caught from shore but there may be some available out in front of the Lapidum landing. I doubt they are up around the old mill yet. I will be up river looking for shad tomorrow so if the perch are there, I will probably find them. I'll update tomorrow evening.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.