Thread: Surf Fishing Question Myrtle Beach

Surf Fishing Question Myrtle Beach

I will be coming down to Myrtle Beach in a couple of weeks, me and some friends enjoy fishing here in Ohio and wanted to try some surf fishing, we have surf fished in Ocean City MD once with no success. I have read the posts regarding Myrtle Beach no shark fishing laws and understand them mostly, we will NOT be targeting shark but we want to catch whatever will bite lol. My question is what can/cant I do so we do not get confronted for shark fishing? We will be doing most of our fishing at night. I will be bringing a 8' and 12' rod which I just bought to give me better casts. If we are fishing and happen to get a shark on the line and reel it in take a picture with our phone and let it go quickly will that attract law enforcement? Any help will be much appreciated we just want to relax and enjoy our vacation with some lines in the water.

Don't yak out tuna heads or chum with hog blood. lol
    If you catch a big shark, you will get attention and someone in the crowd will likely call the cops. Best bet on a large shark is to cut the line and tell everyone watching it was a ray or turtle.

If you catch a small 14 inch shark like I do every Mrytle Beach trip, I doubt that will cause any harm. I always pier fish, and the workers there don't mind if you catch small ones, because sometimes its hard not too. But these aren't the big sharks.

Ok so no giant bait and no blood lol, so would a 12' rod draw attention? I doubt my reel could even handle bringing in a large shark anyways but like I said I don't want to cause any problems.

the easiest way to avoid a hassle is to head to garden city, go past the pier until you cant drive any farther...hit the beach at 5;30 am, and bolt when you start seeing the tourists waking up 10;30 11;00 am, no traffic at that time, and no crowds.....the spinners are inshore now, they are crashing the bait pods, they are really fun to catch. A 5 or 6 footer coming out of the water 6 feet is a cool sight....

Yes, we may have to head down to GC a couple time but we will have a large group of friends (and wives lol) that are going to be with us and most of the time will want to fish in front of our condo. I just hope having a 12' rod wont attract cops to give us a hard time? Like I said we want to catch anything that's willing to bite our hooks lol. Just looking for relaxing fun.

Noone will have a problem with the size...lota peeps fish with 10ft plus in the surf. Get yoursrlf some sandfleas for bait

from my research unless your on the beach with a reel larger than a 4/0 penn or a 30 wt lever drag, I don't think there will be a problem with the law, if you bring in a 5-6 ft shark the law will prolly check it out, but sharks eat cobia baits too, so no law broken.
    js

Quote Originally Posted by jhfisher View Post
    Yes, we may have to head down to GC a couple time but we will have a large group of friends (and wives lol) that are going to be with us and most of the time will want to fish in front of our condo. I just hope having a 12' rod wont attract cops to give us a hard time? Like I said we want to catch anything that's willing to bite our hooks lol. Just looking for relaxing fun.
    This is surf fishing, most people are using 9 to 12 foot rods. The ones using short rods with big reels are the ones that are chasing big sharks. It is not the best idea to fish in the surf at Myrtle, it is a tourist destination. Lots of people walk, tan and swim on the beach. As soon as you hook into a big shark or ray a crowd of people will surround you. There will be people swimming in the water where you are.fishing, this will not work out well. Soon you will have a LEO following you around.while you are fighting the shark or ray. He will be threatening you with fines. I have watched this happen multiple times.
    You can go to a fishing place, or you can hang with the wives and girl friends in MB. You cannot do both at the same time well.
    Fish or.play with the wife. If you want to do both you need to go to a place that is more conducive to doing both. The NC.outer banks might be a better destination if you want to fish while the girls play on the beach.
    The 12 foot will not be the problem.
    Just my $.02 that turned into fifty cents worth of words.

