PDA

View Full Version : Gear: Reel question, need your expert opinion

arich_5
07-14-2012, 11:23 AM
I go pier or surf fishing 2 or 3 times a year. I've been reading on here a while looking at all the recommendations for equipment and all that, you know, the $150 and $200 reels. I got close to buying a $150 reel and then I started thinking about how I only go twice a year so why should a get a reel used by people that surf fish 2 or 3 times a week? That being said what conventional level wind reel would you recommend for someone in my situation? If you still think one of the $150 reels that's fine, just figured I'd get a more specific opinion before buying a high dollar reel. It'd be for surf and pier fishing. I don't need to be able to cast a mile cause I won't spend enough time to practice to be able to cast a mile. It needs to be level wind cause feeding the line on by hand seems like it'd be a royal pita to me.

solid7
07-14-2012, 11:28 AM
Easy choice for me... Akios. In your case, it would be the 656 CSM, to be exact.

https://owga1.securesites.com/carolinacastpro/akois.htm#1

solid7
07-14-2012, 11:29 AM
Akios 656 CSM. $149.99.

Should you spend that much? Well, a few years ago, I (unexpectedly) ended up moving to a house beachside. That quickly changed my fishing situation. Plan your purchase around how much you would LIKE to fish, and give yourself the expectation that you are buying the reel that you will keep for the rest of your life. That's my philosophy, anyway...

arich_5
07-14-2012, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the info...funny thing is when I was real close to buying, that's the one I had my eye on. Anyone else who wants to chime in, feel welcome.

surfchunker
07-14-2012, 12:39 PM
using a reel without the levelwind will be second nature after 1 trip ...

HStew
07-14-2012, 01:41 PM
Get a 80 dollar spin reel

arich_5
07-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Get a 80 dollar spin reel

Thanks for the advice, but I'd rather have a conventional...I already have a cheap spinning combo I use now.

speckhunter80
07-14-2012, 03:31 PM
I don't use conventionals or baitcasters but Shimano TLD or Penn Gt in conventional fit the bill or Shimano Cardiff or Abu Garcia Ambassador C4 or 7000C3i if you want to go with a casting reel

surfchunker
07-14-2012, 04:17 PM
I don't use conventionals or baitcasters but Shimano TLD or Penn Gt in conventional fit the bill or Shimano Cardiff or Abu Garcia Ambassador C4 or 7000C3i if you want to go with a casting reel

not very good picks ... it shows you don't use them ... a Daiwa 20 saltist or a Penn Squall 15 and you will fall in love ... it's a very short learning curve teaching your left thumb to lay the line and you will get alot more distance without the levelwind ... both are in the $150 range

smacks fanatic
07-14-2012, 04:46 PM
Akios 656 CSM. $149.99.

Plan your purchase around how much you would LIKE to fish, and give yourself the expectation that you are buying the reel that you will keep for the rest of your life. That's my philosophy, anyway...
Exactly! Though I wouldnt go jumping on the Akios train just yet. Look up a reel called a Ming Yang cl60. I is an Abu 7000 knock off but is in fact a very decent knock off. If you decide to get that reel, take out the level wind and put in some ceramic bearings and you will be set with a good reel.

smacks fanatic
07-14-2012, 04:48 PM
A TLD? A Penn GT? I agree with the c4 and the 7000 but the other two are boat reels!

surfchunker
07-14-2012, 05:22 PM
or the Akois 656 one of those 3 for sure

RocknReds
07-14-2012, 09:10 PM
Definetly get the Akios.

speckhunter80
07-14-2012, 09:30 PM
A TLD? A Penn GT? I agree with the c4 and the 7000 but the other two are boat reels!

Hey I qualified it by saying I don't fish conventionals.

NC KingFisher
07-14-2012, 10:37 PM
Not to terribly hard to throw with practice

Reelturner
07-14-2012, 11:00 PM
levelwind.

Before I suggest a good levelwind what was said about leveling the line after a few trips then you would see for yourself really how comfortable it would be to use a non levelwind reel.

A great reel that is levelwind is an OLDER made in Sweden, maroon side plated Abu 7000C3. Not made anymore, great casting reel, quality, good line capacity up to 20# test mono and a lot more braid.

I saw (I think) in the last month that there was an Abu 7000C3 on sale and it was going I believe for less than a $100.

