Big cats in the James - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big cats in the James

Chicken nuggets...with or without sauce? Tried hot dog and it worked...once. Liver is too much trouble. Best bait I ever used was menhaden caught that morning and cut up right away. Tried different rigs but the wire double bottom rig works fine.

I fished from my kayak at Wilcox wharf Saturday for about 4-1/2 hours. I spent the 1st hour or so exploring holes & drop offs with my fish finder. I didn't see any big marks then so I fished where I was marking smaller fish and had plenty of action from nibblers and eating size fish around 16". There were lots of large gar busting the top of the water all afternoon but I only had rods and tackle set up for bottom fishing. Might have been fun to hook into one of those, because I's say they were 26" to 30" long. On the paddle back in, I did see some pretty decent marks on the sonar in a couple spots but didn't have the time to stop and drop a line. I only had cut fresh mullet and live eels for bait. Next time I'll try some frozen shad or menhaden. I took a cast net but have no idea where to try to net shad. I didn't see any splashing around or groups of baitfish on the fish finder except for a couple schools on the channel edge where it was too deep. I kept 4 of the small ones and fried them up so it was a pretty good trip in my book.
    Last edited by rwh; 01-23-2017 at 08:35 AM.

Double post

4. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

rwh,
    What did you catch...cats?

Quote Originally Posted by Fish'n Phil View Post
    rwh,
    What did you catch...cats?
    Yep, all blue cats. There were a few guys fishing from the small pier there and they were catching a few small ones as well. That was my first time fishing that area but I'll get back there to try it again soon. Seems like a good place.

Quote Originally Posted by rwh View Post
    Yep, all blue cats. There were a few guys fishing from the small pier there and they were catching a few small ones as well. That was my first time fishing that area but I'll get back there to try it again soon. Seems like a good place.
    Have u ever got in to a big one from the yak? Bet it would be a blast.

I haven't yet, but I will try this year. I usually just try for eating size, because they are one of my favorites to eat. I do think it would be fun to get a big one.

I've fished Denbigh park the past few springs for blue cats, and I've found that shrimp and night-crawlers work the best. When fishing on the Colonial Parkway by College Creek (which I've done once), I noticed that chicken livers worked well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12