Quote Originally Posted by Eattheflounder View Post
    This is surf fishing, most people are using 9 to 12 foot rods. The ones using short rods with big reels are the ones that are chasing big sharks. It is not the best idea to fish in the surf at Myrtle, it is a tourist destination. Lots of people walk, tan and swim on the beach. As soon as you hook into a big shark or ray a crowd of people will surround you. There will be people swimming in the water where you are.fishing, this will not work out well. Soon you will have a LEO following you around.while you are fighting the shark or ray. He will be threatening you with fines. I have watched this happen multiple times.
    You can go to a fishing place, or you can hang with the wives and girl friends in MB. You cannot do both at the same time well.
    Fish or.play with the wife. If you want to do both you need to go to a place that is more conducive to doing both. The NC.outer banks might be a better destination if you want to fish while the girls play on the beach.
    For what it's worth, I do not do Facebook or any of the other social media BS. HOWEVER, THIS SITE NEEDS A "LIKE" BUTTON. Well said, ETF, well said indeed.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    “To be is to do - Socrates / To do is to be - Sartre / Do Be Do Be Do - Sinatra” -- Kurt Vonnegut

guys sorry there are ways to have a happy medium... for one if you get to the surf early and throw a line out its not tough to keep swimmer away. for two I have caught big butt whitings red drum black drum on the surf at Myrtle Beach, in fact I have had the most success at MB on the surf. three, quite a few peeps can and do both throw a rod out and have wives and kids helping to hunt for sandfleas and swim

also i pretty much surf fish MB at least once a week usually more like 2-3 times a week and I have never had any LEO or anyone bust my chops

Back in the day, when the day was good , on each side of the campground at Pirateland, there were big signs: "No swimming or surfing next 500 feet north" and same for "south." The sign said "Designated fishing area only." Those days are gone. So are the days when we used to chum hog blood at the end of the piers down there. I'm really glad disco died, but that was part of the 70s I wish had stayed.

You're right surfmom, you have to get out early. My experience, though, is that the swimmers and beach walkers do not always stay away from the lines.

I'm honestly surprised Horry County has not passed a "no surf fishing between the hours of xx and xx" ordinance, given how crowded the beaches get, especially this time of year.

Through mid-Mid may and after about Labor Day is not much of a problem in terms of the crowds, but it can be bad on congested areas of beach down there while trying to fish this time of year. Bad. I think that's where ETF is coming from.

My wife and kids fish. I was not "Liking" that part necessarily. HAHA

Somebody awhile back (I think it was mbsandflea) told some stories about LEO and the shark fishing ordinance. It always livens up the SC board. Usually this time of year, we have people coming on here pi$$in and moanin about that ordinance in general. Somebody needs to do that and liven things up.

You'll be ok with the 12-footer, jhfisher, and welcome to P&S. Keep us posted.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    “To be is to do - Socrates / To do is to be - Sartre / Do Be Do Be Do - Sinatra” -- Kurt Vonnegut

i am asking you to reconsider the original post.

Quote Originally Posted by surfmom View Post
    also i pretty much surf fish MB at least once a week usually more like 2-3 times a week and I have never had any LEO or anyone bust my chops
    I agree with a lot of your point Surfmom. In the late summer I have had some cool times fishing in the late afternoon and evening for pomps in the wash while my wife and kids play on the beach and catch sand fleas. Fun memories. The question was about catching sharks. If you are hooked up with a big shark. The point being a response to his desire to catch a big shark. The LEO will tell you to cut the line. You might have 350 yards of line out and you have to.cut it off. I have watched this scenario many times at MB, even in October and November when the tourists are thin. I am not.putting down family fishing at MB. You can catch some fish at MB, it is just not so much a surf fishing place,.especially when the.tourists are in.

ETF

yea I hear ya ETF im talking about not shark fishing Id be pissed if I was with family swimming and someone was purposely trying to attract sharks. I thought the poster was asking about any fishing if you go around what we call the "Golden Mile" area from around 20th ave north to about 60th its all beach front houses, It gets crowded but not nearly as bad as it is in front of the hotels and sometimes we get some pretty good areas where theres a few poles in the water and people generally stay away. God Id be UPSET if they banned surf fishing! In front of a hotel where hundreds of people is another story

I am talking about any fishing, I do not really want to hook into a shark, I want to catch fish......We will be staying down towards spring maid pier in a private condo. Nearly all of our fishing will be done at night and late evening when people really wouldn't be in the water two much, we have ran into that problem a bit when we fished in Ocean City and we advised the people we were fishing and they moved down shored a bit. As I said I do not want a shark my concern was if I hook into a small one and bring it in and let it go immediately will that be ok or will I get fined and yelled at. If I get something huge that hits and I am really struggling to bring it in I will prob. cut the line to avoid breaking anything anyways lol, I just like the idea of throwing my line in and relaxing while hanging with friends and family. Shark fishing would be best done from a boat anyways, I just want to catch some fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Eattheflounder View Post
    Great response. MB is a terrible location for surf fishing. Beaches to flat, little structure. If you have to surf fish then go to one of the jetties at an inlet like at at Huntington Beach State Park.