Good luck,

RT

solid7
07-15-2012, 12:46 AM
Exactly! Though I wouldnt go jumping on the Akios train just yet. Look up a reel called a Ming Yang cl60. I is an Abu 7000 knock off but is in fact a very decent knock off. If you decide to get that reel, take out the level wind and put in some ceramic bearings and you will be set with a good reel.

Let me get this straight... You have a problem with pulling the trigger on an Akios, which is a damn awesome reel - but you have no problem with something called a "Ming Yang"?

What is the rationale for that?

solid7
07-15-2012, 12:51 AM
You had to know that when the guy stated EXACTLY what he wanted, he'd get suggestions for everything but that...

arich_5 - If you are afraid to pull the trigger on a reel that costs $150, but want a good solid reel that's time honored, I have a vintage Abu 6500 reel with levelwind. It's the old style with metal internals, and a fixed spool axle. If you are interested, I would like $85 plus shipping for it. I bought several of them in a lot, and I was going to restore them, but there's nothing wrong with them. (just need a bit of cleaning, and minor bits of wear and tear)

smacks fanatic
07-15-2012, 01:16 AM
Let me get this straight... You have a problem with pulling the trigger on an Akios, which is a damn awesome reel - but you have no problem with something called a "Ming Yang"?

What is the rationale for that?
Yes I have a problem with spending 150$ on a "damn awesome" reel When I could spend about 30$ and turn something into a "damn awesome reel".

smacks fanatic
07-15-2012, 01:20 AM
Hey I qualified it by saying I don't fish conventionals.

Hahaha Yes you did. :p

surfchunker
07-15-2012, 01:46 AM
well you get what you pay for ... if those $30 reels were that good Abu would have been out of business years ago

Drumdum
07-15-2012, 06:08 AM
Question I got for you fellas recomending the ole abus and akios? Do they both have the same ole (jerky after a couple of big fish) drags in them or have they upgraded a bit?? Do they both have the same sloooooooow retrieve ratio or is it the same slooooow one? Just me,but if you can find a saltist or squal with a levelwind getya one. jmo..

biggestsquid
07-15-2012, 07:15 AM
One of our buddies gave his son a ying-yang (or whatever) Abu knockoff. Looked pretty --- first blue cat turned the gears to mush. One is doing oneself a favor to spend $ 150-200.00 and buy a reel that he can hand down to his son/daughter. I'm impressed by what that money will get you in quality and design.

AbuMike
07-15-2012, 07:28 AM
Question I got for you fellas recomending the ole abus and akios? Do they both have the same ole (jerky after a couple of big fish) drags in them or have they upgraded a bit?? Do they both have the same sloooooooow retrieve ratio or is it the same slooooow one? Just me,but if you can find a saltist or squal with a levelwind getya one. jmo..

The newer Abu's have upgraded to carbon drags and the Akios also has carbon drag washers I believe, so the jerky jerk problem has been resolved.

solid7
07-15-2012, 10:58 AM
well you get what you pay for ... if those $30 reels were that good Abu would have been out of business years ago

Roger that! I'm not one of the rabid "buy USA" only guys, either... But there is something that makes me cringe when I hear a name like "Ming Yang". Sounds like someone I should have studied about in World History, not something that should be putting on my rod rack.

That being said - I haven't seen one of these "Ming Yang" reels with my own eyes, I admit - but I very seriously doubt that for $30 you are going to get anywhere near the quality of an Akios. In fact, the main selling point of the Omoto and Akios reels, has been that these companies didn't just knock off Abu reels - the product lines were started by people who have been associated, at one time or another WITH Abu Garcia. The Abu Garcias are time proven reels. The only beef that many people have ever had, was that they set their price point to be stocked in Wal-Mart stores, and it brought innovation to a grinding halt. If you want better than a Wal-Mart reel from Abu these days, you have to make a quantum leap in $$$. Akios, on the other hand, doesn't even make a Wal-Mart class reel.

Can you be confident, that for your $30 investment, you are purchasing a lifetime reel? I have no qualms about saying that about the Akios reels that I've seen and used. I've just bought my first Akios, but I spent lots of time with them before pulling the trigger. (it was an informed decision)

RocknReds
07-15-2012, 08:16 PM
Drumdum: The Akios has the drag washers you want and every other mod to make it much better than an Abu.

