Oak Island Pier

Thread: Oak Island Pier

Oak Island Pier

Heard an update on the pier. Hopefully a new wooden pier will be up by spring of 2018, only thing to do is wait and see how it goes

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Good to hear, I usually fish Ocean Crest Pier but nice to have more than one....

Quote Originally Posted by NC KingFisher View Post
    Heard an update on the pier. Hopefully a new wooden pier will be up by spring of 2018, only thing to do is wait and see how it goes
    This is to replace the existing Oak Island Pier, right ? Will it be in the same location? Are they going to demolish the old pier first?

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

I am not sure about all that, if they do that is alot to do in a year. I do know the pier house and restraunt will still be open

Sounds like they are going to demolish and rebuild:

The Town of Oak Island sent a news release today, stating they understand how important the Oak Island Pier is to the community. Their first priority is safety, so they closed the Fishing Pier until further notice. The restaurant and tackle shop will remain open.

As Mayor Cin Brochure told us last week, they are actively looking for grants and any other possible funding the town can use to rebuild the pier.

The town says they have already started the CAMA application process for a new pier.

The town say the pier will not be open for the summer and fall seasons, but their goal is to have a new timber pier completed by the spring of 2018.

Another source confirming: The new pier is set for completion by spring 2018. The existing pier will be dismantled in sections, and the new pier will be built piece-by-piece as the old one is taken down.

Hopefully they will bring back the 2 bait tanks and a big king T

Last edited by PierRat4Life; 05-18-2017 at 03:47 PM.

Sounds like the lawyers and insurance companies are the only ones winning, as usual.

When I was down about a month ago if you looked closely you could see it swaying with the tide.

Most recent info I can find on the pier reconstruction.

www.oakislandnc.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/BOA1_052317.pdf

BUDGET ORDINANCE AMENDMENT

FISCAL YEAR 2016 - 2017

BE IT ORDAINED by the Town Council of the Town of Oak Island, North Carolina, in Council assembled, May 23, 2017, that the following Budget Ordinance Amendment be adopted for the purpose of transferring funds from Accommodations Fund Balance for the payment of Engineering Services incurred at this time in connection with the rebuilding of the Oak Island Pier a cost of $175,000. This Funds were originally budgeted in Reserve in Fund Balance and Reserve for Pier Repairs.

I. Accommodations Fund

Budget Budget As

Amendment Amended

A. Expenditures Authorized
    Transfer to Rebuild Fund 45-745-9635 $ 175,000 $ 175,000
    Reserve for Fund Balance 45-745-9700 $(130,000) $ 52,147
    Reserve for Pier Repairs 45-745-9711 $ (45,000) $ 0

II Pier Rebuilding Fund

B. Revenue Authorized
    Transfer from Accommodations 48-300-3700 $ 175,000 $ 175,000

C. Expenditures Authorized
    Engineering Services 48-748-6100 $ 175,000 $ 175.000

Adopted this the 23rd day of May, 2017

Attest:
    Lisa P. Stites, Town Clerk
    Cin Brochure, Mayor

Glad that they didn't waste any time to get that going,

It looks like the Town has only allocated $175,000. I don't think you can completely rebuild a 990 ft. pier for that amount of money.

Quote Originally Posted by PierRat4Life View Post
    It looks like the Town has only allocated $175,000. I don't think you can completely rebuild a 990 ft. pier for that amount of money.
    Add a zero to that and might get a short pier these days.
    Apache Pier in Myrtle is spending more to repair and rebuild their end than what it cost to build in 1993....

http://stateportpilot.com/news/artic...d58dbc0a2.html

FEMA has allocated some money for a rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by kraus View Post
    http://stateportpilot.com/news/artic...d58dbc0a2.html

FEMA has allocated some money for a rebuild
    Kraus,

I just read this part from your link. I sure hope it doesn't include "beach renourishment", too, or fishing is gone for 5 years or longer. I know they're talking about making a "sand dune", BUT that last term "long-term infusion of sand", worries me - Quoted below this.

"Sand money

Kelly also announced that FEMA has agreed to pay $5.2-million for emergency sand placement on the beach. Officials originally expected to spend $3.2-million on the work, which involves using trucks and bulldozers to build a dune about six feet tall along most of the strand.

Wayne’s Backhoe Service and subcontractors worked diligently for about three weeks in April, after the town secured environmental permits and easements. They placed sand in the areas of SE 58th Street and approximately 20 blocks to the west before having to stop for the beginning of sea turtle nesting season in May.

Work will resume sometime this winter. Kelly said FEMA had agreed to pay for sand that was lost between the post-storm survey and the time that placement actually started.

This winter, the town also hopes to piggyback with the Wilmington Harbor maintenance project to obtain sand dredged from the shipping channel. While Oak Island has not made a firm commitment, the town has tentatively offered to spend up to $3-million on the work, which would benefit the eastern end from around the pier to as far west as SE 54th Street.

Meanwhile, town officials and their financial consultants are continuing to study ways to use special assessments to help pay for a massive, long-term infusion of sand."

Stupidity....the ocean is taking that first row of houses at some point.

I had seriously looked at some houses again after selling some other property. With the taxes proposed I can rent any time I like....and leave for far less. In my opinion its not worth it any more to own a house there. Plus the fishing has SUCKED...

I will just wait till the next economic burn down......tale a 100K off anything there then.....