Question: Dogfish set-up for pier in winter - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dogfish set-up for pier in winter

Dogfish Set up?
    Didn't need one yesterday!

Was at the The Point with hopes of a Christmas time Drum yesterday. The SW wind and warm temperatures had me thinking it could be done. One 40" was caught, but not by any of the group I was with.
    The dogfish were so thick you could pluck them out of the water with your bare hands and throw them up on the beach. Lots of sandbar sharks too....
    Don't go through the "narrows" and think you can come back through on either side of high tide either.

12-28-16- Woof Woof

Dogfish filled up Secret hole 800 yards South of Frisco Pier. I talked to a Netter yesterday who was going after them as soon as they finally make it here...They are here...

Instant hit as soon as the bait hit the water, line would go slack and it was pliers time.

Saw a few Whales about one mile out.

Water was real warm and the Doggies were not in the Secret Hole yesterday afternoon when it was blowing hard enough to sandblast everything not covered in water.

Need a hard rain to wash off my Grand Cherokee.

Need the Netters and the Sandbar Sharks to go to work on the Doggies..

Not sure what Beach fishing move can be made at this time water too ugly for Trout, Puppy Drum still in the Sound and now Woof Woof has come to town..

Water is really too warm for Woof Woof this morning so the Drum have to be somewhere close.

Not sure what move for the evening's fishing may chuck a bait or two into the Sound as the wind is blowing offshore at the moment in Frisco.
    Last edited by Garboman; 12-28-2016 at 11:55 AM.

So the Woof Woofs were everywhere, Kinda like Santa Claus. A fortune to me be made on Doggies right now I guess. I hate I missed Garbo and probably should have went further south to Frisco. Scope out that "secret spot" he's been talking about.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	30113
    I had to run my truck through the Carwash twice.. Today....Sand and salt everywhere on it and in it. Wind is supposed to go back SW tomorrow and rain, but I plan on being in a cushy box-stand somewhere waiting for a deer. I'm done with Drum until April...
    I really mean it this time...

4. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Garboman View Post
    I would target them with a light trout rod, perhaps then they will put up a good showing.

Governor of North Carolina asked me to drop by and fish his pier at Whalebone Junction last weekend.

Pretty much had the entire pier to myself, I was being guarded by a Security Guard, had a fine lady make me coffee in the gift shop, and another fine lady sold me my very first Ticket to fish Jennettes. A couple other Hotties were working up in the administration section. All in all the Governor had six or so people dedicated to making sure old Garbo had a good day. This Pier is very nice, I will show up come September and do some Drum Fishing. Plenty of room for Beach Pendulum which after a week or so, I have my timing back. I am smoking it out there with full extension of the left arm....

Ended up with an inshore Trash Slam, 2 Spiny Dog Sharks and 1 Winter Skate which is different from the Clear Nose Skate in that Winter Skate has pokies on his nose and is evil.

All three of these critters did their best to try and hurt Garbo.

Typically Garbo will take a Skate or Ray and hold him by the nose upside down on the railing to remove the Drum Hook. The Winter Skate tried to poke me several times so when I released him (Unhurt of course) The Skate seemed to thud against the Concrete lip on the end of the Tee and then Splashed bad when he hit the water.... Not sure why but this felt good to me inside, just goes to show you, mess with Garbo and something bad is likely to happen.
    My ultimate dream world would be to have my own pier. Whatch out,..... Bearings are singing!!! Love boats but can't truly heave off one

Jennettes is having a Dogfish Tournament tomorrow.

Garbo netted half a bucket of Cobs at the secret spot and I think DD is going to attend the tournament.

DD will have at his disposal some brined Cobs and he should be able to at least come in first in this Tournament

Garbo will be Drum fishing somewhere either at the Point or in Frisco.

Caught a Bluefish this evening so the water is warm enough for Drum still. In fact the Bluefish were all over my Drum bait. I was surprised to see the Bluefish flopping on my 10/0 Gami.

Tested the Truth Reel out this morning. It was loaded with Ryan's Super Braid. The name of the nine strand Braid is EXPENSIVE as in $.20 per yard.

I will have to admit that the straight 80 pound braid was bombing out a 5 ounce Stingsilver with no problem and was smooth. I may have to switch to Ryan's Braid when fishing the Point in the daytime, as a conversation starter.... you cannot see this braid at night.

Backed off everything on that Truth and it still was under control and not a lot of fluff.

Sorry you Jennettes Pilgrims I will not be attending your Tournament, I will be trying for the 1st Drum of 2017.