Hooked Up
07-15-2012, 08:37 PM
Im intrested in what makes the akois any better then the abu that they cleary copied it from.........i personally dont see it......please enlighten me

smacks fanatic
07-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Actually RocknReds, an akios 656 right out of the box would be very similiar to an abu 6500 chrome rocket/blue yonder, or the 7000 mag for that matter.

solid7
07-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Im intrested in what makes the akois any better then the abu that they cleary copied it from.........i personally dont see it......please enlighten me

You're gonna see it for yourself when you come over here to cast with me... I'm pretty certain you'll notice. You've got a heck of a lot more casting experience than I do...

NC KingFisher
07-15-2012, 09:33 PM
First of all soild, STOP INVITING EVERYONE TO YOUR HOUSE. Now that thats over, Arich_5 to answer your question, get a reel that you can also use where ever you live for freshwater duty aswell

Hooked Up
07-15-2012, 09:40 PM
dont get me wrong ive had one apart.........and was part of a casting comparison....akois ,avet, abu ,7ht st.....nothing ive seen makes it a "MUCH" better reel then those mentioned ...they are nice reels yet to be proven.....maybe the differance being im not trying to help people sell reels

solid7
07-15-2012, 10:05 PM
First of all soild, STOP INVITING EVERYONE TO YOUR HOUSE.

Hey, I never invited him to my house. We're supposed to be going to the school yard for casting practice. Hooked Up bet me $20 he could pick a kid out and hit the right one at will.

solid7
07-15-2012, 10:12 PM
dont get me wrong ive had one apart.........and was part of a casting comparison....akois ,avet, abu ,7ht st.....nothing ive seen makes it a "MUCH" better reel then those mentioned ...they are nice reels yet to be proven.....maybe the differance being im not trying to help people sell reels

I can't argue against that comparison, if it's the one that I think you're talking about. Nevertheless, given the reason that Akios started in the first place, I think that's a pretty positive indicator of what they are all about.

I haven't yet figure out what all of the "improvements" are, but from what I've seen and fished so far, it's already a better reel than my faithful 6500 Mag Elite that I've been using for years. (it's one of the good made in Sweden versions) I'm much happier with the dial mag than the stupid sliding thing on the Abu. It is also smoother, but I suppose one might argue that the Abu can be "made" as good, or better. But hey, this is right out of the box...

SpeedRacer
07-15-2012, 10:49 PM
Not trying to hi-jack this thread but I think my question/topic is similar so I'll ask the question.

I'm thinking about going from a non-level wind to a level wind and thinking Akios is the answer. I'm thinking about the Akios 656CSM and using 80PP for my surf rods. I currently have 2 Penn Mag 525 and 1 Squall 15. Pretty happy with them but I'm thinking the Akios with the level wind might make a better dual propose reel. I fish fresh water for big cats sometimes where I need to reel in a bit quicker than I can without a level wind (due to avoiding hang ups). When I reel in my non level wind conventional's with any speed, the line is not laid smoothly thus affecting my distance on my next cast.

How much distance do you guys think a level wind loses vs a non level wind. I'm not planning on using a shock leader since I plan on using 80lbs Power Pro. With braid, is it true that if you pour water over the spool to soak the line, it will further reduce your chance of bird nesting?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

surfchunker
07-15-2012, 11:05 PM
I can't argue against that comparison, if it's the one that I think you're talking about. Nevertheless, given the reason that Akios started in the first place, I think that's a pretty positive indicator of what they are all about.

I haven't yet figure out what all of the "improvements" are, but from what I've seen and fished so far, it's already a better reel than my faithful 6500 Mag Elite that I've been using for years. (it's one of the good made in Sweden versions) I'm much happier with the dial mag than the stupid sliding thing on the Abu. It is also smoother, but I suppose one might argue that the Abu can be "made" as good, or better. But hey, this is right out of the box...

but if I remember your review you bought the Shuttle which is about $250 thats a whole nother ball of string right there ... a better comparison would be an Avet vs the Shuttle

surfchunker
07-15-2012, 11:06 PM
be similar to an Abu with a QTC cage even

solid7
07-15-2012, 11:53 PM
be similar to an Abu with a QTC cage even

Yes, you are right, but like I said, I did my homework. I had several Akios in my hands, not all of which were Shuttles. I still thought they were better than the Abus, and the 656 would be my "go to", if I needed a nimble surf reel. Although I am still trying to work through my Avet issues, because it is such a nice retrieval system. The only reason I got the Shuttle right off the bat, was because the price was right. (I got a good enough deal to make it worthwhile) Otherwise, I would have sprung for a 656 CTM.