OK, now we have a lot more information.

Quote Originally Posted by jhfisher View Post
    I am talking about any fishing, I do not really want to hook into a shark, I want to catch fish......We will be staying down towards spring maid pier in a private condo. Nearly all of our fishing will be done at night and late evening when people really wouldn't be in the water two much, we have ran into that problem a bit when we fished in Ocean City and we advised the people we were fishing and they moved down shored a bit. As I said I do not want a shark my concern was if I hook into a small one and bring it in and let it go immediately will that be ok or will I get fined and yelled at. If I get something huge that hits and I am really struggling to bring it in I will prob. cut the line to avoid breaking anything anyways lol, I just like the idea of throwing my line in and relaxing while hanging with friends and family. Shark fishing would be best done from a boat anyways, I just want to catch some fish.
    Now you have shared a precise location. This helps answer your question. If you walk 100 to 500 yards south of your hotel you will find yourself at the northern end of MB State park. This is my favorite stretch of beach for "family beach fishing " at MB. The swimmers and sunbathers don't usually want to walk that far. I raised my older kids playing and fishing there. That is the area I referred to in my earlier post. During low light hours you mighgett into some pomps VERY close to shore. Great dinner. You can hook into a lot of stuff in that stretch of beach. You will still have to answer questions for a lot of beach walkers. If you hook up you will attract a crowd of the walkers. You will find yourself between Springmaid pier and MBSP pier. The bottom is still pretty flat. If I were fishing IN MB not away from town that is a good place to avoid crowds. I hope you have a great time, just don't bait for rays and sharks, MB doesn't want to let people know that rays and sharks are there. I once sat on the MBSP pier and watched a 7 foot long bull shark feeding in 3 feet of water none of the swimmers knew that he was there. Have a great.time.

ETF

Around five or six, the tourists begin to head in to clean up for dinner. This is probably a good time to surf fish. Also, you might want to try one of the piers and surf fish. Do a little bit of both, and see which one you like. Also, you can take your family to one of the piers, and fish in the morning. Once it gets hot around lunch time you can cool off and relax on the beach and swim (unless the fishing is really good). Then in the late afternoon, you can go back and do some more fishing. If you fish at first light and last light, you should be able to avoid the tourists.

Quote Originally Posted by speckhunter80 View Post
    Great response. MB is a terrible location for surf fishing. Beaches to flat, little structure. If you have to surf fish then go to one of the jetties at an inlet like at at Huntington Beach State Park.
    beg to differ

If you just want to catch fish, the pier might be your best bet. I'm not sure about SM pier, but in the summer, it's hard for me to go to GC pier and not catch fish early in the morning. Blues, pins, whiting, the occasional drum and many many many sharks are plentiful. haha

I guess it all depends on your definition of terrible. Does a pinfish and a 10" Pomp make it great? That's a bad day on the OBX and a 10" Pomp has to be thrown back in Florida. No one says fish can't be caught in the Myrtle Beach surf but all things considered (crowds, structure, fish etc.) it is not a good surf fishing destination if you're looking to reel in quality fish. Most people that come on vacation to Myrtle and want to catch a few quality fish are disappointed when they head back up the road.

well we arent at OBX OR Florida we are in Myrtle Beach. If OBX was close would I go? Of course but everyone bashes MB and its BS . try walking the golden mile area plenty of people fishing and we wouldn't be if we got skunked all the time. Ive been to Murrells inlet and veterans pier and didnt catch anything I catch something off the surf at least 90% of the time usually enough for dinner including double whittings and puffers.