What does second place pay in the Dogfish Tournament anyway? In case the Dogfish have a taste for frozen Squid or frozen finger mullets instead of real fine Hatteras Mullet. Would like some redemption for that Kinnakeeter who came up short in the Billy Sydnor Memorial Tournament.

By the way Nick is the MAN for 2016. Second time in the last few years so it is not by coincidence....59 Citations...
    Last edited by Garboman; 12-31-2016 at 06:25 PM.

good luck on that 2017 drum..crazy how warm the water is

Drum Tournament is NOT Sponsored by the pier..

Not really open to the public Garbo more about the regular guys who fish the pier throughout the year and a Good Time..

I'm cooking for the tournament, sausage and ham rolls for breakfast and black eyed peas and ham hocks for later. Most everyone is bringing something.
    Not sure about second place, a single shark won it last year.. Paid 225. 00 it was the only thing caught.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBig2na View Post
    Drum Tournament is NOT Sponsored by the pier..

Not really open to the public Garbo more about the regular guys who fish the pier throughout the year and a Good Time..

I'm cooking for the tournament, sausage and ham rolls for breakfast and black eyed peas and ham hocks for later. Most everyone is bringing something.
    Not sure about second place, a single shark won it last year.. Paid 225. 00 it was the only thing caught.
    I am on my last Busch here in Frisco. They were tasting pretty good and six of them went down real real quick.....too quick.....I am not really open to the public at this moment either.....State Sponsored or not you Jennettes fellas would have a hard time competing with Garbo and twenty pounds of brined Cobs....I have had a month of casting practice and there are only a few that will be out further than me at this time......Which includes exactly Zero Jennettes Regulars.....

One side of me...Evil Garbo wants to kick the Kelly's Bouncers ass for Old Lang Sang sake and have the Nags Head Police Department drop me off in the A.M. to eat a few of your biscuits.

The other nice fella Fishing Garbo wants to catch the first Drum of 2017 and get out in front and be the MAN for 2017.....its too close to call at this time..

I should give my car keys to Tater and get that first 2017 Citation......

If you can get 1st prize up to $500 I may stowaway in DD's Suburban...or I may be diverted in Manteo......and spend 2017 January in Prison...
    Last edited by Garboman; 12-31-2016 at 08:42 PM.

I am on my last Busch here in Frisco. They were tasting pretty good and six of them went down real real quick.....too quick.....I am not really open to the public at this moment either.....State Sponsored or not you Jennettes fellas would have a hard time competing with Garbo and twenty pounds of brined Cobs.
    We had some nice brined cobblers and some nice fresh fatbacks last Tuesday , the Sharks loved them.

I have had a month of casting practice and there are only a few that will be out further than me at this time......Which includes exactly Zero Jennettes Regulars.....
    Grasshopper has been working on his Kung Fu

One side of me...Evil Garbo wants to kick the Kelly's Bouncers ass for Old Lang Sang sake and have the Nags Head Police Department drop me off in the A.M. to eat a few of your biscuits.
    Bring Bush Light if you come
    We can work with the Evil Garbo

Bring Bush Light if you come
    We can work with the Evil Garbo

Evil Garbo stayed in like a good Garbo and went fishing at the Secret Hole 800 yards South of Frisco Pier.

On shore wind fell out at Frisco and the cold Sound water influenced a temperature drop in both the air and water.

Got picked a few times and other times the killer bait sat untouched for an hour.

Things are supposed to improve Monday Tuesday.

I am expecting DD and Tater to come home with the Woof Woof Trophy and big bucks from the wallets of the Jennettes Crew....Leftover Biscuits and Beans would also be most welcome as the Restaurants have pretty much all closed for the Winter here at the end of the world.

Had to re-up on another 12 pack of regular Busch...Evil Garbo does not do Busch Light.

Going to Mag an Avet this afternoon and test it out later in the week.

So is Garbo back on the Island for good and given up the fast city lifestyle up north,

Quote Originally Posted by Jollymon View Post
    So is Garbo back on the Island for good and given up the fast city lifestyle up north,
    City lifestyle is at odds for Drum fishing trip.

Still have brined Cobs on ice so Fishing Trip continues and it is warm and raining hard today. if the rain lets up...it is on at Secret Spot 800 yards South of Frisco Pier.

Who won the Tournament?

City lifestyle is at odds for Drum fishing trip.

Still have brined Cobs on ice so Fishing Trip continues and it is warm and raining hard today. if the rain lets up...it is on at Secret Spot 800 yards South of Frisco Pier.

Who won the Tournament?
    Rutgers is screwed up this morning.

