Thread: Best pier/surf rod and reel combo?

Best pier/surf rod and reel combo?

Getting back into fishing recently and wanted to start upgrading my gear. Have been getting interested in fishing from both piers and surf so thought I would start the upgrade with a rod and reel that was adequate for both. Was thinking around a 9' rod with a nice spinning reel. Do any of you fishing veterans have an opinion on what's the best? Would be looking to keep this one under $200

...oh and was also thinking about getting the bait runner option on it

If I were you I would get a reel that is suited for both and a separate rod for each type of fishing. Reason being is that 9 foot rods are tough to cast on a pier and you limit yourself to bottom fishing and can't plug with them. A 4000 size reel with 20 pound braid will cover both. It's a little on the small size for surf fishing but will work. A penn fierce will run you about 65 bucks you can get a penn fierce combo from dicks for 100 and that will get you a 7 foot tod and reel that you can plug and bottom fish with and leaves 100 for a surf rod. A 10 or 11 foot penn prevail or tsunami trophy will run you about 85 bucks and your covered for both. Other options for a reel would be a shimano or daiwa in 4000 size but not quite the same line capacity.

Oh and if you want a bait runner type reel I think the okuma avenger is the only reel that is going to be in your price range and still leave you enough money for a decent rod. I'm not a big fan of the okuma but others might have better input on it. I think it has a weak frame and crank handle. I have used one and it flexed a lot when reeling in any amount of weight over 4 ounces.

Doug81, sounds like some sound advice from dchfm123. Thinking of looking into a 10ft Prevail myself. I have a Penn Battle to hang on it. Never had any issue with my avenger... yet.

Have a few avengers and have noticed the flex with them but it hasn't presented a problem yet

Last edited by tomsurles; 08-14-2013 at 12:26 PM. Reason: bad link

Can't think of any bait runners in that range besides the daiwa bite and run and the okuma avenger, I'd go with daiwa

Spend just a few dollars more get a Penn Spinfisher 4500 (Penn makes live liner but it cost more and it's bigger) and a 7' m/h ugly stik for the pier and a 10' ugly stik for the surf use the same reel for both you will love it

But then it will be to big for plugging. If I were you, I'd just go with a 4000 size fierce/sargus and do what Dchfm says

Quote Originally Posted by NC KingFisher View Post
    But then it will be to big for plugging. If I were you, I'd just go with a 4000 size fierce/sargus and do what Dchfm says
    Ditto

What do you already have? Do you have a pole that you could use for one or the other? or could you buy a couple of poles now and wait on a good reel if you already have a decent one? Just trying to combine some of the idea's from above. I'm with DCHFM in that you won't be able to find a single rod that will serve you right in both a pier and surf situation but one reel might.
    For reels I'm all about getting a good Penn reel and not having to worry about it for years, the investment is absolutely worth every penny. Can't say I know as much about the rods, still trying to find ones that I like.

I agree that 9' is a little long for the pier...you might whack someone. 7' is fine. Get an 8' if you need to get more distance. On the pier use monofilament so you don't waste time untangling braid. Braid would be fine from the surf.

A lot of P&S'ers like the Penn Battle. There are a lot of $20 off sales going on now for Penn Battle combos. This fits your price range.

I like the Daiwas. I can't find many reviews of the Opus Plus A (around $70) or Opus Plus baitrunner (around $100) The baitrunner is a huge reel. The Black Gold is about $100. The Emblem Shot is around $106.

There are a lot of rods out there. The Tsunami Trophy, Daiwa Emblem, Daiwa Emcast, Tica UEHA surf rods fit the budget.

Thanks for all the responses. Ive taken notes on all these and am going to try and track them down in person to get a 1st hand look before I make a decision.

I have a rod or 2 that might work for the plugging part of pier fishing. One is a 6'6" MH Ugly Stik with an okuma reel but dont know what size. The other is a 7' M ugly stick with just a cheap walmart/Shakespeare reel.

Ive also decided against the bait runner option, I'll tuck that thought away for the future
    Last edited by Doug81; 08-15-2013 at 11:33 PM. Reason: add a thought

Quote Originally Posted by dchfm123 View Post
    If I were you I would get a reel that is suited for both and a separate rod for each type of fishing. Reason being is that 9 foot rods are tough to cast on a pier and you limit yourself to bottom fishing and can't plug with them. A 4000 size reel with 20 pound braid will cover both. It's a little on the small size for surf fishing but will work. A penn fierce will run you about 65 bucks you can get a penn fierce combo from dicks for 100 and that will get you a 7 foot tod and reel that you can plug and bottom fish with and leaves 100 for a surf rod. A 10 or 11 foot penn prevail or tsunami trophy will run you about 85 bucks and your covered for both. Other options for a reel would be a shimano or daiwa in 4000 size but not quite the same line capacity.

Oh and if you want a bait runner type reel I think the okuma avenger is the only reel that is going to be in your price range and still leave you enough money for a decent rod. I'm not a big fan of the okuma but others might have better input on it. I think it has a weak frame and crank handle. I have used one and it flexed a lot when reeling in any amount of weight over 4 ounces.
    So if I got the fierce combo, which action rod should I get? I think M and MH were both options with the 4000 series reel with 7' pole. Online at least

Without seeing them I could not tell you. Look for something in the 6-12 pound kind range or 1/4-3/4 oz lure range.

I just looked at prices. I think you would really like the battle combo for 110.00. That still leaves you 90 for the surf rod which is plenty for a tsunami trophy or penn prevail in the 10 foot range.

If you get a 4000, either a 8-17 or 10-20, something in that range. I know a older fella who fishes a van stall on a re wrapped ugly stick, because as he loves the action

10-20 might be a little much for plugging

check your local Dick's sporting goods as the Battle 6000's have been on clearance for 60 bucks plus u can use a ten dollar off coupon. Hard to beat for 50 bucks.