Pier and Surf Forum banner

COBIA News..

Question: 
2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Drumdum 
#1 ·
This just came across My desk.. Does this pertain to "State Waters" as well re: Piers?

Atlantic Cobia (Georgia through New York)

Recreational Fishing Season is Closed in Federal Waters

WHAT/WHEN:

Recreational harvest of Atlantic migratory group cobia (from Georgia through New York) closed at 12:01 a.m. on January 24, 2017, in federal waters. Recreational harvest of cobia will remain closed until January 1, 2018.
Read the full Doc Here---> http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/fishery_bulletins/2017/004/index.html

#3 ·
How can the recreational harvest of 2016 have possibly exceeded the allowable catch limit when the federal season closed in June and the states instituded drastic changes in their size and catch limits?

#4 ·
How is it determined that more than double the targeted poundage was caught especially since it shows rec fishing so much higher than com fishing. What am I missing?

Another tidbit I picked out was that even though this is regulation for fed water the state water catches count against the federal limits. ( I realize it's the same fish don't make fun it's their distinction not mine)

I saw more cobia this past summer off the piers than ever before....end "ever" is starting to cover a long time for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.