For the price point, you get more reel with the Akios, in my opinion. All the Akios reels have the heavy sideplates. Again, you gotta buy the premium Abus to get that, and you pay quite a bit more for it. Heck, looking at the Abu Garcia website, I don't even see a current Abu offering in the 6500 class that even compares with the Akios. They all look like the new generation cheap crap. Where are all of the premium Abu reels? Do they still have a premium line?

Carolina Rebel
07-15-2012, 11:54 PM
I'm no expert, but If you have to have a levelwind, your options are something like this:
Akios 656: Outstanding casting, good drag/line capacity/retrieve speed for fish up to big red drum. These reels have not been around forever, but thus far they seem to hold up well. $150 going rate.
Abu 6500 or 7000: Same as above, though since the consensus seems to be that the Akios is an improved Ambassadeur, the Abu is not quite as good in any category. Tons of modifications available, just in case that's a consideration for you. $50 and up for used models, $100 up for new ones depending on specific model you choose. These reels have been around forever, hold up well, plenty of parts availability if it ever breaks too.
Daiwa Saltist 20H Levelwind: Good casting, but not as good as any of above reels. Tank of a reel though, with better drag, stronger gears, faster retrieve, more heavy duty all around. You can get these new for $150.

You can use all of the above for heavy freshwater in addition to saltwater. I'd buy the Saltist if I were in your shoes, just because of the versatility and durability its build entails. I would also purchase a non-levelwind reel, since levelwinds are always the first thing to fail on so-equipped reels. Non-levelwind reel takes some of the headache out of splicing lines too, in case you ever need a shock leader.

surfchunker
07-15-2012, 11:57 PM
I can get a newlevelwind CS Chrome Rockket for under $175

solid7
07-16-2012, 12:31 AM
I can get a newlevelwind CS Chrome Rockket for under $175

"New," or "new to you"?

I'd still rather have the mag...

surfchunker
07-16-2012, 01:39 AM
new ... Pro rockets for about 125 ... the pretty Purple ones

Drumdum
07-16-2012, 07:08 AM
The newer Abu's have upgraded to carbon drags and the Akios also has carbon drag washers I believe, so the jerky jerk problem has been resolved.

Hold up like the saltist washers? Good deal... :)

Drumdum: The Akios has the drag washers you want and every other mod to make it much better than an Abu.

So that means they are available with faster retrieve as well... Alrighty then... :)

I'm no expert, but If you have to have a levelwind, your options are something like this:
Akios 656: Outstanding casting, good drag/line capacity/retrieve speed for fish up to big red drum. These reels have not been around forever, but thus far they seem to hold up well. $150 going rate.
Abu 6500 or 7000: Same as above, though since the consensus seems to be that the Akios is an improved Ambassadeur, the Abu is not quite as good in any category. Tons of modifications available, just in case that's a consideration for you. $50 and up for used models, $100 up for new ones depending on specific model you choose. These reels have been around forever, hold up well, plenty of parts availability if it ever breaks too.
Daiwa Saltist 20H Levelwind: Good casting, but not as good as any of above reels. Tank of a reel though, with better drag, stronger gears, faster retrieve, more heavy duty all around. You can get these new for $150.

You can use all of the above for heavy freshwater in addition to saltwater. I'd buy the Saltist if I were in your shoes, just because of the versatility and durability its build entails. I would also purchase a non-levelwind reel, since levelwinds are always the first thing to fail on so-equipped reels. Non-levelwind reel takes some of the headache out of splicing lines too, in case you ever need a shock leader.

I'm a saltist guy as well,although they have done the modifications above,abus or akios may be worth looking into.. That is IF my two saltist EVER kick the bucket... :D

surfchunker
07-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Hold up like the saltist washers? Good deal... :)

So that means they are available with faster retrieve as well... Alrighty then... :)

I'm a saltist guy as well,although they have done the modifications above,abus or akios may be worth looking into.. That is IF my two saltist EVER kick the bucket... :D

Tater might see them wear out ... I also checked into the bigger Akois and it only has a retieve of 4.7:1 ... super slow

solid7
07-16-2012, 11:20 AM
Tater might see them wear out ... I also checked into the bigger Akois and it only has a retieve of 4.7:1 ... super slow

Sorry, chunker, the devil is in the details...

