Pier and Surf Forum banner

Beach fishing in big waves

7K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Twinkies 
#1 ·
Fishing in DE Beach: I may need a longer pole and higher rod holder. I was excited to finally start coastal fishing but was a lot tougher than i expected.
The waves were too high for me to tell if there was fish or waves hitting the rod. The bait was usually gone so not sure if its falling off from the currents. Today im looking out my hotel and the waves dont seem as bad in OC. Im debating whether to try again or head out to the buckheads and piers. It was a full moon out last night but i was too exhusted to do any night fishing. They make it look so easy on the videos, now i may be in trouble for the rest of the week because i plan on heading down to Virginia Beach after this and most of the piers are closed for the season. Im stopping by CBBT on the way. This is all new to me, so I dont even know if there is anything to catch this late in the season.

#2 ·
Do not give up as it takes years get the rigging right. Cleaned hooks is normally crabs or pin fish.. Try bigger chunks and get that rod tip up nice and high. Taller sand spikes help and place your self at the highest point on the beach if possible.

If you go to VA Beach drive a bit north and find Bucks Beach and fish there..

Remember surf fishing is not about catching it is about fishing.

Capt Mike

#5 ·
Fishing in DE Beach: I may need a longer pole and higher rod holder....The waves were too high for me to tell if there was fish or waves hitting the rod.
I make all of my rod holders from HD fence post material. It is 6' long ---
http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-6-ft...y-Green-Powder-Coat-U-Post-901156HD/204331912

I use 2 stainless steel band straps to secure a 2' length of pvc to it (or buy Wally World pvc rod holders and use them)...

Last for years and works great on keeping your rod up high - with my 14" AFAW BB rod, the tip is 20' above the waves! No line slap at all...

Sandcrab

#6 · (Edited)
Lowes carries 2" X 20' schedule 40 PVC pipe for $22.40. You can get 3 6'6" rod holders from one length. That comes out to $7.47 ea. That's damn cheap for those holders. For another $1.25 you can finish the rod end with a coupling giving you a custom look rod holder.

Do I see a cottage market for these? Could be.;)

#12 ·
Thanks for the tips. I was only able to fish at the Rudee inlet, because of the 200 surfers on the beach. It was 75 degrees for acouple days and everyone was out on the beach. I caught spek trout and bluefish. There were so many crabs eating bait so i had to switch to lures. I could have caught a bushel of crabs woth fishing line. Then I headed to Sandbridge to fish off the pier. People were catching skates there.

I had them 4 foot pole holders. I need to build a higher one like you suggested but my biggest problem was that my longest poles were only 9 foot. Ill buy a beach pole next time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.