Yesterday the cold water pocket at Frisco pier was confirmed by me.

Warm water should on the beach right now at Secret Spot.

If work does not get in the way, I am getting the Grundens out and fishing hard for the first Drum of 2017 and get out front in the MAN 2017 Standings. Afternoon will have low tide and deep water over the bar will be in range of my cast.
    Andy Pat is already out in front and I intend to do my part...I did see some fellas getting Black Drum at Frisco Pier fish attractant installation..

Grass....Grass and not the smoking kind, the Secret Spot 800 yards South of Frisco Pier was full of grass and after about ten minutes a drum bait line needed to get trimmed.

Saw four funnel clouds forming offshore, none turned into a Water Spout but one cloud in particular was really trying its best to go Tornado on me.

My freshly Magged Avet is now bombing a Stingsilver out with a 1509. Good thing because I had a difficult time gluing the magnets. Need a pair of chopsticks and all I had were pliers....sloppy job on my part, but the Mags work like a charm, even had to remove one as it was over magged. It reminds me of a Penn International as it is a Gold anodized baby Avet.

It will be part of a future story when I bow up to a Drum and have to lever down all the way to max drag to get the beast to the beach or to the railing....excuse me but I have to lever down and eat dinner.

This morning Garbo was the 1st Drum fisherman on Hatteras Island to cast the new Century T100 Eliminator. I may be the first person in the USA as it is a new blank from Century. It is the most expensive blank in the Century lineup, so new the price has not been finalized between Ryan White and Century.

Slim profile, 15 feet in length, very light, feels similar to me anyway of casting a normal 13'6" Heaver. About the same weight as the Century Tip Tornado 13', T100 has a slightly slimmer profile than the Tip Tornado.

Flat out smoked out a seven ounce sinker with a beach pendulum out behind Ryan's Shop in the Sound. Cannot hear the sinker hit the water, casting into a brisk onshore wind, with no wind it must be downright bad.....ss.

A pair of them are going to set me back a pretty penny or actually a fat stack of Ben Franklins but I think in the end I will have the best Drum Rod in the World. I may not need it, I may not deserve it, but I am going to get it.....

In talking with Ryan White who owns the subject of this mini-thread hi-jack T100 at this time, and it will be with him in Raleigh this weekend at the Fishing Conference, I have decided that Century is at the top of the list and there is Century and then there are the rest...

Fished the 13' Century Tip Tornado at the Secret Frisco Fishing Hole this afternoon side by side with one of the ultra heavy 1509 All Star that has caught its fair share of Sharks and Big Drum and the Century smoked the All Star which had the Avet on it, the Century had a well broken in SL30SH on it and it made that reel hum.....Cob head went out of sight beyond the outer bar. It may actually have been the farthest I have ever cast a Drum bait and I have gotten off a few extraordinary casts especially when I was ten years younger and had more muscle mass...

I feel like a Crack Addict It is a great rod for both the planks and for holding on the beach. Perfect for 7-8 ounces and bait, may be a little long and limber if 10 ounces are needed but that is what the ultra heavy 1509's are for..

No Scientific study done, just put the heat to it and watch that sinker fly.......
    Last edited by Garboman; 01-04-2017 at 06:29 PM.

Frisco Pier 1-5-17

Current finally started from the North and bowed up to big Sharks, luckily they were coming unbuttoned before they got too close to the beach. Each time I thought I had him on after I felt weight on the hookset....each time the Drum turned Grey and Smooth....and large...could see them thrashing in the Surf...Big Boys...6-7 feet long...Sandbars...I would not be wading out these days....

One Spiney and a lot a pickers probably Bluefish. Cob heads lasted a little while, body sections lasted a minute or two before being eaten.

Big Storm coming this way Friday evening so its going to be tomorrow morning and no fishing for a while.

Chucking the Century Tip Tornado with a SL30SH on it and it is nice, I like it more and more every time I fish it. I like it more than a lot of my Exe's.....

If I wake up early I will watch the Sun come up over the Atlantic and hopefully get into the Drum before the Storm pushes them offshore or Florida or wherever they get pushed to.

Have not bothered to go to the Point as I cannot stay long enough to safely traverse the narrows Have not heard of any Drum at the Point anyway...
    Last edited by Garboman; 01-05-2017 at 06:25 PM.

01-06-17

Fished Frisco Pier from 2:00 AM to 5:00 AM

At 2:00 AM the tide was running in and the wind was SW and it was 63 degrees air temp.

Big Sharks were still over the bar, got bit off on first cast.