Abu Garcia 7500C - 5.3:1, 28 inches per turn
Abu Garcia 7000i - 4.1:1, 22 inches per turn

Akios 757 CS - 4.3:1, 30 inches per turn

Even with the lower gear ratio, it has a more aggressive retrieve than the Abu.

surfchunker
07-16-2012, 11:57 AM
well I'm keeping my two 7500 CT's, my BY and my Saltist but if I buy another it will be another Saltist ... but those 7500's have some good Mojo and that goes a long way .... also how loud is the clicker on the Akois ... can't be anywhere near as loud as the Daiwa's and that's a biggie when night fishing ... you can hear them a long ways off :)

River
07-17-2012, 10:26 AM
Akios has now introduced the 757 CTM and CSM in a 5.5:1 ratio, I just stocked them at Teaches last week - We have the complete line of Akios Reels at The Roost also all the Cast Pro Series Rods by Tommy Farmer - by the way, I'm on the Pro Staff for Akios Reels and have 4 Akios Shuttles hanging on the front of my truck, where they've been most of the time since Febuary, I will never say anything bad about Abu's, they have served me well over the years and some will go on the wall as memories - but I am very impressed at this point with Akios and their durability/castibility, I'm tough on equipment but so far they are performing very well - River

solid7
07-17-2012, 10:38 AM
surfchunker - the clickers on the Akios are louder than any Abu that I own, except for the really old ones. (with the long plastic legs - those things are the balls when it comes to loud clickers)

AbuMike
07-17-2012, 02:10 PM
And the Akios 757 holds more #20 mono than the Saltist 30 or the SLSH 30...

surfchunker
07-17-2012, 03:08 PM
size wise how are they to a 7500 ... I was talking to Tommy about the gear ratio on those and he said he'd check into a faster retrieve ... guess he made it happen

How does the clicker compair to the Daiwa's ... they can wake the dead ... almost

AbuMike
07-17-2012, 04:30 PM
size wise how are they to a 7500 ... I was talking to Tommy about the gear ratio on those and he said he'd check into a faster retrieve ... guess he made it happen

How does the clicker compair to the Daiwa's ... they can wake the dead ... almost

325yds of #17 mono..clicker is pretty loud.

RocknReds
07-20-2012, 08:06 PM
Tested on a measured course. The Akios 656 levelwind threw 90% of the distance of the non-levelwind. That's extremely good for a levelwind.

RocknReds
07-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Follow up of previous page. Some of the merits of the new Akios Reel are: Great drag washers, larger spindle so you don't bend the spindle with heavy sinkers, stainless spool bearings, neopreme reel case with velcro fastings, larger knobby mag control (no slider to bump), 300 yd line capacity with 15# test line, high quality aluminum spool that doesn't need balancing and more. This reel is the best bang for the buck.

Hooked Up
07-20-2012, 08:36 PM
who performed the test and where can i get these reels

NTKG
07-20-2012, 09:40 PM
me and everyone i know that bought one, sold the shuttles.

if you want a reel that will last at a reasonable price buy a used daiwa or penn with a levelwind. they will be hard to find being that most of the used one do not have levelwinds.

otherwise, the used abus are good as well. depending on what your planning to catch with it a 6500 should work.

solid7
07-20-2012, 09:43 PM
me and everyone i know that bought one, sold the shuttles.

Why is that? I kinda in love with mine...

NTKG
07-20-2012, 09:46 PM
lets just say we all, several of us, had bought one, two, three of the shuttles a piece. none of us own one anymore........

Solid, i'd be more than happy to pm with you about it.

they do cast very well though....

as a disclaimer we bought them for far less than retail. 250 for a reel is about ridiculous if you ask me. maybe we got knock offs? no we didn't but lets just say that......

solid7
07-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Solid, i'd be more than happy to pm with you about it.

Please, by all means...

NTKG
07-20-2012, 09:57 PM
Please, by all means...

sent.

Also, to compare a diawa drag to an akios just aint right.

Drumdum
07-22-2012, 10:40 AM
sent.

Neil,ya just answered my earlier question....

AbuMike
07-22-2012, 10:46 AM
sent.

Not saying I agree or disagree but till you pull a big fish on one how do you know ???

Neil,ya just answered my earlier question....

Not trying to be a dick here Kenny but I guess Neil is the only opinion you believe ????

NTKG
07-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Mike, Kenny,

I've pulled on a few rays and drum on the shuttle versions of the akios.

I guess what I'm saying is that a stock 6500 doesn't compare to one with the carbontex + ss flat washers, however if there's too much drag applied the damn spool spindle bends, as ya'll know.

