Gear: Treble Hooks for Surf Shark Fishing???????

Thread: Treble Hooks for Surf Shark Fishing???????

Treble Hooks for Surf Shark Fishing???????

Well I saw something sad yesterday.

There was some Du.. A.. fishing down from me and he was using some sort of boat type shark rig and throwing it off the beach.

It was not going more than 40 yards because it was 4 ft from the sinker to the bait but he ended up catching a nice drum 40 plus inches.

The people that walked down the beach told me he had a big treble hook and it was gut hooked and most like likely yanked it out of the drum to get his hook back.

I watched him make a few half heart attempts to get the fish back in the water but half and hour later I see a big white belly on top of the swells just off the beach.

But he was cool he is a shark fishermen! sad

Idiots come in all makes and sizes. Sure shark fisherman tend to attract those adrenaline nuts (one reason I try and do it on the DL), but you see it with anytype of fishing really. Most aren't really "fisherman" at all. Just tourists that heard there were sharks, and then proceed to wind some popwerpro on their catfish gear to catch them. There were guys like that at Topsail one time. They left their gear out overnight and certainly drowned a couple fish. They were not fisherman though.
    There is no business with the tackle available today to ever have a treble hook with live bait.
    I see some of the shark rigs that guys use that have multiple hooks on them, but they cannot hook a drum with that.
    Just sounds like someone who has not moved into this century in terms of gear.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Why would you want to fight a treble hook and a powerful mouth full of teeth....

I have no idea why you would have a treble for shark fishing. Gotta love the idiots that make us look bad

Everyone wants to be a badass and go shark fishing nowadays. Seems once a month we have some new guy posting about how and where and what gear to use for sharks.

+1 and for what? If they are lucky enough to get one on the beach, they arent going to take it home and eat it. All they have done is stress the critter out an probably caused its death and for what.... a hero shot?

Am I missing something or is Shark fishing merely for the sport? To each his own, just wondering. I understand must be one heck a of a rush landing a biggey, then what?

I'll harvest 6ft black tips all day long. The rest is for fun

Quote Originally Posted by NC KingFisher View Post
    I'll harvest 6ft black tips all day long. The rest is for fun
    When you say harvest, do you mean they end up in the cooler? If so briefly what is clean/prep process and how do you cook'em? How is the taste/flavor, please don't say just like chikken.

Cut them down to the back bone in 1in to 1.5 in this communication steaks, then go back up with a knife. Similar to deer backstraps or cleaning a gar. For BTs, sharpnose get filleted. Then a good wash, and straight on ice. When I get home, into a pan of buttermilk then either house autry and grease or olive oil/Italian dressing and the grill if I'm not freezing it. Good firm meat, alot better than chicken or most fish. I would rather eat shark than king mackerel.

way better than chicken, mako's are to die for!
    js