Surf Fishing Weight Question - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 41 of 41

Thread: Surf Fishing Weight Question

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Mid NC
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by spydermn View Post
    Bosco - it is a nice blank and if you like it that much have it rebuilt for spinning. all that is needed are new guides, reel seat and handles. Depending on where you are in NC there is probably someone close to you that builds customs that could give you a quote to do it. I have taken a couple off the shelf rods and customized them to my liking if I like the blank. One I can think of off the top of my head is a Ocean Master 12' spinning that i had Chuck P. put a different reel seat on because the composite one was flexing to much. at the same time he moved the seat so I could cast it better. He used to be in this page a bit, but I am not sure he still is much but I can get you his info if you want to go that route. Also dont forget that the rod building show is coming up in Feb in Winston Salem. http://www.icrbe.com/
    I am gonna look there for a custom heaver this year. If I don't find one I like more than the CCP then Tommy is getting an order from me.
    It is already a spinning rod, so I would only need to have guides changed. The guides, especially first guide, are small. contacted St. Croix, they explained that even though thisMojo is a spinning rod it is designed for braid line. I got a Blue yonder for Christmas so i am thinking of using it. The first guide is smaller than some of the casting rods that I have.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Queen City, NC
    Posts
    895
    Its a micro guide setup. Use it, you will love it

    I have a st. Croix Triumph about the same size and if I am going to bring just ONE rod with me it is that rod with a 3500 shimano baitrunner, 15# mono and some 20# floro. It is a great setup for everything from dead stick to casting metal...so long as your arm can hack it! It gets heavy to throw metal or jigs but works great!

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Mid NC
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by spydermn View Post
    Its a micro guide setup. Use it, you will love it

    I have a st. Croix Triumph about the same size and if I am going to bring just ONE rod with me it is that rod with a 3500 shimano baitrunner, 15# mono and some 20# floro. It is a great setup for everything from dead stick to casting metal...so long as your arm can hack it! It gets heavy to throw metal or jigs but works great!
    St. Croix said the Triumph and one other rod, Avid, have larger eyed guides that work well with mono on the MOJO mono tends to bird nest at first guide because on mono coiling with spinner reel. That is why I was going to use a casting reel, Blue Yonder

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Mid NC
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by spydermn View Post
    Its a micro guide setup. Use it, you will love it

    I have a st. Croix Triumph about the same size and if I am going to bring just ONE rod with me it is that rod with a 3500 shimano baitrunner, 15# mono and some 20# floro. It is a great setup for everything from dead stick to casting metal...so long as your arm can hack it! It gets heavy to throw metal or jigs but works great!
    Spy, check pm

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in Nash County NC
    Posts
    934
    First off if the mojo is set up for spinning then most likely you will be going against the spline that runs down the length of the rod if you go conventional. I know that this is going to confuse you a bit ... No need to change out the guide either.. Again the rod is set up for spinning from the factory.. By the time you have the work done you will have more $ in the rod than what it's actually worth.

    Buy a conventional surfcasting rod for the reels you mentioned Bosco. If you don't want to spend a great deal of $ right now I suggest looking at the Penn Battalion XH 12 BATSF2550C12, Ocean Master 12' 3-6 oz 12,(because it's lighter than the 6-12 and throws 8nBait just fine) , or the Tsunami Trophy 12' XH. These rods will get you started on the right track and will do just fine.

    There is a guy on eBay selling built Rainshadow 1508 and 1509s pretty cheap usually in the low 200.00 range..Keep your eye on the Marketplace section of this forum and something will pop up..

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Marion, NC
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBig2na View Post
    There is a guy on eBay selling built Rainshadow 1508 and 1509s pretty cheap usually in the low 200.00 range.
    Be aware that these are the older SU15XX blanks...not a 50-50 split. That SU1509 has been responsible for putting about eighteen jillion big fish on the beach. Too bad Rainshadow got out of the heaver business. I absolutely love my SUR1508s (drum) and SUR1506s (stripers). I also have one SUR1505 which I use for a bait rod.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Mid NC
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBig2na View Post
    First off if the mojo is set up for spinning then most likely you will be going against the spline that runs down the length of the rod if you go conventional. I know that this is going to confuse you a bit ... No need to change out the guide either.. Again the rod is set up for spinning from the factory.. By the time you have the work done you will have more $ in the rod than what it's actually worth.

    Buy a conventional surfcasting rod for the reels you mentioned Bosco. If you don't want to spend a great deal of $ right now I suggest looking at the Penn Battalion XH 12 BATSF2550C12, Ocean Master 12' 3-6 oz 12,(because it's lighter than the 6-12 and throws 8nBait just fine) , or the Tsunami Trophy 12' XH. These rods will get you started on the right track and will do just fine.