Wind went from SW to S to W to NW and air temp dropped to 50 after a light rain.

Tide fell out at 5:00 AM and I decided to take a break after getting chilly and pickers had returned.

May have to wait until March for a Drum bite.. Sharks will have to do for now, getting back in practice.

Still have plenty of brined Cobs, may give it one more shot this afternoon before the big storm hits.

I've been waiting to hear if you found one of those Resident Drum that seem to hang around. chatted with Mrs DD a couple days ago. You're a man on a mission ! Get that first one of 2017...
    I got to use some of those pretty brined cobs last Sunday. Dogfish Loved them! Especially body chunks .. Happy to report a Local won the pot... Mr DD and Tater showed up and had a good time, and partook of the vast amount of food that was brought...We are getting ready for a little white stuff and sleet coming .. Gonna get really chilly for a few days after

Quote Originally Posted by DaBig2na View Post
    I've been waiting to hear if you found one of those Resident Drum that seem to hang around. chatted with Mrs DD a couple days ago. You're a man on a mission ! Get that first one of 2017...
    I got to use some of those pretty brined cobs last Sunday. Dogfish Loved them! Especially body chunks .. Happy to report a Local won the pot... Mr DD and Tater showed up and had a good time, and partook of the vast amount of food that was brought...We are getting ready for a little white stuff and sleet coming .. Gonna get really chilly for a few days after

Fished Secret Pier in Frisco this afternoon for Trout.

Trout few and far between, fellas were snagging Black Drum on grubs and a few Trout and Puppy Drum were in the mix. 6-7 fellas fishing, I left early as I was in shorts and wet wading...water felt like high 50's when a Rogue wave first got my shoes wet, after one hour of wet wading the temp dropped to -30 on my tootsies, so I left before dark. Frisco Dave was there I have not seen him in a few years and he had a brace of nice keeper Black Drum destined for dinner.

Water finally calmed down enough for Trout and just when the bite was picking up 4 Porpoises came into the slough right by the Secret Pier and shut the bite down. The Porpoises were perhaps twenty feet off the beach, one came right up on the beach 1st drop-off feeding on Black Drum or Trout or Puppy Drum or whatever he was chowing down on...Bite except for Black Drum on Shrimp shut down pretty much at that point. Flipper ate the Trout so no more were caught.

Thursday Night seems to have the ideal conditions for the 1st Drum of 2017 2 days of SW should have Mr. Drum back at the Point. No one has caught him/her yet and I guess I will have to get my 2017 Driving Sticker before Thursday afternoon and see if I can sneak out the Point in between tides.

My Cobs are still on the icey side in my bait cooler. May need to check Secret Cob location to re-up my stash.

May hit Secret Pier in the morning for the morning Trout bite before Flipper makes things scarce.

May bring Shotgun to fire a few warning shots across the bow of this particular Porpoise Pod who are getting a little too friendly with my fried Trout aspirations.
    Last edited by Garboman; 01-10-2017 at 04:51 PM.

Point Report 01-11-17

Woof Woof most every cast. All full grown. Not a Netter in sight. My Cobs are still in good shape and firm and bloody even after getting frozen over the Weekend Storm.

As Darkness was falling the Woof Woof stopped biting, no doubt the Big Boys were moving in.

Tide had turned and was coming in, so I took off so as not to get trapped at the Narrows.

70 Degrees here at 3:00 PM was fishing the Point in my shorts and a t-shirt.

I am thinking about importing a genuine Fish and Chips cook from England so I can try one of these Woof Woofs done the "Old Country" Way.

One other local fisherman fishing for sea mullet, only Garbo fishing for Woof Woof.

Needless to say, I was out casting all the competition which consisted of a Gull, a Walker/Camera Man and a Woman looking for shells. I was getting real good distance with full extension on my arms and pendulum. I found out Jeremy Schrader who posts on the Distance Casting Forum helped design the Century Tip Tornado which is one of the Sticks I am using for Drum. Jeremy did an excellent job, as the Tip Tornado smokes it on out there...

Wind laid down but there was still a decent current from the South, just hard to get by the Dog Pound...I will try tomorrow.
    Last edited by Garboman; 01-11-2017 at 05:54 PM.

I'm ready to see who is going to get the running start on being THE MAN for 2017.......

Love these daily reports

Could TODAY be the Day for Garbo, or will it be tomorrow.. Warm Air temps SW wind forecasted and warm water is coming..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	30538Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	30538

Dogfish...Food, Bait or Sport ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    Dogfish...Food, Bait or Sport ?
    To some all the above

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast