Pier and Surf Forum banner

Surf Fishing Myrtle

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  madmax 
#1 ·
I am taking a trip to Myrtle in July. I have never surf fished there. Any tips? I.E. bait, what to target and technique?

#2 ·
Check out the sticky at the top of the forum called Myrtle Beach Newbie Fishing Help. Tons of great info there. But the basic idea for beginners would be to fish a two hook bottom rig with small circle hooks and a 2 oz pyramid sinker. Use uncooked shrimp from the grocery store (not bait shrimp). Use about half a shrimp on each hook. This will give you a good shot at blue fish, whiting, and small sharks. You may also want to find a thread on here about salting your shrimp. I've found it to be effective as it allows you to keep your bait on the hook longer. Good Luck!

#3 ·
July can be pretty dead. Best to fish mornings and evenings.

Find some sand fleas and fish them very close to the beach. Black drum, spottails, Flounder, whiting and pompano are still around in July in the surf. They all love fleas.

With Shrimp that time of year you will be a pinfish magnet

#7 ·
Most of the fish I've caught at Myrtle have been just beyond the breakers or in the wash itself. If you want to target flounder specifically, put a small finger mullet on a carolina rig with a circle hook. Walk up and down the beach casting in a fan pattern and slowly retrieving. Flounder are ambush feeders. They sit on the bottom and wait for something to come by.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.