    There is a guy on eBay selling built Rainshadow 1508 and 1509s pretty cheap usually in the low 200.00 range..Keep your eye on the Marketplace section of this forum and something will pop up..
    Quick and simple..what is the spline that you are referring to? I do know that the first guide, nearest the reel, is reversed so that the guide stabilizers point towards the rod tip to help prevent line, mainly mono, from 'nesting' there. I found the receipt last night so I think I am going to return the rod this weekend, problem solved, hate it though it just feels good in your hands. I am leaning towards the Battalion, I have a couple of spinners, really like them and now problems yet. Again, thanks for your help.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    greensboro, nc
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by spydermn View Post
    Bosco - it is a nice blank and if you like it that much have it rebuilt for spinning. all that is needed are new guides, reel seat and handles. Depending on where you are in NC there is probably someone close to you that builds customs that could give you a quote to do it. I have taken a couple off the shelf rods and customized them to my liking if I like the blank. One I can think of off the top of my head is a Ocean Master 12' spinning that i had Chuck P. put a different reel seat on because the composite one was flexing to much. at the same time he moved the seat so I could cast it better. He used to be in this page a bit, but I am not sure he still is much but I can get you his info if you want to go that route. Also dont forget that the rod building show is coming up in Feb in Winston Salem. http://www.icrbe.com/
    I am gonna look there for a custom heaver this year. If I don't find one I like more than the CCP then Tommy is getting an order from me.
    Ryan White will be giving a seminar on building surf rods at the rod building expo. Be a good one to sit in on.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    308
    The spine is the side of the rod that flexs the least, Think of it this way,Stand up and bend backwards, now bend forward, when you bent forward you formed a arch,you can't bend that much to the rear. A Fishing Rod bends the same way.It has a Spine . To find it take the Rod Blank and from the top push down on it ,it will arch with the spine out mark it with a marker.
    So now that you know where it is you can see were you reel seat and guides will go,For a Spinner inside the arch, Conventional along the spine.So if you put a Spinning Reel on a Conventional it will arch against the spine and be to stiff and stressful , vice versa for a Spinner.

    I hope I got that correct, it's been a bit since it was explained to me

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Mid NC
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Jollymon View Post
    The spine is the side of the rod that flexs the least, Think of it this way,Stand up and bend backwards, now bend forward, when you bent forward you formed a arch,you can't bend that much to the rear. A Fishing Rod bends the same way.It has a Spine . To find it take the Rod Blank and from the top push down on it ,it will arch with the spine out mark it with a marker.
    So now that you know where it is you can see were you reel seat and guides will go,For a Spinner inside the arch, Conventional along the spine.So if you put a Spinning Reel on a Conventional it will arch against the spine and be to stiff and stressful , vice versa for a Spinner.

    I hope I got that correct, it's been a bit since it was explained to me
    Dang just keep learning, Thanks So if I have a spinning rod,standing on the beach facing the water, with rod level parallel to the water surface..should the rod bend easier towards the water or sky?

  11. #36
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    Dang just keep learning, Thanks So if I have a spinning rod,standing on the beach facing the water, with rod level parallel to the water surface..should the rod bend easier towards the water or sky?
    Towards the water

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Manning, SC (Formerly MD)
    Posts
    821
    One thing I didn't see mentioned is the type of weight used for the bottom type. Use a heavy enough weight, regardless of type & it's going to hold bottom. How much weight that will be will be dictated by the conditions as has been mentioned.

    However, the type of bottom, hard or soft can help reduce the amount of weight if the proper type of weight is used. I think many just go with what they have & the heaviest they have that they know will hold bottom where they're fishing. There are many types of weights/sinkers and each type has an intended use. Some are better on hard bottoms than others. Selecting the correct type for the location can certainly help with how much weight is actually needed. Still, it's usually not going to be a great difference, an ounce or two, but that can make a difference with rod selection, particularly for anglers who have limited choices. Just as a simplified example, if an 8 oz pyramid style sinker will hold bottom, it may be that a 6 oz claw style for the same rig may hold just as well, so a person who doesn't have the rod that can handle 8 oz, but does have a rod for 6 oz, can still fish effectively, provided of course that weight can be cast to an area that holds fish. As said, lots of variables to consider.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Stuck At Work
    Posts
    5,273
    I for one always carry some lower weights. When conditions allow I always fish a moving weight in the slew. Those who know, know what the result is...

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Queen City, NC
    Posts
    895
    Quote Originally Posted by AbuMike View Post
    I for one always carry some lower weights. When conditions allow I always fish a moving weight in the slew. Those who know, know what the result is...

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Queen City, NC
    Posts
    895
    Steve and Tuna put to words what I failed to about the spine. I need to stop typing in such a rush. What I was trying to say is that you can turn a spinning rod into a casting rod but you will usually need different guides and to have it re-wrapped for the spine. This is also why you should "test" premade rods as many of the cheaper rods that are wrapped en-mass the builder does not care about the spine. They just slap the guides on and move to the next one.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    little river sc
    Posts
    105
    I get the spine and guide placement in relation to the spine when talking about spinning and boat rods.
    Seems to me if you are talking conventional surf casting rods you would want the guides on the opposite side
    of the blank but the spine facing the same way for both spinning and conventional casing rods.
    putting the soft spine facing down flexes more and aids casting.
    putting the hard spine down resists flex and aids lifting (boat rod)
    What am i missing. Have i got it wrong ?

    Excuse me. After re-reading some i think thats what jollymon said.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •