Pier and Surf Forum banner

Murrells Inlet

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  DylanKremer 
#1 ·
Hey guys, i'm planning on taking the yak out into the marsh this weekend. Has anyone been catching since the cold-spell? Any suggestions?

#4 ·
I plan on driving down from VA and yakking the marsh as well. PM me if you want to join up.

I don't bother keeping live bait in the kayak- another equipment that effects my paddling, plus $$$. Honestly, fresh dead shrimp works just as well- we did this twice at the jetty from an actual boat and fish had no preference. Depth presentation with the shrimp mattered far more than its liveliness/dead.

Shrimp are going to be mostly if not entirely gone from the marsh; fish will probably hit anything with the hint of shrimp.
I assume the primary baitfish will be bay anchovies, mud minnows, and maybe some lingering finger mullet .

My game plan so far is to do the same things I did, but focus more on casting and less trolling. I will still troll a soft plastic paddletail and a Mirrolure from Point A to Point B. I will focus on fishing the low water for obvious reasons. I really want to explore the creeks near the oyster reefs. If dolphins are present in the main creek, I will abandon fishing it and just further up into the creeks. Starting lure line-up: Pink 52MR, Z-man paddletail, Paul Brown Corky (this was designed as a cold water trophy trout lure along the Gulf Coast).

When the water gets higher, I may start blind casting towards the grass lines near mud flats- reds may work through these areas in small schools.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.