Deflate / Re-Inflate - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deflate / Re-Inflate

Quote Originally Posted by adimauro1988 View Post
    Idk a lot of the people that go on fort Fisher don't air down from who I've asked, and a tire that is 10.43" wide is deffinatly wider then all them Cherokees and 4runners even the 1500 and 2500's and most of them air down and leave a bigger rut then I would on a tire that big
    You're right, a lot of people don't air down at FF...but have you ever noticed how bumpy the ruts are on the ramp, and how the ruts smooth out the further south you head on the beach? Pretty sure this is because these people are having a hard time and decide they need to turn around and leave...or...they eventually air down because they've overheated or gotten stuck. I have 315/70r17s and I still air down to 12-14 lbs, and it certainly makes a difference. PLEASE AIR DOWN...if not for yourself, then for everyone else!

Not starting an argument, but I've driven the whole thing many times just puttsing along at only a few mph with no problems no bumping or over heating and never even bogged down at all

Not starting an argument, but I've driven the whole thing many times just puttsing along at only a few mph with no problems no bumping or over heating and never even bogged down at all
    We Get it! Now we're asking you to 'get it'.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gilly21 View Post
    Most people that don't air down at ff end up stuck before the cedar log. The people that don't air down are the ones that cause all those loopdy loops that make your teeth chatter and bounce your head to the roof. Again just because you can do it doesn't mean you should. These are facts not opinion. You do what you want since it's a free country. Airing down makes it easier to drive on the deep sand, doesn't cause ruts to get cut up, doesn't put undue stress on your transmission and is just good sensable practice for you and your fellow fisherman.
    What Gilly said.....

Tommy

Air down to 20 lbs when you get to the beach, use common sense while traveling between the villages then air up when you get ready to leave. Been doing this for 20+ years driving heavy Suburbans and (knock on wood) never had trouble.

Tommy

Idk a lot of the people that go on fort Fisher don't air down from who I've asked, and a tire that is 10.43" wide is deffinatly wider then all them Cherokees and 4runners even the 1500 and 2500's and most of them air down and leave a bigger rut then I would on a tire that big
    I run a Cherokee with 12.5" wide tires which is pretty standard for flotation tires, please just do us all a favor and start saving our beaches by airing down. Maybe those folks you've talked to who don't air down might consider airing down if done for the right reason instead of some machismo thing.

So I have a question for everyone to consider since this topic has gone into ruts and maintaining drivability of on the beaches. The FF approach specifically seems to get very deep tracks going from everyone driving in the same track, fully aired tires making it all that much worse from what I understand. Is it better to just follow the ruts or is it better to get on the high stuff and push the sand back into the ruts? I am very new to beach driving so maybe I'm asking a dumb question. I run a Cherokee with 12.5's as well so even at 20 lbs I still get almost no "squish" to my tires but I am pretty sure it does help by not displacing as much sand as it would at a normal pressure.

My jeep does well out of the rutt where my ford rides better in them I think that depends on the vehicle.

The principle behind airing down is to make a bigger footprint.......ie floating on top of the sand by deflating........check out this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTnkxrEnt7A

Quote Originally Posted by dsurf View Post
    The principle behind airing down is to make a bigger footprint.......ie floating on top of the sand by deflating........check out this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTnkxrEnt7A
    That says it all

Nice video, Thanks. I have been playing around with running my Jeep at 20 psi all the time and even with a few trips up to Wilmington have not had any problems with just leaving them there. Might try lower yet for the sand to see if it makes driving even easier but then I'd have to air up before heading anywhere very far. I like it at 20 because it isn't my daily driver but if my wife jumps in it I don't have to worry that I've left it sitting unsafe for her to drive a little.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12