The upgraded 6500's with the little trick tres showed me are about the same as the akios, which is fine for me, as ya'll know I fish 98% of the time with a 6500. That being said as far as the diawa, I mean imho its got the smoothest drag of the bunch. I rarely see the "dip, dip, dip" when someone is bowed up with a diawa, but me included it definately happens with the 525's, 6500's, akios etc. Maybe i put more pressure than some? I don't know about the squalls yet bc i haven't caught any drum on them, but pulled some reasonable biters in with them (that trip i took pictures of you and tater kenny), and the drag was def not as smooth as my diawas.

AbuMike
07-22-2012, 11:55 AM
Well there ya go, stick with the Saltist.......

solid7
07-22-2012, 02:10 PM
This is just one man's opinion, but I was having a conversation with my buddy today on the casting field...

For me, this is a personal matter. Am I going to sell all of the Abu reels that I own, and convert to Akios? No. They are very similar reels, and used for the same purpose. The key here, is that not everyone will share my opinions of what makes the Akios supposedly better. I have always said, I hate the sliding mag thingy. Some guys love it. I like the heavier side plates. Some guys like the lighter ones. Some guys like having a bin full of spare parts. And to be perfectly honest, that's the weakness right now with the Akios.

It's not a WOW so much better than an Abu that I can't buy anything else reel. It's a light, nimble reel, and some might want to fish it for drum. Others may want to go with a heavier reel. Whatever floats your boat. I made the recommendation of the Akios because I thought it was a VERY GOOD all around surf reel, with all of the features that *I* like to use.

NTKG and I chatted by PM, and he brings some valid points of concern. I'll wait and see. If they are a problem for the type of fishing that I do, I'll definitely do what it takes to correct them, up to the point of withdrawing my support for the reel. However, until then, any reels that I buy in that class, will probably be Akios reels. Unless, of course, I get some good deals on the P&S marketplace. I have absolutely no problem with buying Abu reels, either.

NTKG
07-22-2012, 02:14 PM
Well there ya go, stick with the Saltist.......

but if i do that i can't reach the fish.

Hooked Up
07-22-2012, 05:09 PM
http://www.therocketreelcompany.com/en/parts-upgrades/64-long-life-stainless-steel-pinion-gear.html

Drumdum
07-22-2012, 08:08 PM
Not saying I agree or disagree but till you pull a big fish on one how do you know ???

Not trying to be a dick here Kenny but I guess Neil is the only opinion you believe ????

Mike,not say'n your a dick either,but no one really gave me a direct compairison between saltist and akios?? SO,when Neil did so,and yes I do know Neil and know how he pulls on a fish,I went from there.. I already have two saltist,right now there is no need to change,but in truth,I did like the abus of the past (other than drags and retrieve) and will give the akios a try,as they are very similar.. I have casted one that Tommy F brought here and like the way it casted,but never tested the drag on a fish or otherwise for that matter..So sooner or later I will find a freind with one and give it a test drive,but those saltist have been incredibly tough... And no Mike,not trying to discount anyone's opinion...

RocknReds
07-22-2012, 08:12 PM
Hooked Up: Eric Hoag and I tested them out on the beach at Buxton and measured with a measuring wheel. We were both using Tommy Farmer 11' 3-6oz rods . Eric was throwing a regular 656 and I was throwing a 656 levelwind. Eric was throwing around 540' and I was throwing around 515'. Eric used 14# Sakuma mono and I used 50# Suffix braid. Both of us were using 5oz sinkers. You can buy these reels at most of the Outer Banks tackle shops except Frank and Frans and Red Drum Tackle. Hope this helps. By the way: I got rid of 2 6500 Green Abus and 2 Diawa 7HT Millionaires and replaced them sith Akios reels and glad I did.

Hooked Up
07-22-2012, 08:41 PM
I did get the chance to cast one of these Much better then abu reels today and they seem like nice reels .....but to use the word much sounds like a sales pitch to me...but this is a blog and its up to the individual reading it to decide on its validity.....maybe a Pro Caster will set down there abus and daiwas long enough to set a new world record with it and ill hop on the much better train

NC KingFisher
07-22-2012, 09:16 PM
I can out cast all of you with my penn 9/0, 6' 50-100 rod, and a kayak:p

Reelturner
07-23-2012, 07:12 PM
NTKG,

Please check you mailbox. Yours is full. I sent you a PM

RT